Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
So I am thiking about getting these tires. At the moment I am using pythons quite happily, so thats the sort of conditions I ride in.
I weigh about 130lbs with gear so I'm light and at the moment run tubes.
Do the 2.1 RR's compare in size to python airlights?
How do the wear compared to pythons? Alot faster? I use my bike for everything including road so I get about 1000km on my pythons. Which i feel is quite good. DO the RR's compare? Or are they gone in like 500km?
Also, would the RR's be better in very dusty conditions, sand and also loose rocks?? If so then I have found my perfect tire.

Thanks.
One other question. For hubs(king), what colour should I go with? I was thinking all black, but I would be willing to choose silver or even pewter? Is silver to bling bling? Heres a pic of my bike. I quite like Mikes wheels that he has on his new RacerX(meaning the colours and the actual build).
And lastly, mavic 717 or DT swiss D4.1? Was thinking DT.
Heres a pic of my bike to help with colour choice:D

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Pewter

Would look good on your bike... Match the color of the frame- well close to anyways :p I was going to go Green, although I'm having doubts about which hubs to go with my new wheelset. King's have queit a weight penalty which is tough to make up for on a UST wheelset :mad:

As for the Racing Ralf's I cant answer your question- But I hear they are getting snapped up by racers, etc... pretty quick here in Australia.

-Cul

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CulBaire said:
Would look good on your bike... Match the color of the frame- well close to anyways :p I was going to go Green, although I'm having doubts about which hubs to go with my new wheelset. King's have queit a weight penalty which is tough to make up for on a UST wheelset :mad:

As for the Racing Ralf's I cant answer your question- But I hear they are getting snapped up by racers, etc... pretty quick here in Australia.

-Cul
Ye heard that too...
I raced yesterday and kept falling inot ruts, LOL! Never did I get hurt, but it was frustrating! Hit a Tree cause of one of the dusty ruts! LOL! Hope I did alirght, thinking I came about 10-15 out of like 30.

Well I could get DT swiss hubs, but I want these wheels to last me my next bike/s. So king it is. I did have a go with the WTB hubs, sweet hubs, just bad luck I guess. Afraid to try them again, but they were nice.
I will just be getting what ever colour is available. Just hope I have the choice of either black/silver or pewter!

·
Registered
858 Posts
Cant be as bad as my race... Had a nasty fall after a snapped chain / incident with an Elite rider... First time back on the bike after breaking my wrist (on the bike) and I go and throw it down the dirt again :rolleyes: All good this time though- the chain was the only casualty.

Tyres: I'm in need of some new rubber- You can litraly feel on the bike how heavy my Specialized tyers I raced on yesterday are when compaired to light weight ones; Unfortunatly my Maxxis jobs are worn to the carcuss :eek:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes, good tire...

But a couple of things: If your ride your bike on the road a lot, I don't know how much tread life you're going to get out of the RR. They wear kinda fast, in fact I use mine for race setup only. As far as size, when inflated properly they are a true 2.0 as is the Python Airlight but, the Python casing has a slightly higher profile, maybe by 3-4mm. I'm running a RR front and Python rear and I can't tell that it affects handling one way or the other though. I've used the RR in a variety of conditions, and have yet to be disappointed, but I'd have to say that it's most at home on hardpack.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Soooooo...doc...I see you made the disc brake/wheel plunge. 717s/WTB combo? Also looks like Formula B4s? Bike sure is purty.

·
Registered
219 Posts
CulBaire said:

-Cul
Big weight penalty with Kings? I bought King hubs because I thought they were light! Not as light as DT240 or Tunes but still light....

From other discussions that have occured on this board, it sounds like the RRs might have better traction than Pythons in places where Pythons are sketchy, like loose dirt/sand. I ride Pythons like you, and I just can't get over how fast they are. Schwalbe's are expensive so I went with Pythons which can be had cheap in Canada.

Also it looks like docJD and maybe bike_freak have the aireon SLR-ripoff seat? I know it's been asked over and over again but is there a confirmed weight on this? 180-something?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Very good Duck...

Duckman said:
Soooooo...doc...I see you made the disc brake/wheel plunge. 717s/WTB combo? Also looks like Formula B4s? Bike sure is purty.
Yes, my paper route, grass cutting, can collecting jobs finally paid off. Those are, in fact, XC717's with WTB Lazer Lites (built by Mike Garcia) with Eclipse Tubeless kits (by Dirt Boy). And yes, the brakes are B4 Pro's (also by Dirt Boy). I can't say enough about the Eclipse system. I was really worried about their reliability having only used UST rims but so far they're really holding up well. No more leak-down than I experienced with my UST wheels.

And the brakes! Man, why didn't somebody tell me about discs?! Now that the pads are bedded and the squeal is gone, I'm thrilled with them also. If I'm not mistaken the wheelset came in at 1560gm without tape. Couple that with the switch to bolt-on skewers and that wheelset should come in close to my old UST Crossmax setup. I'm currently bolt-tuning the brakes to try and get them down a little as well.

As far as the RR's are concerned, are you running the 2.1's or the 2.25's on your race bike. Reason I ask is that I'm seriously considering going to a 2.25 up front. If it is a 2.25 are you running it tubeless? I seem to remember you posting a while back that you had problems getting the 2.25 to seal.

The Doc

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,938 Posts
The 2.25 RR is really a 2.1" in tread width (and less than that in casing width). It is pretty light though. Hutchinson's Scorpion 2.0s are 2.0 in casing width and 2.2" in tread width, and the Airlight scorpions are pretty close in weight to the 2.25 foldable RRs.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
The 2.25 was run front and back during the Pisgah Death March. Front only at Hawkes Creek race. I run a specific tire combo for each ride. At the Ag I ran a 2.1 front and a Conti Twister SS in the back. All with Stans now. The 2.25 is hard to seal without rimstrips on the ust rim. The fix is use a tube first to seat the beads...then deflat and take off one side only..take the tube out and reinstall the static ust valve...and then you only have one side the seal/fight, which has always worked for me. I ran 2.1 RRs at both ends at Conyers. The 2.1 stretches to a larger volumn tire after a while. Damn-dis thing I've ever seen. Same width as the Pythons, but not as tall, exacly as the Doc states. The RRs don't like rolling gravelly stuff on hardpack much, but less then a full knobby rarely does IMHO. Lost the front end at speed twice bigtime Sunday at the Ag Center course, altho I never fell. heheh. Tacky loom, hardpack, imtermiate, and I love the RRs. Roll fast. Ride great. Wear about the same or somewhat better then the ALs to me, altho my ALs are worn as hell by now.
On the squeal, after bedding, one can lightly sand the pads to remove any glazing that the breakin process generated. This comes from "smallish but sorta not plained to the flatness of the rotors upon first installation"..um..action, and cause glazed highspots that squeal when heated. Will prob wear off in use anyways, but this will help expedite the problem.

Hmmmm....I need to try the Eclipse system with my 317/vxc wheelsets.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
Racing Ralphs kick a$$

I absolutely love these tires for racing. I run the 2.1 with Stan's or Eclipse sealant on x3.1 rims and DT XR4.1d rims. For SoCal they are just great. The rear wears a bit quicker than a Python, but the front is maybe better because the knobs on the Python disintigrate, whereas the RR simply wears down. I avoid riding them on the road and consider them a race tire mostly due to $$ (I will replace after 150 miles of racing plus 300 miles of training). But they behave extremely well on the road (WAY better than the NBX lite). Traction in dirt is very good everywhere and they roll very well, but the 2 most important things are that they are incredibly durable and they are very predictable. In my race yesterday I hammered these through some nasty sharp rock fields and they did not let me down. In fact I passed a guy a few hundred feet from the finish in such a section when he bobbled and I was able to hit the groove and sprint the last few corners to the finish. That was for 3rd place - my first podium in Expert, which may explain my enthusiasm for these tires.

bike_freak said:
Hey,
So I am thiking about getting these tires. At the moment I am using pythons quite happily, so thats the sort of conditions I ride in.
How do the wear compared to pythons? Alot faster? I use my bike for everything including road so I get about 1000km on my pythons. Which i feel is quite good. DO the RR's compare? Or are they gone in like 500km?
Also, would the RR's be better in very dusty conditions, sand and also loose rocks?? If so then I have found my perfect tire.

Thanks.
One other question. For hubs(king), what colour should I go with? I was thinking all black, but I would be willing to choose silver or even pewter? Is silver to bling bling? Heres a pic of my bike. I quite like Mikes wheels that he has on his new RacerX(meaning the colours and the actual build).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Overly flexy sidebites

bike_freak said:
Hey,

Thanks.
I don't know about you,l but I lean pretty hard when cornering downhill, or making corners of any kind for that matter. I have a X-Country course in my backyard( I have a big backyard) and I tried the RR's for a couple of rides. Every time I tried to push them in a corner the damn things washed out on me. Now I ride Kenda Kinetics and these tires stay abslolutely glued to the ground as long as it isn't icy. I tear it up now and have the time of my life. Ditch the RR's and go with kinetics or something. Happy Trails

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
mikey42186 said:
I don't know about you,l but I lean pretty hard when cornering downhill, or making corners of any kind for that matter. I have a X-Country course in my backyard( I have a big backyard) and I tried the RR's for a couple of rides. Every time I tried to push them in a corner the damn things washed out on me. Now I ride Kenda Kinetics and these tires stay abslolutely glued to the ground as long as it isn't icy. I tear it up now and have the time of my life. Ditch the RR's and go with kinetics or something. Happy Trails
I've found the same problem with washouts on loose over hardpack with the RR's. But they do give pretty good grip otherwise. Size wise, the RR 2.1's are slightly smaller volume than the Pythons and the Karma DTC's, but still decent volume. The 2.25 RR's are a nice big volume. I'm using the Karma DTC's as my tire of choice right now due to availability, price, and grip. But they, like the other race oriented tires, wear very quickly.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
~ScaryFast~ said:
Big weight penalty with Kings? I bought King hubs because I thought they were light! Not as light as DT240 or Tunes but still light....

From other discussions that have occured on this board, it sounds like the RRs might have better traction than Pythons in places where Pythons are sketchy, like loose dirt/sand. I ride Pythons like you, and I just can't get over how fast they are. Schwalbe's are expensive so I went with Pythons which can be had cheap in Canada.

Also it looks like docJD and maybe bike_freak have the aireon SLR-ripoff seat? I know it's been asked over and over again but is there a confirmed weight on this? 180-something?
Yeah, mine weighed 187(I think). But I got it cause I was just at supergo(I live in Aus). And saw it, and figured I will try it out, and if I fall in love with it then I know I can handle the SLR. And I have fallen in love it:D

Well the problem is I do alot of road riding, mostly to get to the trail heads. I wouldn't say I do much km's of training on road, just it all adds up I guess.
I may try it as a front tire? And use the python for the rear?
With these tires I will loose about 80grams per tire over my python gold elites. Then I am getting some Twin Ti eggs over my standars, new front wheel(king) over my chepa doeres. My bike is getting real light real quick!

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Congrats dude. 3rd Expert is no small feat. I can only hope to do as well someday.

Yup on the tires. Figure they at least didn't hurt, eh?

Duck

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
The 2.1 epic wolf is close

bike_freak said:
Hey,

Thanks.
But a little smaller with more of a tread. The schwable alberts are an option too. Im running black Ck hubs on blk DTY XR discs. i really like um for there strenght more then how they look or how much they weigh. Get rim...

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Duckman said:
Congrats dude. 3rd Expert is no small feat. I can only hope to do as well someday.

Yup on the tires. Figure they at least didn't hurt, eh?

Duck
Hey duck.
What tires are you running now?
News just in... I have enough money to get my King wheel(only front for now) and also Some Deus Cranks! YES! Will probably have The matching rear wheel by december.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yea, that's about right...

From what I gather, the weights are pretty inconsistant on these saddles. I've heard anywhere from the high 170's to the high 180's. Mine came in at 182gm if I'm not mistaken.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
At this very moment(I change tires like underwear)the race bike has 2.1 RRs on it, with the black nrs having a Conti Explorer pro front and Jimmy light back, and my HT with Karma's front and back.

·
Code Burr
1,382 Posts
I've been using them for about 6 months now and love them.
They work excellent for hard pack and roll as fast as the Hutch Pythons they replaced.
They seem more durable than the Python Air Lites but are a little heavier.
They dont handle loose conditions that well but arent a true knobby so if you need something for those conditions get the Big Jim 2.25. Its around 560 g's and corners excellent as well as handles loose stuff pretty well, yes it rolls alot slower.
I still think the rr's are way better than the pythons in cornering and overall traction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.