Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the owner of bikes direct on RBR:

High-end frames today come mostly from Taiwan. Some nice carbon fiber frames are made in China and then shipped to Taiwan or Italy for finish out. I prefer for now to bring frames from Taiwan only.

Any Taiwan supplier that carries USA based product liability would be a good source. I do like the standard industry frame shops like:

Kinesis {Trek, Felt, Kona, Specialized, Motobecane, Bianchi, Scott, Fuji, etc}
A-Pro {Fuji, Haro, Specialized, Windsor, Jamis, Raleigh, etc}
Sunrise {Trek, Giant, Fuji, Motobecane, etc}
Maxway {if anyone wants steel – Bianchi, Mercier, Fuji, Specialized, etc}

On carbon fiber the experienced experts at Advanced, ADK, Martec, and Topkey seem like the safe picks for companies like us, Trek, Felt, Specialized, Fuji, Look, Scott, etc.

I thought they were made in Switzerland? I know the Speedster aluminum road bike like is from Taiwan.

Taiwan make excellent bikes from Alumnum and Carbon Fiber so I have no iisues with Asian frame. But I thought the CF SCOTT bikes were made in Europe.

I guess they do what a lot of the Italian companies do. The frame is built in Asia, then finished and painted in Italy. By the countries laws, it may bear a sticker saying "Made in Italy." :rolleyes: :skep: :madmax:

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. It's nice to know they are honest. Like I said, Taiwan makes a TON of bikes for every company out there. They are good at what they do espcially in CF.

I guess only the company is based there as well as the desginers and engineers.

If I am ging to pull the trigger on thier CF road frame, I want to be sure of where it's made if I can. I know many Bianchi and Colnago CF frames are now outsourced to Asia.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
you've been on this forum

forever and you just now realized that scott's were made in taiwan, heads up so
are specialized!

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
peabody said:
forever and you just now realized that scott's were made in taiwan, heads up so
are specialized!
Yah, I must have missed that! I know Specialized has been for what basically forever? Most of TREK, Jamis and all most every other American Company.
Hell, even some Cannondale CF frames come from Taiwan.

Yes, there are many Boutique guys in the US making great frames! Examples: Ventana, Turner, STRONG, Parlee, Calfee, Crumpton, Curtlo, I could go on forever.

I would love to get a Parlee, even a stock one. Maybe I need to remind my wife whose father always tells me to "buy American" so I can convince here it would be better :D.

Yes, in all this time here I thought the SCOTT high-end CF frames were built in somwhere Europe. All I can say is "DOPE!" Sorry!

I guess all the "Big Guys" are now getting everything from Taiwan.

Man, I misses this one :eek:.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
old news...

DIRT BOY said:
Yah, I must have missed that! I know Specialized has been for what basically forever? Most of TREK, Jamis and all most every other American Company.

Yes, in all this time here I thought the SCOTT high-end CF frames were built in somwhere Europe. All I can say is "DOPE!"
that's pretty old news Gio.

Scott has their own factory down there which produces the latest technology exclusive for their own bikes. they also do high-end frames with "last years techology" for other makes.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nino said:
Scott has their own factory down there which produces the latest technology exclusive for their own bikes. they also do high-end frames with "last years techology" for other makes.
There own factory? Hmm, I always heard that there were basically only 3 or 4 companies making CF frames for EVERYONE. I did not know thye own their own factory.

I thought LOOK was the only bike company to own thier on factories in Africa. I think TREK has thier own factory or they have somone ONLY making CF of thier brand from them only.

Again I missed this., whoops!

·
Registered
161 Posts
As far as I know, their carbon comes from Advanced. The high end alu comes from Hodaka.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
tosis said:
As far as I know, their carbon comes from Advanced. The high end alu comes from Hodaka.
Nope, Scott Carbon is done by Ten-Tech. They are based out of Taiwan but most manufacturing is done in China at their new plant.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

Yes, there are many Boutique guys in the US making great frames! Examples: Ventana, Turner, STRONG, Calfee, Crumpton, Curtlo, I could go on forever.

I would love to get a Calfee, even a stock one. Maybe I need to remind my wife whose father always tells me to "buy American" so I can convince here it would be better :D.

Yes, in all this time here I thought the SCOTT high-end CF frames were built in somwhere Europe. All I can say is "DOPE!" Sorry!

I guess all the "Big Guys" are now getting everything from Taiwan.

Man, I misses this one :eek:.
forget calfee, they're nice and all but... do a crumpton or parlee

sweetest frames out there, handmade in america. Oh and some of the lightest. Too bad they don't do mt bikes

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bhsavery said:
forget calfee, they're nice and all but... do a crumpton or parlee

sweetest frames out there, handmade in america. Oh and some of the lightest. Too bad they don't do mt bikes
Sorry, that's what I meant Parlee! That's close to my dream frame. I would like to go Italian, but I think they will be for my classic steel build coming this summer!

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So Nino is wrong on this one? I had a feeling they did not "won" thier own factory. Or at least making their own carbon as LOOK and TREK do as I am now told.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I've talked to bob parlee about making mt bike frames... he said they've though about it.

I'm sure if enough mtbr people emailed him they're do it ;)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
So Nino is wrong on this one? I had a feeling they did not "won" thier own factory. Or at least making their own carbon as LOOK and TREK do as I am now told.
not wrong...

Scott has their own factory because others didn't meet their standards. do be able to make more money they do also frames for other makes but use "older" technique, not the latest technology they use.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
nino said:
not wrong...

Scott has their own factory because others didn't meet their standards. do be able to make more money they do also frames for other makes but use "older" technique, not the latest technology they use.
Well then someone's wrong here.

We have yes they have their own factory, and No they're made by Ten-Tech.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
rensho said:

Here is some additional info.

From cyclingnews;

The very fist impression the Scale makes is in how light it is. Out of the box and built, pedals and all, the bike weighs a scant 21.6 pounds and feels like nothing to lift onto a roof rack. Most of this weight savings is in the frame (985 grams). Made from the process and material that Scott used to create what they call the world's lightest production road bike (the CR1, which refers to Scott's Carbon for Racing frame tubing and construction process using their proprietary Ten-Tech Composite), the frame is a thing of beauty.

From Bicycle retailer;

Southern China is home to two other major factories: Topkey, in Xiamen, and Ten Tech Composites, also in Dongguan, known for the Ransom mountain bike frame it makes for Scott.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,425 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
Also, some of the lower line stuff by Look and TREK are made in China....I think by Martec. Giant makes the new lower line Colnago stuff.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Then Nino is wrong then or they made a mistake.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
oh man...

rensho said:

what is so difficult to understand here?

Scott is running their own factory. may it called Ten-Tech or whatever. anyway - they built this up new for Scott and also produce frames for other makes. this plant also has to make money, right? they won't build a whole facility and do just a couple of Scott frames....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts