Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I found this beauty while helping a family friend's relative move. He said I could have it if I helped him move all his stuff into his new place as well (I think he saw me drooling). So here are the specs on it. Total price invested: $0 booya

Frame/Fork: Look/Peugot/Ritchey pro bike for someone named Mike Kloser (his name is on the stay in a facotry decal)

Wheelset: original ritchey wheelsmith rims on campy OR hubs

Seat: bright red look (best part of the whole bike)

Bars and stem: ritchey factory elite

Drivetrain: All Campy OR (including original Campy chain haha)

Pedals: awesome Look MTB pedals with tire tread riveted onto the bottom

Brakes: Campy OR cantilever brakes and Ritchey levers

Original Bottle Holders!

The only things that are not original on this bike (from what I can see) are: Scott Bar Ends(possibly) and the Tires (a beer to anyone who can tell me what the original tires were)

This is going to make an awesome restoration project for some vintage racing!!

Attachments

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK here are the wheels that came with...they have IRC mythos 2.1's on it right now which are far newer than the bike is... I would imagine that if someone out there can recognize the tread on the bottom of the pedals they can clue me into the model of the original tires.

Attachments

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
rollswithpogies said:
OK here are the wheels that came with...they have IRC mythos 2.1's on it right now which are far newer than the bike is... I would imagine that if someone out there can recognize the tread on the bottom of the pedals they can clue me into the model of the original tires.
Very nice to have the wheels!

I would imagine that if someone out there can recognize the tread

That person has a pocket protector made out of old tires! Way out of my league. Good luck with the bike. Be nice to see it after it is all done.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Might be Ritchey dropouts, but not actually a Ritchey frame.

Is there a serial number on the underside of the BB?

Very nice find though with the Campy and such. A Wheelsmith built wheelset is pretty sweet too. :thumbsup:

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been doing some research online and this has become quite the puzzle...this bike doesn't seem to exist.

But as far as I can see the frame does seem to be a Ritchey P-23 circa '89-'91. I attached a pic of a P-23 and if you look at the seatpost clamp and the "step" in the seat tube they are identical. If only I could find some reference to Look or Peugeot and how the Campy group came on this. BTW I'm having trouble identifying the exact campy year/group so I attached a pic of the cockpit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nice score :thumbsup: Sure looks like a repainted P-22 to me and serial number looks correct. :cool:

·
Scottish Bike Ninja
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK so the wonderful internet helped me solve a piece of the puzzle. This bike is a 1992 P22. Here's the reasoning. In 1991 Mike Kloser rode an Alpinestar for Team Look/Peugeot so that year is out. I found no records of what they rode after that but the tires that were used on this bike were not released to the public until 1993, according to the Ritchey compnent catalogs (implying the pros used them for the 1992 season). There were also some references on british forums to French Peugeot riders on 'disguised' Ritchey P22's in 1992. Gotta love the internet.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Drool! I like the oddball bikes like this. What a sweet find. :thumbsup:
It was common for teams to use other brand bikes and re-name them.
I agree with shedrat29.Leave it as it is. You may have a team bike in your hands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dont restore it mate.

Too nice to restore , it's obviously a great piece of our history. I still have my KHS Team I raced in 1990 (maybe 91) which is the exact same frame, it is all Logic tubing etc does look just like a P23, frame # 323, bless the days of flouro pink forks.Its still sitting up in the loft, you have got me inspired. Keep that cool Kloser bike as is , they obviosly all used the" Ritchey" frames for team bikes , but I suspect made in Japan, cheers Keith in New Zealand.

·
artistic...
7,636 Posts
take some measures: top tube, seat tube c-t, head tube.. those numbers at least can tell if it's an off the rack P ritchey or a custom for racing done by TR.
that's a cool bike. very cool bike.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
colker1 said:
take some measures: top tube, seat tube c-t, head tube.. those numbers at least can tell if it's an off the rack P ritchey or a custom for racing done by TR.
that's a cool bike. very cool bike.
Since it's a TIG'd frame, it's likely it isn't a custom.

rollswithpogies said:
On closer inspection the frame is a Ritchey. There's a Ritchey engraving on the derailleur hanger.
Even though your frame is very likely a Ritchey, those dropouts were available to many builders. A frame with Ritchey dropouts does not necessarily make it a Ritchey. There were many a Salsa and Phoenix built with Ritchey dropouts.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.