Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lovely ride you have there speedworkaddict.

If it was my rig i'd do the following:

> R1s and Durin SL as you suggested.
> Sram X.0 shifting and rear derailleur
> An Experimental Prototype duo ring combo from Mattias Hellore on the WW forum, maybe 27/42
> Then I'd look at swapping out the seatpost clamp and seatpost for some lighter units. Tune do some awesome seatposts as well as superlight weight carbon clamps in the correct Scott diametres, so no need for shims.

Other than that I'd pretty much leave it hey. You can all out on super light chains and cassettes bit they'd cost you the earth.. If you want a clean look then possibly a new KCNC bar/ stem combo??? Save a few grams a would look awesome to boot.

Lastly i would add some pedals, might help your average speed;)

All in all a beatifull bike.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks Sam. You know, a new derailleur has moved its way up my priority list lately and it's funny that you say XO. I haven't read overwhelmingly good reviews about the XTR Shadow and was figuring a switch to SRAM would be best. The triggers and derailleur has to be installed at the same time though correct?

1:1 cable pull ratio, blah, blah, blah

Plus I see tons of people on SRAM lately. I guess I just hadn't been paying attention.
XO is lighter? More durable? Crisper shifting?

·
Registered
169 Posts
speedworkaddict said:
Thanks Sam. You know, a new derailleur has moved its way up my priority list lately and it's funny that you say XO. I haven't read overwhelmingly good reviews about the XTR Shadow and was figuring a switch to SRAM would be best. The triggers and derailleur has to be installed at the same time though correct?

1:1 cable pull ratio, blah, blah, blah

Plus I see tons of people on SRAM lately. I guess I just hadn't been paying attention.
XO is lighter? More durable? Crisper shifting?
In the end I reckon its purley a personal choice RE XTR/ X.0. Basically both items are sound products. I am a Sram man. X.0 RD and Gripshifters for me. About the lighest mtb specifc shifting combonation available, unless you have the funds for X.X. I also like the way Gripshift works, feels more natural to me..

I see you have an LX on your bike at the moment, so yah, if your keen on Sram you'll have to change the derailleur and shifters a the same time, the different pull ratios really suck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Although I have SRAM on both my bikes (Scale and Genius) and like it very much, I personally find the XTR a little smoother and lighter to shift.

But this is a picture topic, so here is my Scale. A few years old, but still love to drive it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Snappye said:
eiri, what crankset/chainring is that in the top photo? Great bike, btw.
Thnx, That's a FSA K-Force Light carbon crankset with ceramic bb (previous model, 2008)

The new FSA model has another look.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Just got my son's Christmas present in, thanks Santa! It's a nice bike, not super light, but everything works just like on a full size bike. Brakes are strong and sized for little hands, suspension fork actually works and the drivetrain is typical Shimano smooth. I might have to flip the stem to bring it closer. Also I'm inventorying what I've got to lighten it up. I've got a spare XT rear mech that might save 100g. I think the bar is steel so I'll cut down an aluminum flat bar I've got and put that on there. I'm also thinking of throwing on a set of BMX racing tires to shed some weight and lower resistance. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kris said:
JuAlso I'm inventorying what I've got to lighten it up. I've got a spare XT rear mech that might save 100g. I think the bar is steel so I'll cut down an aluminum flat bar I've got and put that on there. I'm also thinking of throwing on a set of BMX racing tires to shed some weight and lower resistance. :)
if you want it to seem a lot easier for him, look into gearing. Little legs have a harder time moving a bike compared to full sized adults - example, we can easily spin out a 32 tooth on pavement, most kids will have a pretty hard time doing that

Just dont know what there is out there to accomodate him with smaller rings in teh middle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks opienor:D

It's a nice little aluminium hardtail. I changed a few components but it is still about 500g heavier than a totally standard 2010 carbon Scale 30.

21 - 40 of 253 Posts