Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a number of us did our once-every-few-weeks Sunrise night ride last night, as we've been doing since that trail was cut in 2004...beautiful night, not too chilly, almost a full moon...great night to be out.

Coming down to the west, a couple riders even went sans lights, taking advantage of the bright moonlight. One of the group had a flat just before getting down to the "false summit," so we stopped to chat and wait for the fix.

As we talked and hung out, we could hear a faint, metallic voice in the distance. It sounded like the announcing of a football or soccer game carrying through the air from a field a mile away. Then we noticed some bright lights that are not usually there. Again, this is waaaaaaay down below us, and probably ~2 miles away. After a few more minutes, the voice seemed to get a bit louder, and we realized it was directed at US. We could barely pick out, "Turn your lights on and off..." or something like that. So we did.

At this point, we realized it was the police, and they were interested in US. So I headed down the trail to go explain, as the flat repair was completed. As I got toward the bottom, I saw that the flashing lights were at the 124th St. TH, so I headed that way. The rest of the group headed down Ringtail to 128th St., where we had entered.

To make a long story short, someone had called about our lights, and the Scottsdale PD spun up. There were three cars, with two officers each, at 124th St (with one of them driven up the trail a ways), and two cars, also with two officers each, at 128th St. As they observed the lights, they saw us stop for a while, and they didn't know if there was an injury, or what. I explained that it was a flat, and that I've been night riding back in there since 2002, and we've been doing Sunrise night rides since 2004, with not one issue. Doesn't matter, they said, as the MSP (McDowell Sonoran Preserve) is "closed" sunset to sunrise. Can't night ride.

The officers were pretty cool about it, and said they don't make the rules, just enforce them. They had been in contact with the Parks people, who wanted us cited, but the officers and supervisor on-site decided to just take names and issue warnings, with no citations. Meaning our names are in the system, so if we get caught back there again, we'll get cited.

So, moral of the story, no HID's up Sunrise at night...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
wow that stinks!
I know it's the rules of the park, but it always takes a busybody with nothing better to do to ruin a good time. I'm sure someone else will insert some "typical Snottsdale" comment here so I won't ;)
 

·
sprocket
Joined
·
3,184 Posts
waltaz said:
So a number of us did our once-every-few-weeks Sunrise night ride last night, as we've been doing since that trail was cut in 2004...beautiful night, not too chilly, almost a full moon...great night to be out.

Coming down to the west, a couple riders even went sans lights, taking advantage of the bright moonlight. One of the group had a flat just before getting down to the "false summit," so we stopped to chat and wait for the fix.

As we talked and hung out, we could hear a faint, metallic voice in the distance. It sounded like the announcing of a football or soccer game carrying through the air from a field a mile away. Then we noticed some bright lights that are not usually there. Again, this is waaaaaaay down below us, and probably ~2 miles away. After a few more minutes, the voice seemed to get a bit louder, and we realized it was directed at US. We could barely pick out, "Turn your lights on and off..." or something like that. So we did.

At this point, we realized it was the police, and they were interested in US. So I headed down the trail to go explain, as the flat repair was completed. As I got toward the bottom, I saw that the flashing lights were at the 124th St. TH, so I headed that way. The rest of the group headed down Ringtail to 128th St., where we had entered.

To make a long story short, someone had called about our lights, and the Scottsdale PD spun up. There were three cars, with two officers each, at 124th St (with one of them driven up the trail a ways), and two cars, also with two officers each, at 128th St. As they observed the lights, they saw us stop for a while, and they didn't know if there was an injury, or what. I explained that it was a flat, and that I've been night riding back in there since 2002, and we've been doing Sunrise night rides since 2004, with not one issue. Doesn't matter, they said, as the MSP (McDowell Sonoran Preserve) is "closed" sunset to sunrise. Can't night ride.

The officers were pretty cool about it, and said they don't make the rules, just enforce them. They had been in contact with the Parks people, who wanted us cited, but the officers and supervisor on-site decided to just take names and issue warnings, with no citations. Meaning our names are in the system, so if we get caught back there again, we'll get cited.

So, moral of the story, no HID's up Sunrise at night...
I do not see what the problem is. The park has always been "closed" after sunset to sunrise.
 

·
I am Walt
Joined
·
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yetisurly said:
I do not see what the problem is. The park has always been "closed" after sunset to sunrise.
True...but aren't the Phoenix Mountain Preserve (T100 area) and South Mountain Park (SoMo) technically "closed" from sunset to sunrise also?
 
G

·
RidingRiot said:
what a waste of there time! in the mean time some place was getting robbed, and drunk drivers were getting away!
It's Snobsdale and they're trying to protect their little island of perfectness in a sea of evil, not to mention the "Dirty" isn't rolling till the weekend, so they have to find something to do to pass their time until they set up their DUI checkpoints on every block. I mean lights on a mountain, it could be aliens! (Not the kind from outer space):rolleyes:
 
G

·
waltaz said:
True...but aren't the Phoenix Mountain Preserve (T100 area) and South Mountain Park (SoMo) technically "closed" from sunset to sunrise also?
Yes they are, but they have Ranger's to handle that and don't rely on the police. And the Ranger's for the most part don't care if you ride at night as long as they don't need to come rescue you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Realizing that night rides like this aren't that big of a deal, here's another view on folks calling in stuff to the cops... I live near one of the Phoenix Preserves and I've seen some pretty b.s. stuff going on up in the preserve at night. Motorcycles, fireworks, city contracted tow service going in to tow a-hole cars out of washes, and even one guy in a Toyota 4x4 who was doing a 435-point turn around (and all kinds of trail damage) when he got to a wash he couldn't get through. So if someone calls the police to go check out lights in the preserve, bear in mind that they might just be stopping some group of kids from causing major damage to the place. Heck, I've called the cops a few times (daylight hours) to report someone damaging parks or preserve and I've run a number of jackasses out of the preserves that were riding motorcycles over the years. The public is really our friend if we want to prevent this sort of damage. IT's sort of sad that our parks and preserves have become more of a hang for some of the detritus of society rather than nice places for folks to hang out.

Maybe there's some way to organize night rides as someone suggested.
 

·
Fly High!
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
sixsixtysix said:
I mean lights on a mountain, it could be aliens! (Not the kind from outer space):rolleyes:
lmao ya or it could be a cayote and not the kind that gets ran over on the road. I would have said sorry we got lost good thing you guys are out here to give us directions and make sure we are SAFE getting off the mountain! but 3 cars with 2 guys each .......they should have just called the bird in!
 
G

·
RidingRiot said:
lmao ya or it could be a cayote and not the kind that gets ran over on the road. I would have said sorry we got lost good thing you guys are out here to give us directions and make sure we are SAFE getting off the mountain! but 3 cars with 2 guys each .......they should have just called the bird in!
Yeah, they have been doing sweeps over SoMo at night with the Ghetto Bird looking for people out there close to dark.
 

·
Fly High!
Joined
·
1,104 Posts
waltaz said:
True...but aren't the Phoenix Mountain Preserve (T100 area) and South Mountain Park (SoMo) technically "closed" from sunset to sunrise also?
ya but sometimes I get lost or have a mechanical that leaves me out there in the dark and I just so happen to have a light with me :D
 

·
Don't believe the Hype...
Joined
·
830 Posts
Just turn off you lights and ride the other way next time. The cops don't really care about night riding. They got called, so they had to do their job. If they said it was "ok" then someone gets hurt, they could be held liable. Or at least be a big pain in their ass because they told you it's ok. The only reason there was 3 was because they were bored. I know a cop who works in Surprise and he's bored out of his mind 99% of the time. So N. Scottsdale has to be even worse...

BTW - I would have went and talked to them to, not reading this.
 
1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top