Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have a 2013 Spark 920. It's full suspension, but has the twin-lock system which will pretty much completely lock out your shocks, which is awesome for climbing, if you remember to unlock them before the downhill, not that I do this every single time I ride or anything... The Scale is of course a hard tail, which will be lighter (and I think it's cheaper, right?). So basically do you want a lighter, slightly faster hard tail, or a squishy slightly funner full suspension?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2013 Spark 920. It's full suspension, but has the twin-lock system which will pretty much completely lock out your shocks, which is awesome for climbing, if you remember to unlock them before the downhill, not that I do this every single time I ride or anything... The Scale is of course a hard tail, which will be lighter (and I think it's cheaper, right?). So basically do you want a lighter, slightly faster hard tail, or a squishy slightly funner full suspension?
That's what I've been asking myself for the past month. Thanks for the input. And yes, scale = cheaper and lighter, which would be ideal for xc races that I'm starting to take more seriously. Have you had any mech. issues with the twin loc or forks/shock in general? And have you weighed your bike w/ pedals? According to scotts site, scale 910 is ~21 lbs and spark is ~24 lbs. 24 lbs for a FS is incredible in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That's what I've been asking myself for the past month. Thanks for the input. And yes, scale = cheaper and lighter, which would be ideal for xc races that I'm starting to take more seriously. Have you had any mech. issues with the twin loc or forks/shock in general? And have you weighed your bike w/ pedals? According to scotts site, scale 910 is ~21 lbs and spark is ~24 lbs. 24 lbs for a FS is incredible in my opinion.
The weights are not that incredible, when I built my Chinese carbon 29er hard tail, it weighed 19.5 lbs, the frame is similar to a Scott Scale, then when I built my Chinese Carbon 29er Full Suspension bike last month, it came in at 24 lbs and that's with heavy puncture resistant tires, I could drop the weight to 23 lbs just by changing tires. The FS is like the Scott Spark, I liked the twin-lock setup the Spark so I built mine with a twin lockout for both the Fox CTD fork and CTD shock. Overall I got two bikes for the price of one. They may not be exactly the same as a Scale to Spark but they are great bikes and a blast to ride.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have the 920 which will be a little more than the 910, according to the website mine is supposed to be 26lbs. I have a not-light seat, full Ergon grips, pretty heavy pedals, and a multitool in the under seat bag. I did the whole stand on the scale with the bike, then stand without and subtract. It is about 28lbs the way I have it. But I could stand to lose 10lbs so I'm not going to spend a bunch of money to shave 2lbs off my bike.

So far no problems with the twin locs or shocks, or anything really. I got it in September and have put about 230 miles on it since (according to Strava). It was a demo, so I don't really know how many miles it had on before me (shop guy told me about 4 rides but I'm sure they always say that when trying to sell their demos).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love Spark 910..https://*****************.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/11/17/buy.gif. Based on how this went, I might suggest that the Scott's seem to size a bit small as even the XL with a flipped to negative, 100mm, 10° stem I was not too far out there. Now that we had that figured out, we could move on.
And how tall are yo/inseam? I'm 6'1" and the L seemed like the right fit. Everyone I've gotten input from has said the Spark, so I might just have to do it. At this point it's either $2050 for Scale 910 or $2500 for Spark 910, both 2014.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.