Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After tons of searching and research, I can order either of these two 24in bikes.

Marin Rift Zone JR

Or Scott Ransom 400

It will be for my 7yo son, 4'3", who is currently on a 24in hard tail. The current bike has a reach of around 330mm (if I measured it correctly, nothing published online) and he rides it very well.

Spec wise, they are very similar but the Scott gets a dropper post (unknown if it's any good) and a better Xfusion fork (slant vs velvet), but is $100 more expensive.

The main issue I can't decide on is the sizing and reach of the two bikes. The Scott is much shorter with a 366mm reach vs 380mm on the Marin.

Is it worth getting the larger bike, or would the Scott be plenty big and a better transition from the hard tail he is on now?

Also if anyone has owned either bike Id love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I understand the reservation regarding the reach, but I think the Scott is a reasonable length for a 24" (even 26") bike. With the Scott's taller stack, it actually has a longer RAD than the Marin. (If you take that into consideration.) Other than reach, the Scott also looks like the more modern/capable of the two bikes. And if you plan to keep the 24" hardtail for tamer rides, the Scott would be the better N+1 choice.

The other bonuses I see are the dropper (which you listed), more modern standards (tapered head tube, 15x110 & 12x148 hubs), better brakes, drivetrain, wheels and suspension. (Even if some of those are marginal differences.) All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra $100 on the Scott.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.