Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adding this here since I put it the wrong forum yesterday...

I tried to upgrade my headset to a new Chris King Dropset 2. Long story short, theses do not fit Specialized frames. Basically, the upper bearing hast to extend above the upper lip of the frame in order for the Chris King Dropset 2 to work. It doesn't on a Specialized Stumpjumper and there is no way to make it work such as can be done with Cane Creek headsets.

Unfortunately I'd already installed the crown race on my brand spanking new Rockshox Pike Ultimate fork. So I had to remove it. I picked up a removal tool off Amazon. Since I can't pick up a tool without damaging something, I managed to over tighten the crown race removal tool I was using. This caused the the inner edges of the tool to score the tapered portion of the steerer tube.

The damage is noticeable and can be felt when touched. I can't really say how deep the scoring actually is.

Yes, I AM AN IDIOT.

Question, is this still safe to ride?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would say you are fine. The steerer tube is not a bearing surface, that's what the head set bearings are for. If anything, I would dress up the scratches with emery cloth so there's a smooth surface for the installation of the headset bearing inner race.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I would not spend any time worrying about that. Next time, use a screwdriver/punch to remove your crown race and forget the fancy tool. If you destroy the crown race you're out only a few bucks. As long as your steerer fits through the lower bearing okay, you will not notice the scratches in your steerer.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Wouldn't honestly worry about that, that part of the steerer is usually quite thick and those little dinks aren't going to do it anything.

You do realise that the slot in the photo is so you can slide a big, flat blade screw driver in there to remove the race, right? Used to be on every for, most times on both sides, but these days with split crown races, you hardly ever see them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't honestly worry about that, that part of the steerer is usually quite thick and those little dinks aren't going to do it anything.

You do realise that the slot in the photo is so you can slide a big, flat blade screw driver in there to remove the race, right? Used to be on every for, most times on both sides, but these days with split crown races, you hardly ever see them.

I figured that was what it was for. My prior headset experiences all involved the split crown race. Confession, I'm a tool junky and the "opportunity" to buy another tool to add to my workshop was too much to pass up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.