Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I got a 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1. I decided to change the Geax Saguaro tires it had on for the new Schwalbe Thunder Burt TRL Raceguard tires. The Rims are Stans Arch 29ers and im using Slime pro, which did a great job with the Geax Saguaros (Which weren`t even tubeless ready). The thing is is that after pumping to 45 PSI i have like 40 bubbles on sidewalls loosing air. Ive read its the pores of the tires, and that this kind of racy tires have more pores on sidewalls. Even the Schwalbe website informs that EVO lightweight tires might take up to 3 days to seal properly. The thing is that every time I inflate the tire again to 45 psi it keeps on loosing air. I then think it sealed, because i hear no more air leaks, but i find that pressure dropped to 20, if I inflate back to 45 its just like the 1st day. I`m leaving tires half hour on each side, pumping them and rotating them but I don`t see any progress. Will these ever seal. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Ive read on the forum that a good idea is to ride the bike with the tires on but i don`t think they will hold air for a block. Slime Pro is a pretty good product but I`m loosing my faith here. By the way how the hell is this thing gonna seal a puncture if it cant seal a 0.00003 milimiter pore? I accept any ideas, techniques, tricks, palm on the shoulder, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys. I got a 2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 1. I decided to change the Geax Saguaro tires it had on for the new Schwalbe Thunder Burt TRL Raceguard tires. The Rims are Stans Arch 29ers and im using Slime pro, which did a great job with the Geax Saguaros (Which weren`t even tubeless ready). The thing is is that after pumping to 45 PSI i have like 40 bubbles on sidewalls loosing air. Ive read its the pores of the tires, and that this kind of racy tires have more pores on sidewalls. Even the Schwalbe website informs that EVO lightweight tires might take up to 3 days to seal properly. The thing is that every time I inflate the tire again to 45 psi it keeps on loosing air. I then think it sealed, because i hear no more air leaks, but i find that pressure dropped to 20, if I inflate back to 45 its just like the 1st day. I`m leaving tires half hour on each side, pumping them and rotating them but I don`t see any progress. Will these ever seal. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Ive read on the forum that a good idea is to ride the bike with the tires on but i don`t think they will hold air for a block. Slime Pro is a pretty good product but I`m loosing my faith here. By the way how the hell is this thing gonna seal a puncture if it cant seal a 0.00003 milimiter pore? I accept any ideas, techniques, tricks, palm on the shoulder, etc.
Stan's sealant should solve your problem.

·
Lazy Overachiever
224 Posts
FWIW, I used Stan's on my T/B with no issues. It sealed right up after sloshing it around for a minute or so. I'm running the 29 TL Ready version.

P.S. I'm loving this tire so far. It has amazing forward traction considering the tread profile. Braking grip............not so much on our type of loose over hard. (Boise)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok so Stans seal them fine. Anyones has had experience sealing them with Slime Pro? I tried to get Stans no tubes but I love in Argentina and ita really hard to get. And when u find it it will cost the same as 2 bottles of Chivas. It would be great to find a Slime Pro experience. Its crazy but I pump the tire, a lot of pores loose air. I locate them, shake the wheel and they seal. Im almost happy and 4 seconds later psssssss psssssssss pssssssss 3 other pores go open. I seal them and a minute later pssssss again. Its a damn nightmare!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update fro my epic tire change. Set them on Saturday, seemed ok. on Sunday totally flat. Whole Sunday pumping and rotating and leaving on sides for hours, came back tires totally flat. Monday the same thing but every time less pores. My biggest improvement was staying by the tires, or lets better say trowing the ries on a side wherever I was and as soon i hear a psssss i go rotate seal and lay on that side. This made pores practically dissappear. Also rotating every 15 minutes or so. Today Tuesday seems to be holding air ok to go for a short ride and see if this helps seal better. I totally encourage to anyone buying this tires to quit their job or claim having Ebola Virus so u can spend 3 days rotating this little f***kers. Schwalbe should offer a 30 grams more pre-sealed sidewall version for people who have a life apart of tire fitting.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Can I ask why you have been inflating them up to 45 psi? That is pretty high, you're opening up those sidewall holes more than necessary.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what they recomend both on Schwalbe and Slime Pro tutorials. 3 bar or 42 psi. U think i should try lower pressures?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4th day and still no seal. Rode them today around de block inflating them every mile. Gonna get some more slime on those damn tires again tonite to see if i help them seal, if not get some slime. Its 70 dollars a bottle down here. Damn tires. Damn Slime.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I read this as if you aren't doing the shake with the tyres?

Ie wheel parallel to the ground and in front of you , grip the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock , and shake it for ten seconds, then move the wheel around 6 inches, same process untill you have returned to the same spot, then flip and do again - that's how you coat the inside of the sidewalls.

BUT 45psi is only for seating the bead, put it back down to 30 for the above process. You've gotta get that stuff covering everything on the inside of the tyre - letting it simply lay flat won't do it.

·
Lazy Overachiever
224 Posts
4th day and still no seal. Rode them today around de block inflating them every mile. Gonna get some more slime on those damn tires again tonite to see if i help them seal, if not get some slime. Its 70 dollars a bottle down here. Damn tires. Damn Slime.
Stan's is selling for <$30 on ebay. 32ozs. with worldwide shipping.

Slime Pro is <$20.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read this as if you aren't doing the shake with the tyres?

Ie wheel parallel to the ground and in front of you , grip the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock , and shake it for ten seconds, then move the wheel around 6 inches, same process untill you have returned to the same spot, then flip and do again - that's how you coat the inside of the sidewalls.

BUT 45psi is only for seating the bead, put it back down to 30 for the above process. You've gotta get that stuff covering everything on the inside of the tyre - letting it simply lay flat won't do it.
Yes I`ve been doing the shaking. Today I aded 20 more Ml through the valve on each tire and that seemed to make it seal. Gotta check back in a while. The guys at slime say some weels might need more liqido on the firstr time. Lets hope this works!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stan's is selling for <$30 on ebay. 32ozs. with worldwide shipping.

Slime Pro is <$20.
Yes its a bit complicated. To make it short, as stuff is so expensive here, and Ebay is cheaper, people started buying everything online so now its practically forbidden. You got a 35% tax for stuff u buy outside Argentina + 50% tax for importing it + making a IRS declaration of what you buy, purpouse, and how you got the funds. And after you do all that, the package probably wont arrive. My sister is in Miami right now ill try her to get me some of this! Thanx a lot for checking out on EBay. BTW i added 20ml more on each wheel and that seemed to be the solution. Ill left them resting on the side and rotating them, ill check the pressure in a while.

·
Lazy Overachiever
224 Posts
Yes its a bit complicated. To make it short, as stuff is so expensive here, and Ebay is cheaper, people started buying everything online so now its practically forbidden. You got a 35% tax for stuff u buy outside Argentina + 50% tax for importing it + making a IRS declaration of what you buy, purpouse, and how you got the fundes. And after you do all that, the package probably wont arrive. My sister is in Miami right now ill try her to get me some of this! Thax a lot for vhecking out on EBay. BTW i added 20ml more on each weel and that seemed to be the solution. Ill left them resting on the side and rotating them, ill check te pressure in a while.
Yikes!!! Hell, if it's that crazy expensive, maybe you should become a wholesaler, and skim a couple ounces as needed. :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, hopefully you're good to go now.

Good luck, and enjoy the tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still no sealing: Same thing over and over. Can`t fnd Stans (I can, but from overpriced smugglers) but they sell CaffeLattex or something like that. " "reliable" LBS told me its basucally the same formula as Stans No Tubes. Anyone had experience with those?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys. Im keeping a log here to get help and it might help someone struggling with this tires in the future. The tires are much better now, but sill loose air from one day to the other. And the from tire has like a 8 inch section on both sides where it still has open pores. Its like a hole area which wont seal. I managed to get some Stans No Tubes. The one wheel 59ml little bottle. Im tempted of trying to mix it with Slime Pro and see if it seals before disasembling, cleaning and installing Stans (I got a big bottle on its way from Miami). What do u guys think about the mix?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Posting this mostly as future help for guys who might be having the same kind of trouble. I finally managed to get some Stans down here. As fitting this tires to this rims is almost impossible and i was already fed up with this tire thing I just removed the valve core and inserted about 40ml of Stans to be combined with Slime Pro. It instanly changed. Stopped doing the stupid bubble leak and seal with a little latex pouring from the sidewall. The bike is now ridable, it only looses air like in 3 days. I will keep suing it like that and in a couple of months clean up and leave Stans only. Dont use Slime Pro on Schwalbes TLR.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok update from by war against pores. The pores sealed much better with the mix but still lost air and wouldnt hold pressure above 30psi. So today i disassembled my wheels, cleaned all the stuff. As stans rim tape is 50 dollrs down here I used 3M electrical tape. One turn on each side onad the final turn on the center of the rim. Then I Inserted the valve, and fought hard to get the Thunder Burts on the Stans. they simply dont fit so it was lots of work, Got 80ml of Stans no tubes and the wheel sealed instantly. I mean not even one bubble. Holding 40psi just like that.
Conclusion: Dont try Slime Pro on super racy porous sidewall tires. It just wont work. Ive tried it for weeks. Stans sealed straight away. Massive difference. Hope this info is useful to someone else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts