Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as far as i kow. a couple years back, schwinn mongoose and gt were purchased by big companies, schinn by canadian tire, mongoose by walmart(supposidly) and gt by i dont know but they dissappeared in my town.
now i just went on the three bike companies websites, and they still have sick bikes on there, im just wondering how you get ahold of these sick bikes when the only retailers i see in my town are canadian tire and walmart.. both of whose schwinn and mongoose bikes are laughable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Can get decent Schwinn (such as the Straight -Eight), some fairly good GTs and Mongoose Pro bikes here in Japan. Just picked up a Mongoose NX DH 2002 model, very happy with it. Mongoose makes the NX DH for the Japanese market (only?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
I wouldnt mind having one of those rebadged Turner's that EC rides :D I thought GT was purchased by Pacific, same with Schwinn......at least thats what my LBS said............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Last I heard...

Pacific had sold Schwinn/GT to someone else. I've not heard who(m?). Schwinn bought GT, company went bankrupt, bought by pacific, Schwinns now in Walmart. They do still make some nice bikes but I've not seen a dealer for them. Sad to see Schwinn and GT treated this way. They made some nice bikes.
 

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
mtnkiwi said:
Can get decent Schwinn (such as the Straight -Eight), some fairly good GTs and Mongoose Pro bikes here in Japan. Just picked up a Mongoose NX DH 2002 model, very happy with it. Mongoose makes the NX DH for the Japanese market (only?).
https://www.mongoosebikes.com.au/
Strangely we get some kick arse Mongoose here in Australia.

...some stupid non-bike related sponsor stickers look corny as hack.

I think Mongoose is now just a brand name that had a reputation, but since they were bought by other companies, we kind of lost their own identity.
Meaning the US-Mongooses are what Walmart think is worth outsourcing (BMXs and lame MTBs), Outside-US-Mongoose take on other identities. We get the boring Mongoose as well as other decent ones from else where. Another example, mtnkiwi mentioned the "NX DH" for Japan... me no read japanese https://www.tim.hi-ho.ne.jp/aoyama/mtb/ourbike/mng_dh.htm
 

·
mtbr "member"
Joined
·
719 Posts
I haven't forgotten Schwinn...

at the beginning of the year, I got a hold of a New 2001 Rocket 88 frame that was "left over" and lost in the stock room of my LBS during the bankruptcy era of Schwinn. They no longer carry Schwinn by the way.

Parted out my 2001 NRS, which I bought over the Rocket in 2001 because I was unsure of how any warantee issues would work. But the rocket was the bike I really wanted. Transfered the parts to my "new" frame and I'm loving it. It's been 8 months so far. No problems, excellent ride, definitely stiffer than my NRS.

Hopefully it's not just the New-bike-honeymoon period still lingering. I hope who ever now owns GT and Schwinn will return the quality and respect the two names deserve. I think Mongoose may be too far gone.

REEK
 

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
Reek said:
Parted out my 2001 NRS, which I bought over the Rocket in 2001 because I was unsure of how any warantee issues would work. But the rocket was the bike I really wanted. Transfered the parts to my "new" frame and I'm loving it. It's been 8 months so far. No problems, excellent ride, definitely stiffer than my NRS.

Hopefully it's not just the New-bike-honeymoon period still lingering. I hope who ever now owns GT and Schwinn will return the quality and respect the two names deserve. I think Mongoose may be too far gone.
Out of the three brands focused here: GT, Schwinn and Mongoose.
Mongoose clearly has no backbone and GT even after its bankruptcy still managed to maintain it reputation and be able to put out its own bikes.

- Mongoose has no backbone, everyone used to dream about owning a Mongoose, now this a Walmart brand, shamefull stuff.

- I know someone that owns a pre-bankruptcy Schwinn and I can say they have skipped since.Reek's Rocket may not be as light as the NRS but because it's bigger build gives him/her more stiffness.

- GT is lucky to have riders like 'No Way' Hans Rey stick with them through the sh!t, along with Brian Lopes help revive GT. GT's product range is the most consistent and impressive of the three.

GT will fully recover soon. Schwinn will probably be stuck in the low/mid-end of bikes, but Mongoose will still be selling bikes to Walmart and not develop an identity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
actually.. just the other day i saw a guy riding a bike called the Mongoose Menace, 200$ full suspension beast. glad to say i passed him..(but i managed to crash later on in the ride and broke a rib-- different thread)

Sporting goods stores like dick's, sports authority, modells, etc.. are carrying diamondback, haro, GT, mongoose, mountain cycle?, and other "classics"... wierd
 

·
mtbr "member"
Joined
·
719 Posts
roll122 said:
actually.. just the other day i saw a guy riding a bike called the Mongoose Menace, 200$ full suspension beast. glad to say i passed him..(but i managed to crash later on in the ride and broke a rib-- different thread)

Sporting goods stores like dick's, sports authority, modells, etc.. are carrying diamondback, haro, GT, mongoose, mountain cycle?, and other "classics"... wierd
Really? Mountain Cycle? Say it isn't so.

REEK
 

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
Joined
·
576 Posts
I have a Schwinn, got it at my LBS in April and they are still selling them. Its definatly way beyond Dept store quality. It isnt top of the line, but I paif $400 for it. And I love it. Only problem I have with is that it isnt light at 32lbs. But I love it.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top