Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any idea how much a 1997 schwinn Homegrown (hardtail) should go for today if sold used? Some guy is asking $600 and I think that's a bit steep. He says it was a pretty damn good one but I could buy a brand new decent bike for that much.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
col200 said:
Anybody have any idea how much a 1997 schwinn Homegrown (hardtail) should go for today if sold used? Some guy is asking $600 and I think that's a bit steep. He says it was a pretty damn good one but I could buy a brand new decent bike for that much.
Comparing the cost of bikes back then to now is like comparing apples to oranges. In the mid-90's, most decent specd front-suspension hardtails were well over 1K. Now you can get a really nice specd one for $600.

One more thing......consider what you are getting with a used bike. Things wear out on them. IMO, I would spend the $600 on a new bike, or at least a **newer** bike than the 97 model year. Unless you love that specific model of course.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
448 Posts
XTR group? easton frame tubes?

brianthebiker said:
Comparing the cost of bikes back then to now is like comparing apples to oranges. In the mid-90's, most decent specd front-suspension hardtails were well over 1K. Now you can get a really nice specd one for $600.

One more thing......consider what you are getting with a used bike. Things wear out on them. IMO, I would spend the $600 on a new bike, or at least a **newer** bike than the 97 model year. Unless you love that specific model of course.

Just my .02.
if it wasn't beat badly-all metal does fatigue,it could be a good deal. any upgrades? good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.