Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any running their new Scouts this way, or given it a try? i've demo'd a couple bikes with 2.8's and very curious how this would fit and go on my fav bikes from Transition.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
any running their new Scouts this way, or given it a try? i've demo'd a couple bikes with 2.8's and very curious how this would fit and go on my fav bikes from Transition.
In the fall I may try 2.8's if I can find one that is studded. The trail near my house gets groomed for fat bikes in the winter so I was thinking that the 2.8's may have enough float for winter riding.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,728 Posts
In the fall I may try 2.8's if I can find one that is studded. The trail near my house gets groomed for fat bikes in the winter so I was thinking that the 2.8's may have enough float for winter riding.
FYI, usually, trails that get groomed require a minumum tire width of 3.8. Narrower tires will still rut up freshly groomed trails. You would be better off seeking ungroomed trails after others have packed them in.

Of course, depending on where you live and the kind of snowpack you're dealing with, that simply may not work.

IME, after a few years of riding fat, it seems like 4 inch tires are good for groomers and snow accumulations less than a foot (ungroomed). If you get more, and conditions are more rugged (lots of breaking fresh tracks) you need bigger tires.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
FYI, usually, trails that get groomed require a minumum tire width of 3.8. Narrower tires will still rut up freshly groomed trails. You would be better off seeking ungroomed trails after others have packed them in.

Of course, depending on where you live and the kind of snowpack you're dealing with, that simply may not work.

IME, after a few years of riding fat, it seems like 4 inch tires are good for groomers and snow accumulations less than a foot (ungroomed). If you get more, and conditions are more rugged (lots of breaking fresh tracks) you need bigger tires.

Thanks for the info. The trail gets groomed by a groomer that is made from a cooler and and old kids sled.....it’s not really a dedicated fat bike trail. There are more people that use it to walk their dogs than fat bikes. It’s a multi use trail system. Just hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in when the snow comes down and the ground is frozen.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,728 Posts
Thanks for the info. The trail gets groomed by a groomer that is made from a cooler and and old kids sled.....it’s not really a dedicated fat bike trail. There are more people that use it to walk their dogs than fat bikes. It’s a multi use trail system. Just hoping to get a few more weeks of riding in when the snow comes down and the ground is frozen.
Not really sure if that is the case that a plus tire is going to do much more for you than a regular tire with deep, open knobs and possibly even studs. You would need trtead like that on pretty much any tire, and not too many plus tires like that on the market. Even the knobbier ones are still fairly closely spaced. Such a tire would be quite draggy on dry trails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts