Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
All the hollow pivot point pivot tubes should be the same, with the difference coming in the bushings. If all you need is the pivot tube, you shouldn't even need to take measurements.

John is an excellent guy to work with, and can get you just about any part for your Sweetspot. You'll also find he still has a passion for them, and loves to help keep them running.

·
ride for fun
414 Posts
thats good to know, i do have the bushings by not the tube.

thanks!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Got my Frame back from John and WOW is all I have to say. The pivot has no play at all and is super smooth, it's better than when it was new.

He actually did quite a bit of work, the pivot area on the frame was out of round, he reamed it to fix the out-of-round condition. Then he made aluminum inserts to very tight specs--plus or minus a half thousandth, then pressed in the "Taiwan" sized Igus bushings.

He also discovered the frame was 1/4 degree out of alignment and fixed that.

I'll post some pics's when I get a chance, gotta get a couple parts to get this bike rolling again before I can do a test ride, but I know it's gonna be sweet :thumbsup:

This certainly was not worth his time money wise, and has to be his passion at work.

Thanks John!!!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm trying to push a friend of mine over the edge on getting a Zorro, and he's shared with me the info, etc, that he's gotten from John. John certainly supports his bikes well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from John.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Built the bike back out with a hodgepodge of parts I had laying around and took it for it's maiden voyage last Thursday. Rides really sweet thanks Johnn for bringing an old friend back to life :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
TahoeBC - that's fantastic that you met and got to work with JC on restoring your HG frame. Is this something that JC is up for more of - restoration work?

I just pulled out my 1997 Factory full suspension for a 6 hour race and it was great. Pivot is at the end of its life so planning to do an overhaul (I've been collecting parts knowing this project was coming up).

I will say this: anyone who has one of these frames needs to put an new shock on the back and front if you have not already. I now have a Cane Creek Cloud 9 in the back and a RockShox Reba Team on the front and it is a totally different (and bettter) bike. Feels like a brand new bike, really.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
smailsteve said:
TahoeBC - that's fantastic that you met and got to work with JC on restoring your HG frame. Is this something that JC is up for more of - restoration work?
I believe so, call him John's Number is 877-PIVOTLESS, or e-mail him [email protected]

Super nice guy and has a passion for these old bikes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Smailsteve: I'm looking at the Cloud 9 for my '97 FS HG. My AD-12 is shot so I'll do the Cane Creek trade-in. Where there any specific or unique measurements for your installment? Did you deal with Cane Creek directly?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cannot believe how resourceful you guys are. I mentioned back in July 2009 that John Castellano still supports these bikes with bushings/bearings and you took off with it.

I am so psyched that these bikes are still around. I get *lots* of comments about it. I am constantly amazed at how many people stop me and ask about it because they have an old one in the garage due to bad bushings/bearings. They perk up quickly when I mention that they can still get parts!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey TahoeBC, have you tried that adapter plate for the rear disc brake? It looks like it should work as the rear triangle is pretty tight and the plate should simply move the modern caliper into the correct position.

Hope someone here has tried it because it would be great to stop running a mullet (Avid BB7 disc front, V brake rear)! That V brake in the back simply causes the rear triangle to flex too much so there's not too much stopping power.

Thanks for any feedback.

Keep the rubber side down or you'll be wearing a frown!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Hey broonsby

I have not tried the adapter yet, I'm waiting for you to tell me how it works out;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Been a while since I visited this thread but I'm still subscribed. I sold my 99 Factory suspension last Spring (2010) and started riding a 6" giant Reign. Great bike, but not the efficient climber the sweetspot is. This winter I spotted an S-10 carbon with ALL original parts, even a factory tioga rear tire, on CL and picked it up as a spare. After a couple of training rides I've decided to build it up and use it for racing/epics and xtended climb rides. I bought another Risse Genesis for the rear since i was so happy with it before, a Monkeylite XC Carbon bar, 2010 Reba SL 100mm fork, and I have a set of 2009 Crossmax SL's. I'll post pics as the parts come in and get loaded to the bike. I was going to have a local fram builder weld a disc brake tab on the rear triangle, since the s-10's were made from 7005 I'm told they don't need to be heat treated after welding. However, even with that I was quoted more for that than I paid for the bike ($175 vs $150). I'm planning at this point to use the adapter sold by toronto cycles. It looks to be stiff enough and gets the caliper up and out of the frame joint. I have new BB7's waiting as well. Target: about 24.5 lbs.

Oh, & the ODI lock-on grips with Red clamps looks positively SICK against the red/black frame!

I'll be back with photos and a comment on the toronto cycles adapter in about 10-15 days.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ooooh, don't tempt. I have not tried the SS thing, I do a lot of climbing at my favorite trail network. I may look into 1x9 though, with a bike under 25 I think I could push a 26 or even 28 tooth cog but I'd want an 11-36 cassette.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just got John Castellano's bushings and installed them. Tough to get it right because they seem like they are actually flared, but a great, tight fit when in. Hey, can soemone save me a little time? I have a raceface Deus XC crankset with external BB. Will that work on the older BB shell? I'd like to use this modern crankset, but if the Schwinn won't take it, I'll leave the old square taper LX. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
The external bottom brackets work just fine, though I'd strongly recommend facing the bottom bracket shell. I've found every single one I've done needed facing, I suspect because of how it's welded into the rear triangle.

Pick up the DMR STS kit from Jenson USA for $40 and give single speed a try. You definitely owe it to yourself to do it at least once.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Set my old sweetspot up with the cross tires and did a 80 mile, nearly 13K of vert ride on Saturday, fun to get out on the ole bike again. Think I have a reason to ride this bike more now as single speeding never really appealed to me and I can't ride a hardtail any more due to lower back issues, so set up as a cross bike is perfect for getting this bike back into ride rotations again.

Coe Montercross light by tahoebc at Garmin Connect - Details

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Reviving an old thread for clarification on the bushing size for aluminum Factory Homegrowns. Is it the same as the McMaster bushing mentioned early in this thread but with a 4mm thick flange? Does Castellanodesigns still sell them? I sent him an email this morning, but I can't wait until Monday to find out. Thanks in advance!

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,184 Posts
John does still sell them. I took him my frame a month or so back and he took care of me. Great guy!

81 - 99 of 99 Posts