Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Awesome not Rad
112 Posts
Hi, I love my Mazda, thats why I am posting in the Ford owners club forum and asking questions Miata.....

Sorry Schwinn guy (can I call you GUY?) but this is a GT Forum...

There is a POS forum exclusive to Schwinn and Mangoose

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
farmerjohn said:
Hi, I love my Mazda, thats why I am posting in the Ford owners club forum and asking questions Miata.....

Sorry Schwinn guy (can I call you GUY?) but this is a GT Forum...

There is a POS forum exclusive to Schwinn and Mangoose

Well the Schwinn Forum used to be combined with the GT forum after they they both got bought by Pacfic and became wallmart bikes. When they split the Forums up this old thread did not get moved with it.

Enjoy your POS GT farmer boy I hear there good for sneaking up on sheep :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seeking info on Sweetspot flanges for S-30

RoosterFXP said:
I found some new old stock!

I bought several pair of them... all he had but its enough to get several bikes back on the trail.

I will put some up on ebay to try and recoup some cost... first auction #130200618407
Hi, My S-30 finally started creaking enough to annoy me into searching for info on replacement parts. I found a 2006 reference to McMaster-Carr part number 57785K39 UHMW Bearing Flange for 1-1/2" Shaft Diameter and 1-3/4" OD. I bought a couple of those and they arrived yesterday. Sadly these parts are way too loose on the bearing tube to be of any use. Would you happen to have any more up to dat info on the true replacement flanges? My originals are a beige color.
Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i still have 3 pair of the beige ones... email me at roosterfxp at yahoo. if for some reason you dont hear from me send me a pm here on the board.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spotty Sweet parts

Yo RoosterDuuuuude,
Thanks for the followup. I'm in comms now with TahoeBC with a view to trying a blue set he has collecting dust. If TBC's parts come through and fit the bill/frame/bearing tube I'll be sending him the McMaster-Carr items I've already purchased. If those don't fit I'll return his then I'd definitely like to take up your offer for a beige set... especially as my originals are that color. I've no idea about the color esoterics.
Cheers.
P.S. Not sure how I would reply to you off this public thread but I'll try what I think you suggested.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
TeamCodger said:
Sadly these parts are way too loose on the bearing tube to be of any use. .
Sorry if this sounds insulting, but it isn't meant to be. Did you press the bushings into your frame before checking the fit to the pivot tube? I say this because I bought similar bushings in another application, and they were way too loose when "free." However, pressed into their proper location, they tightened up to the correct amount for the application (a shock pivot on another bike). It doesn't seem like this would happen if you just look at the bushings, but it does.

I have both blue and tan bushings lying in wait for my Sweetspot, and they both are too big for the tube in their free state.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Helpful hommies - SweetSpot War and Peace

Yo CTB... Thanks for the beta ... no insult detected and glad of your input. Very interested to hear that the McM-Carr 57785K39 would endure being pressed into the frame and result in a snug fit on the bearing tube. As you say, just eye-balling it leaves me thinking there's a definite size gap that would not be bridged by squeezing the flanges in. TahoeBC mentioned something I'd noticed about the flange outer rim thickness: his blue set have an obviouse slimmer profile/thickness in comparison with the 57785K39. Mr. Rooster is my best option at the moment I think because the beige colored ones I've removed are at least the same color as one of the sets he has and that's a pretty good start. I'm going to work with him to get them to me for a looksee. I'll bear in mind your findings in the event that the fresh beige set don't fit the bill/frame.
Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sweetspot Parts

Hi Guys!
I have a Schwinn Homegrown Sweetspot carbon frame (98,99?) and know what you mean about parts sourcing issues. Well, it turns out that John Castellano designed the sweetspot bikes for both Ibis and Schwinn. He has parts for your bikes! Check out the link below and contact him for parts.
http://www.castellanodesigns.com/index.html
I asked him awhile back about forks (I got a 100mm Tora, what a difference!) and got great answers. He even sells rear shocks speced and built specifically from Fox.
Keep the rubber down!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Broonsby! I never even thought to see if Castellano had parts. I've wanted to put a nice Fox on the back for a while now, but there aren't any standard ones that match the dimensions and travel. I'm intrigued...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of bushings for Schwinn Homegrown alloy frame. brand new...mint. I ordered a set of bushings for my S20 right before schwinn was bought by Pacific. Unfortunately for me, they sent the wrong ones and they have been collecting dust for about 7 years. I just know there is someone out there with a Homegrown alloy frame that would love to get 4 or 5 more years out of it. lundpaul at tds.net

·
Registered
18 Posts
I still have several pair beige for the s-series alloy frames (not homegrown factory frames) and 2 pair blue (for the carbon Y frames). Contact me via PM or email me at yahoo where my email is RoosterFXP at Yahooooooooooooohoooooooo.com... I can take Paypal direct or set up an ebay auction, your choice.

I have sold several sets to people in this thread... they are legit, original schwinn parts.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So is that the determining factor for the bushing types - Carbons got blue, aluminums got beige? What did aluminum Factorys get? I have one set of each, beige and blue, in my stockpile of parts for the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Factory Homegrowns had the coated aluminum bushings like the ones the guy above has for sale (they are very rare). They have a 4mm flange thickness vs. 2mm

All swingarms have the same measurement inside to inside and the BB on the Factory Homegrowns are basically 4mm shorter, therefore requiring a thicker flange on each bushing.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I don't know if anyone still cares about this thread, but the carbon Homegrown frame's bushings have a 42.25 OD while the aluminum Homegrown frame 'sbushings have a 44.25mm OD.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ran across another lot of these (the beige ones for S-Series) and picked them up, man were they dusty. They were factory sealed and in new condition. $40 a pair

PM me here and I will get in touch with you fairly quick. These responses go to my yahoo mail so if you dont hear from me in a few days message me again. Sometimes they get in my spam folder.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
broonsby said:
Hi Guys!
I have a Schwinn Homegrown Sweetspot carbon frame (98,99?) and know what you mean about parts sourcing issues. Well, it turns out that John Castellano designed the sweetspot bikes for both Ibis and Schwinn. He has parts for your bikes! Check out the link below and contact him for parts.
http://www.castellanodesigns.com/index.html
I asked him awhile back about forks (I got a 100mm Tora, what a difference!) and got great answers. He even sells rear shocks speced and built specifically from Fox.
Keep the rubber down!

Hey Broonsby

Thanks for the info, talked to John today and he is shipping me some bushings, I'll let post again once I see how well they work. He also has pivot tubes and derailleur hangers

John's Number is 877-PIVOTLESS

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
TahoeBC said:
Hey Broonsby

Thanks for the info, talked to John today and he is shipping me some bushings, I'll let post again once I see how well they work. He also has pivot tubes and derailleur hangers

John's Number is 877-PIVOTLESS
Yes he does, but he still hasn't gotten back to me if their OD is 42mm or 44mm. Maybe I'll give him a call today.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I called and talked to John. He's a very nice guy with a lot of practical knowledge. Anyway, his bushings are 42mm, which would fit all S series Sweetspots, and the Homegrown carbon Sweetspots. He said he's going to look into trying to find some of the 44.5mm (1.75") bushings for Homegrown aluminum users.

I tried the McMaster UHMW bushing, and while it pressed into the frame beautifully, there was a fair amount of play between it and the pivot tube. It's unfortunate, since it would have been an extremely convenient source.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bad mechanic et al, I'm thinking of upgrading the old rear sid and have done just enough research to have learned that the cane creek cloud nine or ad-10 is a proper fit for my 99 HG Factory Suspension. There could be others, but to know for sure, I need to better understand the dimension standards and what will fit. I see numbers like 7.75x2.25. I think the first is bushing eye to eye and the second could be stroke length or bore radius. Which is it? is there a limitation? I am going to use a 100 mm front fork; is there a handling/wheelbase dynamic I need to pay attention to? Thanks for any input.

FB.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts