Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the 2011 XTC 1 on Feb 17th. Had abdominal surgery on Feb. 18th (4" slice between the belly button and the sternum). Doc said no bike till St. Patty's day:bluefrown:

Today it was 70 degrees with perfect blue sky. The weather has been pure crap for three months. I stepped into the garage and it was too much. I looked at that beautiful black sexy new bike and said "Screw the Rules!" iRide :thumbsup:

The quintessential white garage door picture.

Just a ride around town, but WOW is this bike great....See the Smile:D

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
I'll say it :) you got away with it and seem happy about it :)
Weigh risk vs reward though , a 4" incision likely means 4" of muscle seperation and thats gonna take 8-12 months of real rehab to really heal strong for good,

Your number one priority should be perfect recovery ! Your body is more vulnerable than you think right now. You DO NOT wanna mess yourself up permenantly my friend :)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,394 Posts
My Dr.'s restriction was made clear to me in these words:

"You're OK to ride - you're not OK to fall."

That meant stay away from anything that will make me strain, reflexively react, or assume a strange posture.

So riding was OK.:D

...as long as I stayed on, say, a vacant basketball court.

Heal well! (that's still gotta be pretty raw - be careful)

-F

·
Registered
84 Posts
i had hernia surgery (nutsack hernia) and 5 weeks later did a race. Super sore and would not recommend overdoing it.

So so tempting though. the new black bike is sexy.

·
ride more
2,626 Posts
SNBS ( shiny new bike syndrome ) is it's own medical problem that can only be cured by riding. Looks like you took care of that, so you should just call it therapy... Nice bike btw.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The best way to recover is to think about somebody that has it worse then you. I had a femural neck fracture from a winter crash landing and I am just starting to walk without crutches three months later. Spring is here and still looking at the bike hangin in the garage!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts