Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to upgrade to a full squish bike because I found out some bad things after an MRI on my back :madman:. I've narrowed it down to these two bikes. I currently ride a Scott Scale 900 and like it, I also have been demoing my LBS's Jet 9 RDO 5 star build which I love but religiously have been bottoming out the suspension and with my recently gained knowledge from the MRI I am looking for something a little more plush. So after searching far and wide these are my two choices. Does anyone have any opinions they would like to share?

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Well, I have some trail time on a RIP 9 air formed 4 Star XO1 and about the same time now on a 2014 Genius 910. The two bikes had a very different attitude on trail, although I cannot separate the component choices and how that changes things. With the Fox 34 Talas 140 fork, wide rims/2.3 tires, and wide 780mm bars, the RIP 9 was a trail monster. I absolutely loved every grinning moment on it when things were rough, fast and twisted. I rode the 18" size, but still had to use a bit of 'oomph' to get it to turn fast. It felt a bit long, but plush and super, super fun. It pedaled well, but set up the way it was, it kinda was a lazy climber. Not bad , just not zoomy. Some of that was the seat tube angle and where it put me behind the crank more than was optimal for seated climbing. Still I would have one set up with a 130mm fork and 1x11 in my quiver in a heartbeat.

The Genius 910 is quite different. It feels smaller (and has a shorter rear center) and a bit more nimble. It also has the Twin Loc which is very effective as long as you don't mind the lever flipping. I prefer the Genius as it feels more like a long legged XC bike to me yet still is very competent at speed on terrain that would overwhelm a typical shorter travel FS.

I preferred the Genius, but they are both good bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HSracer,

South east single track, rocks and roots, no real extended climbing or downhills, mostly steep and fast ups and downs with lots of flow stuff on the in between, Rock Gardens the occasional 3 foot drop and some tight twisty stuff. If my back wasn't dorked up, I would be flipping a coin between the Jet 9 RDO and the Scott Spark 910. I have ridden and love both of these bikes I just need something a bit more forgiving, at least thats what the three bulging disks in my back tell me. As far as demoing either of these bikes, I would have to travel a lot further than I am willing to get my hands on either of them. I am going off the assumption both bikes will be similar to there little brothers only with more squish.

What type of riding do you do?

Also, can you ride both?

·
Registered
844 Posts
When my girlfriends back was out (couple years), her having the RIP 9 was a good reason that she could keep riding pain free. The RIP 9 pedals really well in the open mode of the rear shock, not all bikes do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your thoughts mtroy. I did notice the Scott Spark seemed to be much better at turning the tight switch back than the Jet 9. The Jet 9 also does feel and look taller and longer than the Scott. I kind of thought they would have similar characteristics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts