Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install a Racing Ralph as my rear tire and am confused about which way the tire should run.

Is this tire meant to be run in in different direction on the rear as opposed to the front?

On the tire it has the following wording accompanied by arrows (< or >): "< FRONT < > REAR >" - does this refer to the direction that the tire needs to be run based on whether it is being used as a front or rear tire, or is it just meant to point to the front and the rear of the bike; which would mean that the tire would be run in the same direction whether it was on the front or back.

I hope that I have not confused you too much. I know I am.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I have been using Kendas (SB8, Nevegal, Excavator) and they were supposed to be run the same direction on either the front or back.

It just threw me for a loop that a tire would be run in the exact opposite direction on the rear than on the front. Really surprised me.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back tires are optimized to provide the driving force, and front tires are optimized for braking.

Roadsters - Thanks for the response. Yeah, I just figured that the optimal rear tire would be a tire made specifically for "driving force" and not just a front tire ran backwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.