Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase one, and have found one for $ 1350, 2011 model.

I've read everything great about the bikes, but are there any negatives?

Current owners, do you regret buying this bike?

I'm getting the XL frame. I'm 6'4" 250lbs.

Current owners, do you still like the bike?

Thanks again,!!

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
I ride a large one. I am 6 foot 250lbs. My only disappointment was the advertised weight and the real weight. But, I wasnt surprised by that. I guess i just had high hopes. Anyway, a pound or two on a bike doesnt make a whole lot off difference for somebody my weight. I didnt really like the aesthetics. The grips, wheels, saddle, and frame all have a cheesy green/white color scheme. But when i replaced the saddle, grips, and wheels, the frame looks great!!!

Now, more importantly, I have about 250-300 miles on the bike currently. I set the bike up 1x10 with chainguide and love the drivetrain. I have probably made only 2 or 3 adjustments to the rear der. and have had no major problems with it or the shifter. The geometry is great for me with a setback post and flat bar. The frame does ride a bit harsh but it is also stiff and efficient. This is hard to overcome on an aluminum ht frame. The brakes work surprisingly well to stop my big butt, and the fork IMO is the best fork for the money. I dont like the remote lockout because i never use it and it clutters up the bar, but i think most people would use it. The fork performs as well as the reba and its fox counterparts and with only a very small weight penalty. Cant really speak much for the wheelset as I only put about 15 miles on them the first day I had it. I replaced with flows/pro 2 and I know they were stiffer, but the stock wheelsets were by no means noodles.

All in all, this bike is hard to beat for the money. If you want a HT 29er for 1300 you wont find a better deal. FWIW I tested the stumpy, EMD, alma, and paragon. It came down to the alma, and the scale, and with nearly a grand price difference it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GregoryMB said:
That's a pretty good deal for a new one! Mine comes in this week, but after spending saddle time on 5 bikes, the scale was the runaway winner for me. The bike is new, I assume?

Guess I'm not a current owner, but will be soon.
Yes it's new, I just got an offer for the Rockhopper above.

Both good deals I believe.

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
bigmountainman said:
Would a 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Pro for $ 1200 be a better deal?

Leaning towards the Scott, but $ 1200 seems enticing.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Those bikes are so similar I wouldnt let the 150$ difference sway you either way. I would say the drive on the scott is where the difference in price is, but dont let that be the deciding factor. Ride em both and see which you like. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was going to go for the Pro until I got some saddle time on both. The difference in fit and feel was...astounding really. Maybe it's how I'm built but the Spec felt awkward in any size and the Scott felt nimble and perfectly fit.

Can you ride either before buying? Or at least throw a leg over? Fit is the most important factor.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Fantastic bike. However, my wife said no to the "yellowish" color and I had to settle for green.:thumbsup: I built them myself from scratch.

·
Registered
24 Posts
texasnavy05 said:
I ride a large one. I am 6 foot 250lbs. My only disappointment was the advertised weight and the real weight. But, I wasnt surprised by that. I guess i just had high hopes. Anyway, a pound or two on a bike doesnt make a whole lot off difference for somebody my weight. I didnt really like the aesthetics. The grips, wheels, saddle, and frame all have a cheesy green/white color scheme. But when i replaced the saddle, grips, and wheels, the frame looks great!!!

Now, more importantly, I have about 250-300 miles on the bike currently. I set the bike up 1x10 with chainguide and love the drivetrain. I have probably made only 2 or 3 adjustments to the rear der. and have had no major problems with it or the shifter. The geometry is great for me with a setback post and flat bar. The frame does ride a bit harsh but it is also stiff and efficient. This is hard to overcome on an aluminum ht frame. The brakes work surprisingly well to stop my big butt, and the fork IMO is the best fork for the money. I dont like the remote lockout because i never use it and it clutters up the bar, but i think most people would use it. The fork performs as well as the reba and its fox counterparts and with only a very small weight penalty. Cant really speak much for the wheelset as I only put about 15 miles on them the first day I had it. I replaced with flows/pro 2 and I know they were stiffer, but the stock wheelsets were by no means noodles.

All in all, this bike is hard to beat for the money. If you want a HT 29er for 1300 you wont find a better deal. FWIW I tested the stumpy, EMD, alma, and paragon. It came down to the alma, and the scale, and with nearly a grand price difference it was a no brainer.
What is the actual wieght of this bike and what size are you riding?

·
Big Boy
978 Posts
jerboy99 said:
What is the actual wieght of this bike and what size are you riding?
I ride a large frame. The day I picked it up it weighed 27# 6oz. That was with stock pedals and tubes and reflectors. With esi chunkies, ec70 wide flat bar, cb egg beaters, thomson post, wtb silverado saddle, e13 chainguide, no front der. or shifter, flow/hope pro wheelset tubeless it weighs 24# 4oz. Not really the same bike though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GregoryMB said:
That's a pretty good deal for a new one! Mine comes in this week, but after spending saddle time on 5 bikes, the scale was the runaway winner for me. The bike is new, I assume?

Guess I'm not a current owner, but will be soon.
What other bikes were you comparing it to? I went and rode one today and it did seem to climb better than anything else I have been on, but I just started trying out HT's, thought I was going to get a FS. The value of this bike may have changed my mind.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GregoryMB said:
Speaking of the Scott Scale Elite 29er...mine has arrived. It is aaaaawesome!
Have you had a chance to do some damage on it yet, would love to hear a report. I am also curious about the weight that yours came in at? I am still leaning heavily toward this bike, the only thing I was questionable on were the brakes, any input would help :thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
jerboy99 said:
Have you had a chance to do some damage on it yet, would love to hear a report. I am also curious about the weight that yours came in at? I am still leaning heavily toward this bike, the only thing I was questionable on were the brakes, any input would help :thumbsup:
I've got to do a bit of riding these past two days. Took it for a 5.5 mile climb up rocky/rutted/soggy fireroad, then connected to some nice techy singletrack descent.

Everything performed beyond my expectations, except for the tires. It was muddy and slick, and the rocket rons didn't give any bite, especially cornering. I've got a Kenda Nevegal 29 2x2 coming on monday that I'm going to throw up front, and hopefully that will help.

Maybe it's because I am still getting used to a 29er, but cornering at speed takes a bit of getting used to. I am sure that part of it is the tires, so I'll report back after I put the nevegal on.

It climbs like you wouldn't believe, I really haven't noticed a decrease in acceleration at all, and it is FAST. The momentum you hold...wow.

·
Registered
421 Posts
okay, this bike looks great, but in one of the pictures above has water bottle bosses on the seat tube, and the other does not. I want two mounts. I am thinking maybe smaller sizes don't get ST mounts due to post interference? I would take a medium frame i think.

·
Registered
24 Posts
GregoryMB said:
I've got to do a bit of riding these past two days. Took it for a 5.5 mile climb up rocky/rutted/soggy fireroad, then connected to some nice techy singletrack descent.

Everything performed beyond my expectations, except for the tires. It was muddy and slick, and the rocket rons didn't give any bite, especially cornering. I've got a Kenda Nevegal 29 2x2 coming on monday that I'm going to throw up front, and hopefully that will help.

Maybe it's because I am still getting used to a 29er, but cornering at speed takes a bit of getting used to. I am sure that part of it is the tires, so I'll report back after I put the nevegal on.

It climbs like you wouldn't believe, I really haven't noticed a decrease in acceleration at all, and it is FAST. The momentum you hold...wow.
Thanks for the input Greg, I hopped on a couple other bikes yesterday and they were not near as comfortable at the scott, going to try a couple more next week but for the price I don't think I am going to get a better deal. My originl budget was a little bit more than what this bike goes for so I figured I can afford a couple upgrades right away. Tubeless was definitely one of those, what do you think of the brakes? I rode my current bike on the same hill I test rode the scott and my brakes were even worse so it may just be how steep the hill is (slc, UT) we do have mountains here. I think I went up the hill twice as fast on the scott as I did on my current FS 26, I'm already hooked on the big wheel juice and I haven't bought a bike yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bringing this post up to the top for more input... I'm also looking to pick up the Scott Scale Elite in a small size. The LBS has to build it from the warehouse since they didn't have a small. The 'Large' looked very well spec'd out but it was a monster sitting next to me :)

Any more folks with actual weights?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.