Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the usual predicament I would say, I have been riding for a while and am looking for a raceable hardtail under 2,000. My LBS has a Trek 8500 for 1,500, I could get the Scott 40 for about 1300 and I think the Stump is 1600. As I said, I will be mainly doing XC races and weight is the obvious issue. The only thing I like about the trek is the full XT components. I appreciate all your help, I just haven't ridden the Scott or the Stump so anything would be a huge huge help. Thanks again.

Dustin.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd say the 8500 is a real bargain for the price. I'd go with the 8500 if I were you...great components, great looks, the only question is the weight. However, it is Trek's high-end aluminum MTB ($2199.99 MSRP) vs. Scale 40's $1616.99....

·
Registered
104 Posts
D9HP said:
I am in the usual predicament I would say, I have been riding for a while and am looking for a raceable hardtail under 2,000. My LBS has a Trek 8500 for 1,500, I could get the Scott 40 for about 1300 and I think the Stump is 1600. As I said, I will be mainly doing XC races and weight is the obvious issue. The only thing I like about the trek is the full XT components. I appreciate all your help, I just haven't ridden the Scott or the Stump so anything would be a huge huge help. Thanks again.

Dustin.
If your ceiling is 2k, i would skip all three and get the Scott Scale 30 with the Carbon Fiber frame. I think i saw them on sale a few months back at a store in houston for around $1800. Then that way, you get a kick @ss frame. I think it comes with LX and a fox 80mm RLT.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
I was in the same boat as you a year ago. I road both the stumpy and the 8500. I settled on the 8500. The components were far better and the frame felt better. But I'd ride both and make up your own mind. The price for the 8500 is deffinately a steal!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.