Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not such a big deal in itself but I think it's enough to just keep Specialized off the list of contenders when ever I'm looking for anything bike related.

I needed some new shoes and after looked around a little bit decided that their Comp Mtbs were good enough and pretty cheap so I ordered some on Sunday night from their on line store. I was a bit confused about the sizing since I wear a 9 1/2 and fit perfectly into a 43.5 Sidi, however Spesh had 9 1/2 equating to 42.5. I figured well they are an American company no matter where there stuff is produced and I'm pretty sure those shoes aren't made in Europe so I ordered the 42.5s. Then on Monday I called customer service to ask about it. The guy really didn't have any definite answer but said that European sizing is usually more accurate. Wtf is that supposed to mean? So he is saying that they are a full size off? And that in US sizing if I'm a 9 1/2 I could just as easily fit into a 8 1/2 or a 10 1/2 depending on manufacturing. Sorry not real world. He said I needed to try them on. Like that is reasonable. If I could try them on I would buy them in a store. It's not like they offer any discount on line.

Last winter I also had trouble when I wanted to order some Fortress Gloves. I tried their sizing recommendations then even went to the store to try some on. They didn't have any of that model and the others I tried on varied in size so much from model to model that I really wasn't any closer to knowing. So I didn't get them at that point, but was going to take a risk and added some larges along with a different pair as well to this order.

So the guy says go with the 43.5 (10 1/2) since that is what I wear with Sidi. I'm skeptical but agree and tell him to change the order, less than 12 hours after I place it even though I was worried about the hassle of returning them and was pretty sure Spesh wouldn't pay for return shipping so I'd have to eat that. He tells me that all he can do is cancel the order and I need to reorder, which is about a 10 minute process on line after finding, selecting and filling out all the info. Sorry not going to happen.

So I start telling the guy that this is a good example of the bad reputation that Spesh has with the mtb community and start to tell him a story about how I bought one of the first ever Specialized bikes way back when and how they wouldn't uphold a warranty after my steer tube bent because they said the mtb wasn't designed to ride off of curbs and how skirting responsibility apparently still goes on with warranty claims to this day, but before I could get a couple of sentences off the guy hung up on me. I called corporate yesterday to explain my concern but got a voice mail and no returned phone call.

If the guy had just listened to me btch a little bit and maybe said sorry or something I would have let it go but after adding it all up I can just as easily not buy from the company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stupendous Man said:
So someone must listen to your rant...If its not the dude from specialized, its the mtbr community.
Yes. If you had a problem with a major company I would want to hear about it.
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
modifier said:
Yes. If you had a problem with a major company I would want to hear about it.
One rule of thumb in life when it comes to shoes. Always try them on before you buy as every company and shoe maker - whether it's sneakers, dress shoes, hiking boots, ski boots, or cycling shoes is not a uniform size/cut.

Seek out an LBS that is a Specialized dealer and try on a few pairs and styles to get a more accurate idea of what your particular foot feels the most comfortable wearing in the Specialized (or any) brand. Bring along your inserts (if you use any) and socks to get the most accurate fit.

If you still want to save money and get a better deal (and the LBS won't price match), at least you know what size to order. Nobody on the other side of the phone is going to be able to fit your foot over the telephone. Good luck with that...

I know Sidi has a download foot sizing profile that you can print out and stand on to get an idea about length and width, but I don't know about Specialized.

[email protected]
 

·
Make some music
Joined
·
740 Posts
Try it on.

Buying clothes or shoes without trying it on is a sure recipe for failure for me. No matter what company is selling it or making it. If I must mail order I order three pairs of shoes. One in each size on each side of what I think I need. Don't get me wrong, I don't do that very often. LBS is the answer here. Sounds like you should have stuck with Sidi if you know what fits in that shoe.

I don't see how this is a Specialized issue as much as it is a mail order issue.

Try before you buy, you'll be happier. (LBS for clothes.)

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
Yeah, if it were me I would just pick one of the ten billion LBS Specialized dealers and try on some Spec shoes, they are probably equivalent in sizing across the board. Or at worst ask them to get Spec to ship a couple sizes in the shoes and gloves and you will buy the ones that fit. Probably wouldn't be a big deal. Its tough buying clothes online but in this case you have a huge dealer network to use instead. Like you said, its not like the price is different. Say what you want about Spec but they have pretty decent shoes and gloves.
 

·
Crazed Country Rebel
Joined
·
6,345 Posts
modifier said:
It's not such a big deal in itself but I think it's enough to just keep Specialized off the list of contenders when ever I'm looking for anything bike related.

I needed some new shoes and after looked around a little bit decided that their Comp Mtbs were good enough and pretty cheap so I ordered some on Sunday night from their on line store. I was a bit confused about the sizing since I wear a 9 1/2 and fit perfectly into a 43.5 Sidi, however Spesh had 9 1/2 equating to 42.5. I figured well they are an American company no matter where there stuff is produced and I'm pretty sure those shoes aren't made in Europe so I ordered the 42.5s. Then on Monday I called customer service to ask about it. The guy really didn't have any definite answer but said that European sizing is usually more accurate. Wtf is that supposed to mean? So he is saying that they are a full size off? And that in US sizing if I'm a 9 1/2 I could just as easily fit into a 8 1/2 or a 10 1/2 depending on manufacturing. Sorry not real world. He said I needed to try them on. Like that is reasonable. If I could try them on I would buy them in a store. It's not like they offer any discount on line.

Last winter I also had trouble when I wanted to order some Fortress Gloves. I tried their sizing recommendations then even went to the store to try some on. They didn't have any of that model and the others I tried on varied in size so much from model to model that I really wasn't any closer to knowing. So I didn't get them at that point, but was going to take a risk and added some larges along with a different pair as well to this order.

So the guy says go with the 43.5 (10 1/2) since that is what I wear with Sidi. I'm skeptical but agree and tell him to change the order, less than 12 hours after I place it even though I was worried about the hassle of returning them and was pretty sure Spesh wouldn't pay for return shipping so I'd have to eat that. He tells me that all he can do is cancel the order and I need to reorder, which is about a 10 minute process on line after finding, selecting and filling out all the info. Sorry not going to happen.

So I start telling the guy that this is a good example of the bad reputation that Spesh has with the mtb community and start to tell him a story about how I bought one of the first ever Specialized bikes way back when and how they wouldn't uphold a warranty after my steer tube bent because they said the mtb wasn't designed to ride off of curbs and how skirting responsibility apparently still goes on with warranty claims to this day, but before I could get a couple of sentences off the guy hung up on me. I called corporate yesterday to explain my concern but got a voice mail and no returned phone call.

If the guy had just listened to me btch a little bit and maybe said sorry or something I would have let it go but after adding it all up I can just as easily not buy from the company.
Anything that has to touch your body for long periods of time should always be tried out before purchasing.

Except certain adults products. That would be gross!
 

·
Fat & Single
Joined
·
4,176 Posts
Just right mate , if the company doesnt listen, MTBR will definately comment !

In this day and age can they afford for MTBR to have an opinion ? Theres a load of riders here with many opinions !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I agree with the others, this is not an issue with Specialized in my opinion. I think people rely way to heavily on internet purchases. You should have gone to an LBS and tried on/ bought shoes. No amount of internet research will make up for that personal touch, information, and peice of mind.

So because you did want to drive down to a store to purchase a product the customer service rep for specialized should listen to you moan about a bike from 25 years ago?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
I'm far from an advocate for Specialized, I have many issues with them, but I don't see how this is their fault, I also don't see how the customer service rep deserved an earful of something that wasn't his fault. Why did you wait until after you placed your order to call them? You should have called first and confirmed that they would cover return shipping, otherwise, go to a bike shop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Stratocaster said:
Try before you buy, you'll be happier. (LBS for clothes.)

Good luck.
And even then you can still make a mistake. As I did recently. Tried on some shoes at LBS and when I got home and had more time to wear them around the house and take my liesure, noticed that they were just a bit too big. I just went back to the shop and exchanged for a different set. Done and done!
 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top