Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to buy a bike which has good pedaling capabilities and is also a capable descender. I will need to pedal up before I go down, but I will probably do some occasional DH in it too.

I have an option to buy either a new 2012 Scott Genius LT30 or a new 2011 Trek Remedy 8.

Scott Genius LT30:

BikePedia - 2012 Scott Genius LT 30 Complete Bicycle

What caught my attention is to be able to adjust geometry from the handlebars (180 to 140mm by switching a lever). I am not quite sure whether this bike will stand abuse though, and I am also worried on whether it will feel to heavy to pedal. Good components for the price (X9 and XT combo)

Trek Remedy 8:

BikePedia - 2011 Trek Remedy 8 Complete Bicycle

I really like the fox fork and shock, its proven technology. I know this is a good bike to pedal, but with 150mm of travel it might be a bit short. The components have some room for improvement too (XT and SLX combo)

Has anyone had any experience with either of these bikes? What can you say of their "all around" capabilities??

Any help on taking my decision is appreciated!

Antonio

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Why those two? Have you seen a mojo HD? Or knolly chitoclotin? The turner burner?

Just be a man and get a giant faith and peddal that biotch up hill

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a really good deal on these bikes. Finally I decided for the Genius LT30, from what I have read and heard the bike pedals really good and the 180mm should do a good job downhill too. The bike should arrive next week!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I rode the Genius and thought it may have been the worst frame for either type of riding I ever rode. Sorry, I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but in the 140 mode I didn't like the way it tracked, or climbed. It seemed loose and unpredictable on hard trail riding. In 180 it was just uncomfortable and felt borderline dangerous downhill. I don't know why it felt that way for me. Maybe I am used to DW links. Maybe poor fit, maybe the suspension was not tuned, although it was set for my weight level. I'm not sure making a trail CC into a AM/DH machine in one frame works. At least it didn't for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts