Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a genius rc 10 frame.
Would it work well with my old rs sid fork. I believe the stock fork in the genius 10 is a fox, which is a bit longer (not sure). Would a sid make the angles too steep = poor handling? Experiences?

Sid should be perfect with a Scale, though?

·
Registered
779 Posts
being that the fox forks are a smidge longer than a comparable RS or manitou fork in the same category
..and the SID is slightly shorter and a whole lot flexier (i dont know how much you weigh) i would definately say that a big change, both in steering response and descending will be felt.
i would argue that a fork roughly 1/2" shorter from crown to axle could change the HT angle about .5degrees.
if the scott headtube is already at 71 (which i think is right) your going to be affecting an already steep geometry.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tried it once

I had a Sid fitted to my Genius for a few rides earlier this year. It didn't have the same precision as the fox (which was being serviced - you're not meant to ride them off road after all - j/k, merely a commentry on their seals). The Genius head angle is 70.2, and I actually quite liked the handling change, except for the Sid flex! Anyway, the Sid was fun and do-able, but the Fox suits the bike a lot better in my opinion. It's a stiff chassis so the Fox just suits it.

Smiker

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any problems with the Sid flexing too much so far. I have a fully and a ht with a sid, no problems for me. The geometry is the only thing that concerns me.
Is the reba wc longer than a sid?

·
Registered
139 Posts
As it's a 100mm travel version then I imagine yes it is longer than a SID. However if you really aren't bothered by the flexing of the SID I can't see why you'd get upset with a small geometry change like this! Personally I wouldn't ever use a SID on a FS, as the chassis of something like a Reba will work a lot better, but then it's a strange choice as there is no weight saving over the Fox - personally I'd choose to put either an R7 or an RC39 on a Genius (or just transfer over my current 03 Skareb Super).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good point!

chris m said:
Not directly relevant, but I see the standard fork in a Genius RC Limited is now a Reba WC rather than a Fox.
We don't get the RC Limited here in Australia, so I try not to tease myself by looking at the specs... but the Reba is another good choice for the RC - and I good choice in general from what I've heard.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Smiker said:
We don't get the RC Limited here in Australia, so I try not to tease myself by looking at the specs... but the Reba is another good choice for the RC - and I good choice in general from what I've heard.
Only really if you are limiting your choice of fork manufacturers to Fox and Rockshox. Fox has nothing lighter, the only Rockshox that is lighter is a SID, which doesn't really suit IMHO. However there are lighter choices from Manitou and Pace which I think would suit the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts