Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After replacing the broken rear pivot bolt on my Sugar 2+ I notices that the screw that holds the bolt in place will unscrew while riding.

When I fixed the pivot bushing some time ago I noticed that some kind of glue/adhesive was used to keep the screw tight - this "glue" "broke" after I applied some force and unscrewed the screw.

Can anyone give me a hint on which adhesive is being used to do this?
Do you know of any improvised materials that will have the same effect? (flour mixed with water, water based wood glue etc...).

At the moment I have to tighten the screw after every ride - this is not practical...

Help is much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gmcttr said:
You want a MEDIUM strength thread lock like Blue Loctite 242.
Hi gmcttr,

I am a bit a shamed but I must admit I was the blame for the screw getting unscrewed. After I replaced the bolt I also applied grease to its inner part and the screw itself so it will be protected from rust. This is not a very smart thing as the bolt is made out of aluminum and the screw out of stainless steel (I think) so there is not real risk of rust building up there. Second thing - the grease worked really well and lubricated the screw that got unscrewed by the bike vibrations.

What I did was to clean the bolt and the screw from the grease (that took some time...) and after that I applied the LOCTITE just as you instructed me. I used the bike one time since and the screw seems to be holding tight, or should I say tite? ;-)

So - a big thank you to you for this information! :)

Have a nice day

1 - 3 of 3 Posts