Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been around to 2 dept. stores that have a rather impressive bike section...the one has a schwinn chain (made in china), and the other has a bell chain (made in taiwan). now, if i were to need a replacement chain, would it be better for me to get one of these chains? or should i just hold out for one at a real bike shop?

i'm a little confused as far as country of origin goes...i've read that taiwan (the bell chain) has better QC standards than china, and i've also heard a lot about different OEMs buying the exact same product and putting their label and a new price tag on it...so, i was naturally curious about this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
These are probably chains sold only on an OEM basis (to manufacturers to be used on new bikes). Odds are you won't find them sold as replacement chains.

You have lots of choices in sourcing, brands, and quality within brands. I suggest you start at something slightly above the cheapest, and experiment until you find your prefered mix of price and quality/durability. If you want suggestions, ask a dozen people and get thirteen answers, then decide for yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.