Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I did a search (both here and elsewhere), but haven't found anything from anyone with solid riding experience based on my question.

I have a 2010 Spark 35, with the 120mm Reba SL. I want to make the bike a little more trail'ish (as I have a big park bike already), and in that, I mean slacken the head angle a little bit, and add some travel.

I was wondering if anyone has any solid riding experience on a Spark with a 130mm or 140mm fork?

How do the angles feel?

Anyone had any failures on the carbon frame with a 140mm fork?

The axle to crown is only 15mm taller, so a minute amount, but it will slacken the angle to about 68 (from 69.5).

Thanks. I know some of you will have "opinions" about it, but I am more interested in actual riding experience...

Thanks guys!

-Mike

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I bought my Spark RC slightly used and the guy had the wrong fork on the bike - talas 150mm. I replaced it with a DT XRC 100 Race, but while I waited for this fork to arrive I did several xc rides trying 150,130,110 travel settings.I think 130mm travel is to much for this bike, however one option I almost went with was the 2011 Sid world cup carbon in 120mm.This fork only comes in a tapered steer tube so it doesn't fit the Spark, however you can run Cane Creeks new lower xx44 head tube converter to run a tapered steer tube.This mod gives you an extra 12mm stack height under the head tube ( increases axle to crown). This also gives you a super light weight 120mm fork, I think with 9QR its 1395 grams. 15mmTA is 1450 grams.I don't think there is any other fork even close to this weight in 120mm travel.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Seems a little to raked out for some climbs, but alot of it was it took away from the light race bike it is. That Fox fork was porky @ 1800 grams. The XRC race I replaced it with is 1130 grams with 195mm steer tube and the crown race installed.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's my one fear, is taking away some of the race geometry. I am considering a u-turn or dual-position. The trails around here routinely demand more travel (interior British Columbia), but also have some really steep and technical climbs, so I am trying to find the best of both worlds.

And, that headset you mentioned, it takes a 1.5 lower cup fitted into the Zerostrack IS headtube (that the Spark has)?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Yes, its called XX44. You probably won't find any dealers that know anything about it, as the distributors don;t even have it yet. You can buy it direct from Cane Creek.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts