Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Schwinn is junk now.

My wife bought me a schwinn cruiser from Wal mart to replace the ancient scwinn three speed cruiser I gave to my son. It is really junk. schwinn might have meant quality in the past but now it means junk. Too back Pacific keeps buying nice bike companies like mongoose and schwinn and ruining there reputation. It would be much better if these companies simply went under. The bikes are all made in China the parts are pretty bad.

My wife thought my bike would be good because it has aluminum rims and stainless spokes. They new just what parts a semi-informed buyer would look for. The hubs are stamped metal chinese junk not shimano or even pyramid. The threads on ever parts are pretty bad. It took me 3 hours to change the chainring because the threads were so bad on all the parts. I guess they have special power machines to help them assemble these bikes quickly, because the threads are so bad on many parts you need a stout wrench and a cheater bar to work the parts back and fourth.

Any bike shopwho buys these and has to warrantee them or work on them will be earning their money the hard way. Here in Raleight there is a bike shop the buys the stingrays whereever they can and changes the handle bars and resells them for about $400.

The old quality schwinns are not coming back any time soon.

·
digs bikes
49 Posts
odd, maybe the stingray is in demand somewhere else, but not here (as far as I can tell)- the only one I've ever seen is at Target. Its been there at least a week. Pretty hard to ride, it weighs about as much as I do and the steering is awkward and tippy. But I guess if you have that kinda change to drop on something that is meant to just look cool, go for it.

and yeah, its sad that schwinns are garbage now

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Sigh... Rode my homegrown earlier this week, i love it. Selling my Rocket 88 (on one of those big auction sites), I don't need a shorter travel bike. They made some super kick ass bikes.

The local Performance store has a couple new cruisers ($400ish) and some newer GT Idrives, and they look ok, at a casual glance.

We can only hope they rise from the ashes a second time.

·
Its only 1" on the map!
1,160 Posts
Rocket Good

Debaser said:
Sigh... Rode my homegrown earlier this week, i love it. Selling my Rocket 88 (on one of those big auction sites), I don't need a shorter travel bike. They made some super kick ass bikes.

The local Performance store has a couple new cruisers ($400ish) and some newer GT Idrives, and they look ok, at a casual glance.

We can only hope they rise from the ashes a second time.
Ditto on the Schwinn Rocket 88! I loved my 2001 Rocket 88 (Stage 3). I cracked the frame after the Pacific buyout and the only thing they could offer me was a 2000 Rocket (that year had issues) and a GT I-Drive 1.0. Went with the 1.0 The Rockett climbed well, I imagine puttting on an SPV shock would make it even better.

Over in Japan, I see plenty of the Straight 8's on the downhill courses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts