Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey.

Having a hard time mounting a UST Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy Light 1.9" on a set of Bontrager Tubeless wheels. Even had a hard time mounting the tire--with a tube--on a Mavic 517 to stretch it.

Pretty sure my technique's fine--My 2.1" Spiders go on by hand, no tools. More soapy water doesn't seem to help.

Anyone had similar experiences? Suggestions? Should I just leave it on the standard rim for a longer time to stretch it (I had it on for >24h).

thanks
Gorilla

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
800-lb-gorilla said:
Hey.

Having a hard time mounting a UST Schwalbe Skinny Jimmy Light 1.9" on a set of Bontrager Tubeless wheels. Even had a hard time mounting the tire--with a tube--on a Mavic 517 to stretch it.

Pretty sure my technique's fine--My 2.1" Spiders go on by hand, no tools. More soapy water doesn't seem to help.

Anyone had similar experiences? Suggestions? Should I just leave it on the standard rim for a longer time to stretch it (I had it on for >24h).

thanks
Gorilla
I tend to have to fight most UST tires. Don't be afraid of using levers. The UST's are pretty tough.

·
Registered
168 Posts
woodyak said:
I tend to have to fight most UST tires. Don't be afraid of using levers. The UST's are pretty tough.
Levers to go on? IMHO - You're doing something wrong. If you get both beads down in the channel you can put them on by hand, no problem. I just mounted UST Spiders this weekend - by hand - no problem. ;)

I'd be afraid of damageing the bead using levers. :eek:

·
Registered
168 Posts
woodyak said:
Depends on the tire. I've found Hutch's and Conti's mount very easily by hand. Schwalbe and Geax are very hard to mount by hand. I can do it if I really crank on it or I can just pop it on with levers. I use levers all the time on UST tires and I've never had a problem.
Interesting.... I've got a set of the Pedro's plastic levers that I carry on the trail. They look like they be easy on the tire.... Always good to have "plan B". ;)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Fat Albert UST's Are a...

Bear to mount! First couple of times, I almost gave up. I do use levers on them, but they are much easier to mount now. The Spider UST's i have on the other rig are MUCH easier to mount!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.