Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im looking into buying a fox 36 talas from a friend. but there is one problem, it has a pretty deep scratch on the stanchion. he said that it doesnt effect the performance at all. but i know that its not good to have.

my question is what is so bad about having a scratch on the stanchion and is there anything that can be done to fix it. ie. warranty through fox, or putting some sort of paste on there. and for the hell of it, how much would it be to replace them if it came to that.

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
It's not a warranty issue. How long has your friend been running the fork with the scratch? It's not affecting the seal at all? If it's a deep scratch that's hard to believe but without pics or a better description hard to know over the internet at all. You might be able to patch it with an epoxy or something, but that may not work in the long run. If you need new stanchion/crown/steerer assembly it'll probably cost a few hundred plus labor, so it really depends on how much your friend wants you to pay for them...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
It's not a warranty issue. How long has your friend been running the fork with the scratch? It's not affecting the seal at all? If it's a deep scratch that's hard to believe but without pics or a better description hard to know over the internet at all. You might be able to patch it with an epoxy or something, but that may not work in the long run. If you need new stanchion/crown/steerer assembly it'll probably cost a few hundred plus labor, so it really depends on how much your friend wants you to pay for them...
he bought the fork with the bike used... so who knows how long that scratch has been there. the fork is off an 07 specialized enduro. assuming that is an 07 talas, what would be a price worth jumping at considering the scratch and all.

·
Old man on a bike
12,399 Posts
Linga115 said:
he bought the fork with the bike used... so who knows how long that scratch has been there. the fork is off an 07 specialized enduro. assuming that is an 07 talas, what would be a price worth jumping at considering the scratch and all.
Well, I wouldn't want a Talas myself, so it's not something I'd jump at....but I suppose I'd think maybe 50% of retail less new stanchion set, so maybe around 250. Assuming that it has a long enough steerer...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.