Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an old 70's schwinn road bike for 10 bucks at a garage sale. I've decided to convert it to a single speed but am kinda unfamiliar with the whole procedure. I'm no mechanic but I can perform basic bike maintenance.

any tips on tools to buy, hubs, etc. I'm assuming a cassette wrench, but am overwhelmed with the options regarding hubs and all that jazz. thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
icrider said:
I bought an old 70's schwinn road bike for 10 bucks at a garage sale. I've decided to convert it to a single speed but am kinda unfamiliar with the whole procedure. I'm no mechanic but I can perform basic bike maintenance.

any tips on tools to buy, hubs, etc. I'm assuming a cassette wrench, but am overwhelmed with the options regarding hubs and all that jazz. thanks
Which model Schwinn did you get? I recently scored a '77 Super Le Tour 12.2 for free at the shop. It's now my fixie school bike.

Here's what I did:
Built a set of wheels, Alex DR13s on Suzue Jr. flip-flop hubs, 36 spoke 4-cross.
Bought a set of Dia-Compe Mod 610 centerpulls, I needed the extra reach, since the bike was built for 27" wheels
Wald North Road h-bar. I was gonna run it upside down, schorcher-style, but I would have needed a stem with a longer quill and more extension, and my Schwinn (and yours, I bet) has a .833" inside diameter steerer tube. "Schwinn-sized" stems are hard to find.
Brooks saddle

With 700x35 'cross knobbies and a 39x17 gear, it's hoot in the dirt. I prefer a back brake for off-road riding, it makes skidding the rear wheel (to level the cranks and avoid pedal strike) easier. I think I'm gonna put one of those new Wald "lift-off" baskets on the front, for backpack (and 6-pack) stowage.

--Shannon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts