Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jman1 said:
First time poster (?).

Is there any fix to a scratched stanchion?
clear nail polish and very fine sand paper should work but if it's not affecting the seals such that excess oil makes its way out, just leave it alone.

·
Registered
354 Posts
scratched or gouged?

for minor scratches heavy duty clear nail polish works nicely. The stuff that a manicurist uses is what you want. dab it on, then after it dries buff it out with super fine grit sand paper... does not last forever but its quick, easy and lots cheaper than a new stanction.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a scratch

First of all, thanks to both of you.

What happened is that the inner spring of the seal came off and contacted the stanchion. The scratch is perfectly straight, about 1/2 of a mm wide and about 3 inches long. I love the fork and don't have the cabbage to cough up enough for a new one. And yes, it's directly above the disc brake, and yes, if you hear a horrible howl in central PA, it's me.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Jman1 said:
First of all, thanks to both of you.

What happened is that the inner spring of the seal came off and contacted the stanchion. The scratch is perfectly straight, about 1/2 of a mm wide and about 3 inches long. I love the fork and don't have the cabbage to cough up enough for a new one. And yes, it's directly above the disc brake, and yes, if you hear a horrible howl in central PA, it's me.
I reckon it's not longer under warranty; right? 0.5mm x 3" is pretty big. Is oil coming out of it?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
As suggested, nail polish or super glue, followed by a very fine grit sandpaper. I know a guy that used JB Weld on his Sherman. The color is kindof off, but is otherwise perfect. Took a while to get the thing perfectly filled and smooth.

·
customized
3,123 Posts
Whatever you use to seal the scratch, let it dry very thoughly.

I would use the finest sandpaper you can find and seriously take your time. Try to only sand the effected area. An fine emery board might work well.

If it takes two hours to do it right... spend the two hours. You only get out of it what you put in. Sucks the damage takes an instant and the fix can seem like it takes ages.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the input....

Severum said:
Whatever you use to seal the scratch, let it dry very thoughly.

I would use the finest sandpaper you can find and seriously take your time. Try to only sand the effected area. An fine emery board might work well.

If it takes two hours to do it right... spend the two hours. You only get out of it what you put in. Sucks the damage takes an instant and the fix can seem like it takes ages.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.