Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I have Scott Scale 960 29er 2013 Size L and fits nice. i'm 183 cm...Now have offer to buy Scott Spark 35 26er carbon for about 400 euro. The spark frame is also L but can't try it to know does it fit. The seller took some measurements and my dilemma is: The reach is the same for both bikes, and TTL too. On my 29er my saddle height is about 91-92cm. When the seller mach that height on the 26 the saddle looks to far ove the handlebar, about 7-9cmm. What is the catch? Here are some pictures:

links to the spec of bikes:
https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/4643
https://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/product/scott-scale-960-bike

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
first, keep in mind that these are different bikes, so trying to match exact measurements based on photos is fruitless. you're looking at dimensions based on the ground, not the BB. when you ride a bike, you stand on the pedals, not the ground. there's a good chance that the BB is higher on one of those bikes than the other. you also have to factor in the fact that one of those bikes has a static rear end and the other has rear suspension. when you sit on the FS bike, the saddle is going to drop quite a bit, making the handlebar/ saddle height difference a lot closer.

take those measurements from the BB.

center of BB to top of saddle. this measurement will be more or less constant for you because your adult legs stay the same length no matter what you do. factor in a slight difference if the two bikes have different crank arm lengths.

center of the BB to the midpoint between the handlebar grips. this, in my opinion, is the most important measurement. it does not change as the suspension moves on the fork or the frame. this is the position that determines how the bike will handle when you're not using the saddle at all- drops, hoisting the bike up ledges, barreling over rock gardens, jumping over stuff, etc. IMO, this should also remain constant for most bikes once you find a good measurement that works for you. This is how trials bikes are sized and this is how Sam Hill reportedly sets up his bike.

horizontal distance from the saddle to the midpoint between the grips. get this within a ballpark of what works for you because you can make subtle changes in saddle offset and stem length. I specify midpoint between the grips because a handlebar's backsweep angle and width take away from the bikes reach, and a wider or sweepier bar will have a more profound affect. Don't worry too much about the height difference because a) that can be changed with a taller stem or a riser bar, and b) that is a dynamic measurement that changes as the suspension moves. using a static measurement only tells you part of the story.

look up the geometry specs for those two specific bikes. pay attention to reach and stack. newer bikes tend to have more reach and stack, which is part of the reason why people are using shorter stems and flatter handlebars are becoming more popular. then see how the effective top tube and seat tube angles compare. if they are pretty close or the differences can be mitigated by small changes, you can make it work just fine.

·
Registered
12,654 Posts
Scale 960
Text Photograph White Colorfulness Line

Spark 35
Text Colorfulness White Line Font

unfortunately, some of the dimensions are in inches and others in millimeters, so you will need to do some quick conversions. you can plug in the numbers to bikegeo.net to get a better idea of how the geo really compares by sorting out the reach and stack (wheel sizes on this tool are also in mm, so that's 622 for the 29er and 559 for the 26er).

both of those bikes were designed with 90-110 mm stems in mind, I think, so the top tubes and reach measurements might be a bit short if you want to use a modern wide bar/ short stem setup.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fragile af

So guys, Scott Sparks are fragile bikes, beware.

Lets get a couple things out of the way....

1. I was first told i should be riding a large - my initial purchase was a Scott Spark RC 900 Pro in large
2. This frame was too small, I'm almost 6'2 - 198lbs
3. I brought it back to change for an XL frame, there were none left
4. I was told i would need to dish out an additional 2500 + tax to get an XL Spark SL
5. At this point, i had spent about $11,500CAD on the bike to get the size that fits me properly, This took 2 months to achieve. Eek.

Finally, my SL arrived, and it was beautiful, and damn fast!!!

I had a miniature crash. I didn't even hit the dirt, and held on to my bike. After which, i noticed what looked like a crack on my top tube. I don't recall it ever being impacted in the crash...

Earlier in the ride, i rode down a valley, with a G-OUT at the bottom, where i heard a slap sound. Figured my fork bottomed out, but it hadn't... This is relevant later in the story.

I emailed my bike shop, they thought the frame was cracked - ouch! I had taken this bike on its very first ride! We sent the images to Scott's warranty department, where they identified the damage as simply a surface scratch, which they see a lot of, when the frame comes in contact with the cleats on your biking shoes. "Go ahead and ride the bike, its safe 100%" So i did!

2nd ride in, and on the same g-out i heard the same "SLAP" sound. Again thought it was my fork, but nope, and not the shock. IT WAS THE FRAME CRACKING!

I sent the bike back to the shop and explained exactly what had happened. They fired the email and shots back to Scott and instantly Scott warranty flip flopped and said the frame is cracked due to impact and will not fulfil a warranty claim, instead i need purchase a replacement frame at a cost of $2000.

To be honest, i think these frames are flimsy, Ive been riding and racing for 20+ years, and have NEVER cracked a frame. For this frame to fail on me, after one ride is appalling. Im no Nino Schurter. I can't afford a new frame after every ride. Lightweight for your racers is fine, but build something durable for the everyday rider, who's not sponsored and can't afford to drop thousands after an afternoon ride.

Ive crashed other bikes, WAY HARDER, and ZERO damage. I have a HardTail Cannondale FS-I, weighs less than my spark, and i can ride that thing way harder. No damage, no issues.

Scott, first and last time i buy one of your bikes. My bike shop, however, has been amazing - even covering some costs. Kudos to them, bad form on Scott's customer service, and warranty department. They also keep deleting my posts, on Instagram - they take no responsibility.

Thoughts anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.