Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It looks like we're going to postpone the introduction of a new Atlas frame for a while. We may have the existing SP (single-pivot) version back in the line-up mid-year, but first we want to explore some new frame possibilities.

We had announced expected February/March launch of a multi-link Atlas suspension frame called FSS for 2008, but we're shelving that for two reasons. First, we were challenged by DW-Link for patent infringement. I don't think their challenge would hold up, but IBEX is a small company and we just can't justify the legal expenses involved in defending our position. Secondly, the prototype showed an inordinate sensitivity to shock tuning. While we may have been able to sort that out, I'm just as happy to go back to the drawing board.

So, as it stands right now, there will be no new Atlas bikes available for early Spring 2008. We may have SP bikes ready again for late-Spring or Summer, but that will depend on our progress with new designs. If we're making steady headway with a newer frame, we may want to just wait until Fall and introduce it as a 2009 model.

If we end up waiting to release new Atlases as 2009's the timing would, hopefully, also coincide with the intro of our new Zone FR bikes. That one is well underway already. I'm very happy with how it looks on paper and we should have a test bike ready in about 4 to 6 weeks. The new Zone will be a high-mount SP design with 7+ inches of travel. It's a very clean design, similar in overall look to the 1st generation Atlas. We're going with single-crown forks, but will use a 1.5" steerer for front-end stiffness. Stock bike will run two-ring cranks with a bash ring, but the frame will have integrated mounts for a chain guide if you're so inclined to install one.

I'll also mention here that we're playing with 650B (27.5") wheels for MTB application. I've gotten some great coaching from Kirk Pacenti (the man behind the 650B movement) and my early read on this says that we are extremely likely to launch 650B FS bikes for 2009. We'd been planning to get into 29er FS, but there are a lot of inherent drawbacks to work around. The 650B wheel size gives you much the same advantage in rolling ease as a 29er without so many of the design problems (wheel integrity issues, toe overlap, suspension limitations, etc...). For 2008 we still have the Section-29 hardtail in our line-up, but might consider replacing it with a 650B hardtail for 2009 as well.

So, now you're up-to-date on IBEX's most noteworthy near-term MTB projects. We've got a great line-up for 2008 (even without the Atlas), and will be expanding our horizons even further by year's end.

Best regards,
Jack A.
IBEX Bicycles

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sorry to hear about the new Atlas, it looked like it was going to be a great frame. I can definitely attest that the good 'ol single pivot Atlas is an excellent frame.

Let us know when we can start pre-ordering the new Zones, I definitely want to be one of the first to rock an '09 Zone. Until then my Atlas Pro will be taking some major super-clyde abuse (So for the love of my Atlas get that one out quick ;) )

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Jack,

For your sake I'm glad the Atlas frame issue came about before you were to far into production
and the Pre-Launch had gotten on it's way..The legal system can be a draining nightmare..

As for the New Zone there seems to be a market..Funny how things work out, go figure ;)

This new 650B FS, do you have any links so I can educate myself on the subject?

Hang in there :thumbsup:

Jake..

PS. Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year..

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jake Pay said:
Jack,

For your sake I'm glad the Atlas frame issue came about before you were to far into production
and the Pre-Launch had gotten on it's way..The legal system can be a draining nightmare..

As for the New Zone there seems to be a market..Funny how things work out, go figure ;)

This new 650B FS, do you have any links so I can educate myself on the subject?

Hang in there :thumbsup:

Jake..

PS. Merry Christmas and a Happy Prosperous New Year..
Here is a starting point. :cool:

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
big_mountain_biker said:
Sorry to hear about the new Atlas, it looked like it was going to be a great frame. I can definitely attest that the good 'ol single pivot Atlas is an excellent frame.

Let us know when we can start pre-ordering the new Zones, I definitely want to be one of the first to rock an '09 Zone. Until then my Atlas Pro will be taking some major super-clyde abuse (So for the love of my Atlas get that one out quick ;) )
It'll be a good long while before we get to the point of taking pre-orders, but you should start seeing some preliminary photos and such in a few weeks. I suspect there will be lots of info and discussion here for quite a while before we have a solid launch date or firm pricing info.

I can share the component specs planned for the 1st prototype... and these are pretty close to what I envision on a "Pro" version for production:

Frame: 7+" travel Single-Pivot / 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox Totem Solo Air
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Vivid
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
Crankset: (FSA) Gravity Light / Bash-Ring/32/22T
Cassette: Shimano XT / 11-34T
Brakes: Avid Code w/ 8" Rotors
Wheelset: (FSA) Gravity -or- Sun MTX Rims on Novatec Hubs (testing both... 20mm front either way)
Cockpit Set: (FSA) Gravity Light

We're also anticipating a Zone Expert model with a Domain fork, SRAM X9 drivetrain and Avid Code 5 brakes.

On the heels of the ultra-successful launch of their Stroker brakes, Hayes indicates that they're planning on introducing new dual-pot FR brakes to compete with the Avid Code and Code 5. So, by the time we get down to it, the production biikes might carry those new Hayes offerings. I'll get to see what other new goodies are coming out for 2009 at the Taipei show in a couple of months. Needless to say, my plans for the specs can change rapidly when hypnotized by new nifties!

JA

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ibexbikes said:
It'll be a good long while before we get to the point of taking pre-orders, but you should start seeing some preliminary photos and such in a few weeks. I suspect there will be lots of info and discussion here for quite a while before we have a solid launch date or firm pricing info.

I can share the component specs planned for the 1st prototype... and these are pretty close to what I envision on a "Pro" version for production:

Frame: 7+" travel Single-Pivot / 6061 Aluminum
Fork: Rock Shox Totem Solo Air
Rear Shock: Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 HV (High Volume)
Shifters: Shimano XT Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow
Crankset: (FSA) Gravity Light / Bash-Ring/32/22T
Cassette: Shimano XT / 11-34T
Brakes: Avid Code w/ 8" Rotors
Wheelset: (FSA) Gravity -or- Sun MTX Rims on Novatec Hubs (testing both)
Cockpit Set: (FSA) Gravity Light

We're also anticipating a Zone Expert model with a Domain fork, SRAM X9 drivetrain and Avid Code 5 brakes.

On the heels of the ultra-successful launch of their Stroker brakes, Hayes indicates that they're planning on introducing new dual-pot FR brakes to compete with the Avid Code and Code 5. So, by the time we get down to it, the production biikes might carry those new Hayes offerings. I'll get to see what other new goodies are coming out for 2009 at the Taipei show in a couple of months. Needless to say, my plans for the specs can change rapidly when hypnotized by new nifties!

JA
That Pro build looks amazing, almost exactly the bike I would build if doing it myself.

If the build isn't completely settled just yet, a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 and Saint two ring crankset would make it even more difficult to enter my credit card number into the Ibexbikes website as I fumble around with the keypad excitedly. ;)

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
Jake Pay said:

Sux about the FSS but if testing sux then better to bail then dig a deep hole. I have a sweet spot for the SP it just does soooo well at everything it's hard to put it away. Guess I am both happy yet sad, something new & awesome would be killa but the Atlas SP was just so good the way it was. It's nice to know you can grab your bike to ride with the bros instead of sitting home with the DVD. :D:D:rockon:

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
big_mountain_biker said:
That Pro build looks amazing, almost exactly the bike I would build if doing it myself.

If the build isn't completely settled just yet, a Rock Shox Vivid 5.1 and Saint two ring crankset would make it even more difficult to enter my credit card number into the Ibexbikes website as I fumble around with the keypad excitedly. ;)
Oops, I put in the rear shock from the Atlas planning... the Zone shock is going to be Vivid (I'll go back and edit the post), though it may be the 4.1 version (something to do with custom valving or such causing big minimum quantities to get the 5.1 from SRAM).

The Saint crank is another story, though. It would add $100 to $150 to the selling price and I just don't see value in that for OE. My initial reaction to the Gravity Light (by FSA) is very favorable. It may not have quite the bling-factor of the Saint, but performance-wise I think it's going to be very close.

JA

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
dogonfr said:
Thats exactly what I said when I saw that. :band:

Sux about the FSS but if testing sux then better to bail then dig a deep hole. I have a sweet spot for the SP it just does soooo well at everything it's hard to put it away. Guess I am both happy yet sad, something new & awesome would be killa but the Atlas SP was just so good the way it was. It's nice to know you can grab your bike to ride with the bros instead of sitting home with the DVD. :D:D:rockon:
I don't know what direction we're going to go. I've talked to several suspension gurus that also still swear by SP... so ya' never know. I've been in touch with Brake Therapy about the possibility of redoing the SP with a floating rear brake (and probably a little more travel). That would solve the SP's single biggest drawback, brake-jack. I'm also planning to sit down with a well known frame designer regarding other ideas as well (sorry, gotta keep the name on the QT right now).

JA

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
ibexbikes said:
Oops, I put in the rear shock from the Atlas planning... the Zone will be Vivid I'll edit the post), though it may be the 4.1 version (something to do with custom valving or such causing big minimum quantities to get the 5.1 from SRAM).

The Saint crank is another story, though. It would add $100 to $150 to the selling price and I just don't see value in that for OE. My initial reaction to the Gravity Light (by FSA) is very favorable. It may not have quite the bling-factor of the Saint, but performance-wise I think it's going to be very close.

JA
Good to hear that it will most likely be running the Vivid 4.1, I didn't expect to see Saint on a economically minded bike and I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to pay the premium for Saint. I have the regular FSA Gravity cranks on my DJ bike and they have been great. One of the best parts about buying an Ibex complete bike though is that I can swap components to my liking and still be way ahead of the competition pricewise.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
ibexbikes said:
I don't know what direction we're going to go. I've talked to several suspension gurus that also still swear by SP... so ya' never know. I've been in touch with Brake Tharapy about the possibility of redoing the SP with a floating rear brake (and probably a little more travel). That would solve the SP's single biggest drawback, brake-jack. I'm also planning to sit down with a well known frame designer regarding other ideas as well (sorry, gotta keep the name on the QT right now).

JA
6.75 SP, low pivot, coil shock, floating brake. :idea: Sounds mighty tasty to me. :cornut:

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,796 Posts
sux that the FSS design is going downhill... but like Jake said earlier, better to cal it quits now then when you're already deeper into it...

Now whats this about news of an 09 Zone?!?!?! XD The specs look awesome. Vivid and Totem... hohoho... As for cranks, why not go XT? XD

I remember a lot of guys here asking for Ibex to bring back a big bike... looks like a very big bike is on the way... Cant wait to see it... Hehehehehehe

·
Company CSR
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mrpercussive said:
can i buy an 09 Zone in white? XD
That is my intention. The test bike is being painted in Sand White with a multi-layered clearcoat... that's 2 coats of white mixed with sand clearcoat > decals > 1 coat sand clear > 1 coat pearl. I think this will give it a real nice texture without being too flat looking. The pearl topcoat should give it just a little sheen and iridescence. Assuming it comes out as nice as it appears in my imagination, we'll go to production with it (at least for one model). Also, as noted in the specs list, we're testing two different wheelsets. The Sun MRX rims for the in-house built set are available in white. I can't say for sure about 2009 fork colors, but the sample will have a silver galvanized finish. I'm thinking this is going to look preeeeeeetty sharp!

JA

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.