Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I now have several rides in on my new Schwalbe Evo RaceGuard 29er Thunder Burts and I have to say their performance has been less than stellar. Three major complaints:

1) One of the tires I received has a distinct wobble in the casing. I am running them tubeless and the tire bead is seated correctly and I even went to the trouble of popping the tire bead out of the rim and re seating and the wobble is still there. I have been running tubeless for many years and have mounted many tires and I believe this is a non uniform casing issue. Of the three issues I have this one is more of a nuisance rather than a major problem.

2) When cornering at high speeds and shifting from the smoother center section of the tire to the larger knobs on the sidewall the transition is destabilizing. The lack of a smooth transition reduces my confidence in the tire when cornering at high speeds. In addition, the larger knobs have a tendency to make the tire want to climb the edges on narrow concave single track. I might be able to get use to the transition if it were not for the third issue which in my mind is a major problem.

3) The sidewall on the tire is collapsing / giving way when cornering at high speeds or when standing and accelerating hard out of a corner. The collapse of the sidewall is only happening on the rear tire which I'm running at 25 psi which is pretty much the standard tubeless pressure I run in the rear (20 psi F). Also for the record I weigh 170 lbs. which is not super light but far from clyde weight. After today's ride I noticed numerous curved zebra stripes equidistant in spacing all around the entire circumference of the sidewall on both sides of the tire. I believe they may be stretch marks from the sidewall cords showing through??? The sidewall collapse causes my bike to squirm badly (unnerving at high speeds / annoying at low speeds) and IMO is totally unacceptable.

Needless to say these tires are coming off and I'm reverting to my standard Conti Race King selection. I willing to accept the weight penalty of the Contis given they are very predictable in virtually all situations and I do not have sidewall collapse issues. It was a noble experiment with a light race tire that looked promising but turned out to be a fail. If I'm missing something obvious in terms of installation / use of the Thunder Duds please let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Cusco! Great report! :)

I do believe that the difference between Raceguard and Snakeskin can be substantial.
Raceguard is placed under the thread and will probably have a negative effect on the tire when using low pressures. If you increase the pressure 5-10 psi, will you, as far as I understand, get a another behavior.
Snakeskin on the other hand will probably support the tire and boost the cornering performance when the pressure is low, if my analyze is correct. :)

Peace.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts