Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clipped some rocks today and put a 1/8th inch scratch in my talas right/rebound leg near the seal.
What can expect damage wise in cost, performance and fixing it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
On my boxxers, I found that getting the finest grade sandpaper you can find, and liberally coating it in wet lube, one could polish a surprisingly large scracth out to the point it no longer affected the seals. Granted, it's going to be tougher on an air fork, what with the tighter seals involved, but still, maybe worth a try?

·
Never enough time to ride
1,577 Posts
Fortunatley, the oil seals/wipers don't hold any of the air in, that's all contained inside the right side stanchion.

But yeah, if you can find some 2000 grit sand paper, Testors sanding films work extrememly well and are easy to find at any worth while hobby shop, you can gently sand down the sharp edges and it should be good to roll for a while longer.

happy trails...

squish

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
those testors films are sweet! i hadnt thought of them for literally decades. good call squish!

damage may likely be minimal as has been said. replacement might be in the $200 - $250 range includin labor but im pullin that # outta the sky.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Scratched Stankshuns! OMG.

hope the fine papers work well for you. I've seen a buddy use some jb weld on deeper gouges. The lesser scratches are really no big deal once sanded.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.