Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrecked and didn't notice I scratched the stachion on my rear shock. My shock now leaks air when I ride it but seems to hold air when I don't. Is there a repair that I can do and did I damage the seals? Do I just need to send it somewhere and, if so, what am I looking at re: cost.?

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
I'll just mention that the outer surfaces of fork and dropper stanchions (as in that vid) don't create an air seal for the air spring so leaking is not really an issue when repairing them. The outside of a shock stanchion does create one of the seals for the air spring, so a repair can be more problematic.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,186 Posts
Nail polish wears off after a couple rides, I've noticed. Epoxy of some type is needed. Given the small seal radius of a rear shock, I doubt you'd be able to achieve a round-enough fix that would slide past the seals without disturbing them. This would be a tough repair IMO and it would be better to get the replacement part and reassemble the shock (send it to Fox and have them replace it).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Recently went through this. Scratched the outer body, and then kept loosing air. So much so that I had to pump up after almost every trail. Annoying my scratch was close to my sag point.The outer body and seal kit (+shipping) were $97 direct from Fox. I replaced the tube myself and it wasn't overly difficult. Mind you, there are quite a few clamps and special tools you need for this. Unless you have a vacuum setup, I wouldn't attempt this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wrecked and didn't notice I scratched the stachion on my rear shock. My shock now leaks air when I ride it but seems to hold air when I don't. Is there a repair that I can do and did I damage the seals? Do I just need to send it somewhere and, if so, what am I looking at re: cost.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts