Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Hope this is not against forum policy - but this is the only active kids biking forum that I am a part of that routinely contributes advice for parents and I just wanted to pass along this savings information for any people interested.

I have a used Trek MT240 with a new Spinner Air Fork installed waiting for my kid to grow into. However, I just got into road biking and thought it would be a blast to encourage my 7 year old son to join me too - so the craigslist hunt started for a 24 road bike. Ridiculous what people are asking for used road bikes with how they "hold their value"
and all - typically $400-$500 used.

Well FYI do a google search for a 2014 Scott Speedster 24 - should return with a hit to a small but reputable mom and pop sport stores in New Jersey "D and Q" selling new old stock for 1/2 off retail $800 at = $399 no tax (for most) and free ship.

I bought yesterday after watching their stock drop from 39 avail to 35 avail after the holidays and making a phone call to the B&M and a confirming yelp reviews of the store front prior to purchasing online. Just got my UPS shipping notification today to California.

So if you're in the hunt for a quality 24" road bike - this may be the ticket for you. LOL I never got around to giving my kid a birthday party for the last six months so finally at age 7.5 yrs I told him look - how about a new race bike instead and he agreed - win win.

·
Registered
42 Posts
2014 Scott Speedster 24 - should return with a hit to a small but reputable mom and pop sport stores in New Jersey "D and Q" selling new old stock for 1/2 off retail $800 at = $399 no tax (for most) and free ship.
Hum... they must have responded to selling some -- they've raised the price to $799.95.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hum... they must have responded to selling some -- they've raised the price to $799.95.
I saw that - watching price for my credit card price match protection for next 2 months. I'm surprised bc it's still a 2014 bike.

If you watch the homepage promo circle between the ads - the bike sale advertisement still appears at $399, so perhaps it's an website designer glitch and a phone call to the store will still net you the discount?

I received my box (manufactures direct labeled box) quickly but have not yet assembled. Reminds me need to open it up bc UPS left it at my door standing up tall instead of horizontal, but I don't anticipate problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm surprised bc it's still a 2014 bike.
24" wheeled road bikes don't change fast. The technology is very much trickle down at the bottom end of things. Until Shimano comes out with a new groupo (as they did with the Claris used here) or brake technology (as Redline did to move from cantilevers to V-brake); the only thing that changes year-to-year is the paint scheme. If that! Notice all the 24" offerings from Scott, Felt, Redline, etc.. are still 8-speed.

Thus a 3-4 NOS bike is still worth almost MSRP.

The used market for these bikes over the past 3 years have been pretty steady irregardless of model year.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I just wrote the shop, and this is what they had to say:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! The Scott Speedster 24 is definitely $399.95. The sale price is now reflected on our website.

The Speedster is a great road bike for kids. We've had a lot of interest from people introducing their children to cycling in general up to participating in triathlons!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts