Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer traded in a titanium Kona Hei Hei circa 1998 (I think) with a gen 1 XTR kit and original Hugi wheels. I had to take it for myself. Right now I have it built up as a city bike but plan to put 700 c cyclocross wheels on it and see what type of frankenbike monster I can create.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Give us pics!

Curious - how are you going to run 700c wheels on a mtb frame? Is there a rear disc tab? If so - not a 98.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
top_ring said:
Give us pics!

Curious - how are you going to run 700c wheels on a mtb frame? Is there a rear disc tab? If so - not a 98.
I am going to run disc up front and have an adaptor machined to extend the rear V brake if possible if not I don't realy need a rear brake.
here are some pics they are not very clear but you can see the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
I am going to run disc up front and have an adaptor machined to extend the rear V brake if possible if not I don't realy need a rear brake.
here are some pics they are not very clear but you can see the bike.
You can run a 700c rear if you can find a pair of Avid Tri Align III's. Hard to find old stock. They are V-brakes with long arms that allows you to adjust the pads up higher to run road wheels on a mtb frame. You're also going to need a 135mm rear hub... most road wheel hubs are 130mm.

Looks like a fun project. Nice score.

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's a 95 bike - see catalogue pic attached.

Note the 'non-Kona' (high top tube) shape that they used for Hei Heis from 93/4 (not sure which) until 96. If anyone knows why they used that shape, it would be interesting to hear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Johnny Hair Boy said:
Did Kona actually make these bikes or did they have another company make them.
Sandvik Special Metals, Kennewick, Washington made the tubing and did the welding on Hei Hei's and King Kahuna's.

Kona never made their own frames in house. They designed them, then had others weld them. Most of their stuff went off shore and still does.

·
Registered
543 Posts
top_ring said:
Sandvik Special Metals, Kennewick, Washington made the tubing and did the welding on Hei Hei's and King Kahuna's.
Kona never made their own frames in house. They designed them, then had others weld them. Most of their stuff went off shore and still does.
Steve, to the best of my knowledge Sandvic is a huge conglomerate that has tube-milling among a very large array of business interests. I thought Ti Sports as they are now called was formerly called TST (Titanium Sports Tubing possibly?) and has never made tubes but was and still is a dealer in tubes, including but not exclusively Sandvic, arising originally from a business in building things from titanium tubing, including golf club shafts inter alia. They still make a mtb under their own brand called a G-Man which appears to be in generic ti, not Sandvic. They used to make ti frames for an impressive array of big-name brands, but I guess all of that business now goes to Russia or China. Nevertheless, I believe they have a very high reputation for their quality of workmanship, as I'm sure you can vouch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
anthonyinhove said:
Steve, to the best of my knowledge Sandvic is a huge conglomerate that has tube-milling among a very large array of business interests. I thought Ti Sports as they are now called was formerly called TST (Titanium Sports Tubing possibly?) and has never made tubes but was and still is a dealer in tubes, including but not exclusively Sandvic, arising originally from a business in building things from titanium tubing, including golf club shafts inter alia. They still make a mtb under their own brand called a G-Man which appears to be in generic ti, not Sandvic. They used to make ti frames for an impressive array of big-name brands, but I guess all of that business now goes to Russia or China. Nevertheless, I believe they have a very high reputation for their quality of workmanship, as I'm sure you can vouch.
Hey Ant... I am familiar with Ti Sports, and for some years of manufacture you may be correct. However my information comes right from the Kona catalog from the mid 90's. In some way, down the production line, perhaps we are both right.

Sandvik was a huge manufacturer of frames for many bike companies back in the 90's. Gary Fisher comes to mind. The "bullet" style dropout was a dead give-a-way that Sandvik was there.

That said... and you probably already know... Merlin made the first ti frame for Kona - The "Titanium" model back in 1990. It also sported the shorter seat post material like the 95 does.

·
Registered
538 Posts
There were a few Merlins decaled as Konas, I saw them in Canada way back when as TBG there was the distributor for Kona, Merlin, and Brodie. Sandvik Special metals made the official first Hei Heis and carried on building the Ti fames in Kennewick. Some time in the mid 90's the parent company lost interest in bikes and oddball Ti stuff so they spun the sporting goods division of Sandvik off and it became Ti Sports. Somehow even though they're different companies I think they share some resources.

http://www2.sandvik.com/sandvik/0140/Internet/se01974.nsf/

http://www.titaniumsports.com/profile.html

TST used to made mods to frames like adding a V-brake stop on the top tube for a minimal cost in time and cash. It doesn't mark up the frame or anything ugly. If you try to move cable stops though like going from down tube derailleur cables to top tube then there will be scars where they cut the old ones off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
top_ring said:
You can run a 700c rear if you can find a pair of Avid Tri Align III's. Hard to find old stock. They are V-brakes with long arms that allows you to adjust the pads up higher to run road wheels on a mtb frame. You're also going to need a 135mm rear hub... most road wheel hubs are 130mm.

Looks like a fun project. Nice score.

You could always just get a cyclocross rime built up with a disc hub......

·
Registered
538 Posts
These brakes would be the only choice, just be careful the pad carriers don't fully spin around the post.

Re that chat on the retro board. Some riders did find the 3.25 rear on the Hei Heis to be too soft when hammering. That's where the first 6-4 rear came in, it was impossible to tell apart by weight or appearance so they had a serial number that included 6-4 so you'd know if you had a regular Hei Hei on your hands or a Hei Hei King Kahuna. Sandvik hated the whole 6-4 thing and that's where the shaped tube King Kahuna sprang from. I had a 90's Hei Hei with the luxury package (Ti fork, stem, bars, post etc.) and it was somewhat unpredictable. You'd go off a little lip and it was like you were in a cartoon, you never really new which way you'd spring out Later I had a 98 version also but after years of alloy suspension bikes it just felt too soft to me. I kept stopping in the middle of rides to check if the wheels were done up or the seat binder was loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
top_ring said:
Give us pics!

He has a connection. ;)

Someone has a pair of Avid Tri Align v-brakes that were hiding deeeeeeeeeeep in a parts box. Don't know if they are the III (3), but they might be long enough. You, top_ring, might actually be very privy to these brakes. Any input? (this would be "the other complete set" I was looking for before)

Nice score, JHB. Totally not you and way the **** out in left field from what i'd ever imagine you throwing a leg over, but still a nice score. :p :) :thumbsup:

Geez man, it's a KONA!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :skep: :cool: :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Danke said:
These brakes would be the only choice, just be careful the pad carriers don't fully spin around the post.
These Marinovative cantis may indeed be your only choice because you probably don't have a cable guide for Vees on that frame... do you?

If you do or plan to have one welded on here's a pic of the Avids. They are the III's (3's), not the Tri Align II's (2's) that Andrew is referring to. And yes I have a pair of the (2's)... they are too short. The (3's) have longer arms to support a 700c wheel. They were made for that purpose... for 26 and 700c wheels. These would be a better choice IMHO then the decelerator cantis for stopping power.

Andrew - what in gawds name are you doing in a Kona forum???

Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not realy concerned about stopping power because I am going to run a disc up front. I do have a home made cable stop for V brakes on the bike now. I don't see this bike getting much if any dirt time but if I get it to work with cyclocross wheels then I might do a lap at a 24 hour race.

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finished the home made adaptors that will extend my V brakes pad reach enough to run the 700 c rims. They work well enough for a rear brake but have a little to much flex for the front so the plan is BB7 up front and franken brake in the rear. I am going to build the wheels up next week. The rear will be the Hugi hub that's on the bike now spoked up to an Alex rim and the front will be a generic disc hub on the same rim. I want to run a carbon rigid fork to finish the build hopefully by late next week I will have pictures of the finished beast.

·
Just let go. Let go!
21 Posts
Have early 90's hei hei. Was thinking build 69er. But guess what? Have my Tri align brakes in box.

Should I mount 29er or 69er?
:cool:

·
LBS Manager
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got my 700 c wheels built up today and mounted Kenda small block 8 700 by 35 cross tires on them. My home made pad extenders are working much better than expected I had to modify the noodle a little bit to avoid tire contact. I can't believe how dam heavy the BB7's are I will use one up front for now but as soon as I get a chance I will be mounting a nice light hydro up front. My carbon fork should be here tomorow and then I can ditch the Judy xc that is on there now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts