Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Ive been digging around for a pdf on this forum and the net on how to service the DT Swiss / Scott Nude shock that comes standard on the Spark without any luck.

Does anyone have it they could post or PM to me? If not, is it relatively straight forward?

Also, is there a replacement o-ring/rubber seal and oil kit which can be bought seperately?

Cheers
Tate.

·
slap-tanker
96 Posts
tate6969 said:
Hello,

Ive been digging around for a pdf on this forum and the net on how to service the DT Swiss / Scott Nude shock that comes standard on the Spark without any luck.

Does anyone have it they could post or PM to me? If not, is it relatively straight forward?

Also, is there a replacement o-ring/rubber seal and oil kit which can be bought seperately?

Cheers
Tate.
You should have received a small leaflet with the bike explaining how to take the Nude apart and service it. It isn't that difficult, but there isn't much you can do apart from cleaning, inspecting the seals and regreasing. Clamp the shock lightly in a vice and unscrew the main body. It shouldn't be on very tight. I have never found anything on the web in spite of extensive searching.

Here in the UK, Pace is the official servicer. They won't even look at a Nude for less than 100 pounds. They also informed me that Nude parts are not available for sale. It all seems a bit monopolistic to me. If you find alternatives, let us know where from!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm about to buy a Spark 10. I'd be interested in some instructions myself and I'm not sure I'd want to open the thing up myself.
If I do open it up, i'll probably be able to get it back together is it's just oil and air. My Specialized Epic Brain is oil air and nitrogen (in the brain). I'm not going to touch that baby, which is partly why I want to get rid of the Brain. Well...... The Brain is kinda heavy too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
opened the main barrel up, and couldnt see much there was to service. no oil, just the air canister, and bottom-out protecting bushings.
couldnt get into the piggy back cartridge to replace the oil.
reoiled the seals on the main unit and thats about it.

would love to get in the piggy back and replace the oil.... any ideas on how, and what oil to replace it with?

·
Registered
99 Posts
tate6969 said:
opened the main barrel up, and couldnt see much there was to service. no oil, just the air canister, and bottom-out protecting bushings.
couldnt get into the piggy back cartridge to replace the oil.
reoiled the seals on the main unit and thats about it.

would love to get in the piggy back and replace the oil.... any ideas on how, and what oil to replace it with?
i dont belive the oil is in the piggy back, if you unscrew the rebound enougth the shox will come apart fireing across the kitchen with a trail of oil behind it quickly followed by a look that could kill from the other half:madman:

Im trying to find out what oil and how much is ment to be there?

·
Registered
520 Posts
The best way to service your Nude shock is to buy a Fox. The lack of providing service references for something that requires alot of regular or routine maintenance is a testiment to how greedy they are. The only way to fix that is go elsewhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as it turns out, my shock was leaking air so i was forced to either pay dt swiss to service it, or do it myself.
i unscrewed the piggy back, then the main body. I wiped down the piston seals and shaft, reoiled seals and o-rings at the threads and reassembled. i had no idea what i was doing, and it only took 15min, best of all it cost $0 and the shock now doesnt leak.

·
Registered
175 Posts
No, the Nude is a standard oil-damped shock. The piggyback is a secondary air chamber, opened-up/closed-off to the main air (can) chamber when operating the remote lever, to change travel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody knows the pressure in the negative chamber?. There is an cap in form of triangle, below there is a schrader valve for the negative pressure. This presurize the oil as in the SPV system.

No, the Nude is a standard oil-damped shock. The piggyback is a secondary air chamber, opened-up/closed-off to the main air (can) chamber when operating the remote lever, to change travel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I tried to buy a 2007 Spark10 on 3-27-2010. I got to his house and the guy refused to sell. I drove 2hrs with $3300 bux in my pocket, on my birthday. What an a$$. He raised his price to $3600 and he takes the seat,tires and bars. Eff that. I left.

Then in Jan 2012, I tried to buy another Spark (seatmast version). Yada-Yada, the guy wanted $4,000. It was worth $2,200 at the time. Forget it. I left.

Then a week ago I found a 2007 Spark 10 on Ebay for $1,450. Yada-Yada, the 2007 Scott Spark 10 arrives tomorrow. I'll clean-out the shock and put some fresh gear-oil that beyotch! Then rebuild all pivots. Then ride it. If that DT Nude shock it as heavy as they say, Hello RP23. If it's light enough, I'll keep it and make a Weight-Weenie special. 21lbs might be fairly possible. Sub-20lbs will too hard and weak. I'm 160lbs and ride modest trails.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I got the bike from Ebay from Illinois. Turns out it was a bike shop that knows little about packing a bike. Then FedEx scratched the left carbon seat-stay, amongst other places. Then they smashed the rear XO der. The Ebay seller wouldn't give a partial refund. Ebay said I have to send the bike back for a refund after 2 weeks. FedEx says the shipper is the only one that gets damage payments. WTF!!! I knew this would happen so I planned on being upset for a week. I'm over it now.

Anyway...... I took the main canister off and wiped things out. It was perfectly clean in there. There was also about 10ml of light oil in there. I put in some 75w gear oil and put it back together and it seems to work just as it did before I opened it. Nothing went wrong.

I was not able to get the piggy can off, however. I didn't want to put some Vice-Grips on there. I would have scratched the bujeeses out of it. I'll leave that alone. I do still plan to find a Fox RP23. Something with low and high speed compression damping would be nice.

The rebound damping on this DT Nude shock is very adjustable and works very well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.