Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Schwalbe tends to change things around, I'm trying to follow along and not feeling like I'm succeeding.

Right now, I'm running a Super trail Magic Mary in the front, and sometimes it doesn't seem to have enough grip.. so I'm thinking of trying the next one up.. not sure what it is. Their websites is always confusing to me, so I'm currently looking at it (Magic Mary HS 447 Downhill & Enduro MTB Tire | Schwalbe Tires NA), and I'm not sure what the next softest would be and hopefully not suck to pedal (27.5 x 2.6). The Supertrail is good, but in the loose stuff here in Colorado it's not as grippy as I'd like in the summer.

Not sure if it's PSI I'm running (24 front on a 35mm IW rim), or if it's the compound.

I figured I might need a supergravity soft (not ultra soft because that would last three rides), but I'm not sure. Any suggestions for Schwalble? Not running Maxxis on this bike, so don't suggest it please.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don’t think the sidewall material will help your issue.

I’d definitely try lower pressure, then maybe try thinner if loose grip is what you need. Softer for hard stuff but you don’t want super soft. And hard ground sounds like not the issue.

Consider a mud tire? Can’t say I’m saying that from experience like the above tho.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think the sidewall material will help your issue.

I'd definitely try lower pressure, then maybe try thinner if loose grip is what you need. Softer for hard stuff but you don't want super soft. And hard ground sounds like not the issue.

Consider a mud tire? Can't say I'm saying that from experience like the above tho.
I'm not asking about sidewall material-it's knob durometer. Does anyone still use it? The knobs on the supertrail don't seem as soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
You're currently running Addix soft tyres so would want Addix ultra soft if you need more grip (the Addix type determines the rubber hardness). These come in both Super gravity and Super downhill versions (the Super type defining the carcass/sidewall construction)... both would have the same wear rates and grip, more or less.

In 2.6 width, it appears you're limited to the Super downhill if you want the ultra soft compound.

Their website is actually reasonably helpful on the terms, if you can find the correct page.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Describe your surface conditions a little more. “Loose” can mean a lot of different things.

I have yet to try a more grippy tire than the Magic Mary for our dry (and wet) loam which has a lot of clay in it. However, the trails I ride are soft all the way down; not loose over hardpack.

The only softer compound Schwalbe offers is the Addix Ultra Soft. It’s worth considering and might last longer than you expect— but I’m also wondering if the Magic Mary is the right tread pattern for your conditions.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Describe your surface conditions a little more. "Loose" can mean a lot of different things.

I have yet to try a more grippy tire than the Magic Mary for our dry (and wet) loam which has a lot of clay in it. However, the trails I ride are soft all the way down; not loose over hardpack.

The only softer compound Schwalbe offers is the Addix Ultra Soft. It's worth considering and might last longer than you expect- but I'm also wondering if the Magic Mary is the right tread pattern for your conditions.
Its rocks and loose over hard park. It does fine but I'm not sure if I'm running too much psi (a possibility since they're on 35mm IW), or if its a compound thing (also a possibility).

Since I'm on funemployment right now, I'm not in a rush to throw money at a tire, but i can since summer is almost over.

Do you run the ultrasoft? I was running a softer compound on the assagai (compound is fine it's maxxis' lack of true to size measurements that i hate), so that's why I'm asking.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Didnt try the new SuperTrail version, but never had issue with the old SG Soft in the summer Alps. Since end of last season i moved to the UltraSoft compound in the front (Soft in the back), and its big difference in the grip, special when its wet and muddy.

Dont know why the Soft compound not working for you on rocks, loose over hard pack in dry conditions... never tried 2.6 (using 2.35), but maybe you should try lower psi.

As for the UltraSoft, no big difference in pedalling compared to the Soft (and much better compared to the Maxxis i had), and im surprised how good its holding, looks like i wont need new one till next season.

Hope its help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am riding Schwalbe Magic Mary Super Gravity Ultra Soft 2.35 front, Maxxis DHR II DD 2.4 back. For me a good combi for mostly home trails in midrange mountain high and 1-2 weeks p.a. In the alpes. They give way more support than the EXOS from Maxxis. Thats why i switched to them. I have a 34/1x11 (11/42) Shimano XT mounted and i am not the slowest one.
i highly recommend them

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Its rocks and loose over hard park. It does fine but I'm not sure if I'm running too much psi (a possibility since they're on 35mm IW), or if its a compound thing (also a possibility).

Since I'm on funemployment right now, I'm not in a rush to throw money at a tire, but i can since summer is almost over.

Do you run the ultrasoft? I was running a softer compound on the assagai (compound is fine it's maxxis' lack of true to size measurements that i hate), so that's why I'm asking.
I am running a MM Addix Soft up front and on the rear I've got an old stock MM that says Trail Star 3 which is their older compound name system. It does seem a tad softer than the Addix Soft - yet it has held up all season. That said, I tend to be easy on rear tires and typically go through two fronts for every rear.

On my other bike I just bought a Maxxis DHR II in the 2.6 size, MaxxTerra compound and it is amazing on hardpack and loose over hard. It measures about 2.5" wide on my i29 rim. I ride that bike on more of the conditions you're describing (loose over hard).

My enduro bike has the Magic Marys and I ride that pretty much only on ultra steep loam and tech trails that don't have near as much traffic from other riders, so there is a lot less hardpack underneath. The Magics wipe the floor with all Maxxis tires except the Shorty in those conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Just a few thoughts:
  • Pressure- You don't state your weight, but 24psi on a i35 rim and 2.6 tire on the front is on the high end. I am running a Hans Dampf 2.6 in the older (lighter) snakeskin casing on an i35 rim on the front of a hardtail at 18PSI and I am 200 pounds. Unless you are getting rock strikes on the rim, I would suggest trying to drop them down to 20 psi and experiment from there.
  • Conditions- I don't know what your rain situation is, but here in California it is so dry and blown out that trails have less traction than last year. I was struggling with front traction on familiar trails, thinking something was wrong with my suspension and my kid told me nope, it is just crap right now, his bike was doing the same thing.
  • Magic Mary and Loose- Magic Mary's are good in loose conditions. I have run them for years on my DH bike, but there is a point where things get so loose, blown out, and dusty (i,e. Northstar moondust at the end of season) that they get overwhelmed. The Assegai is a more aggressive tire and will maintain more traction in those conditions. In Schwalbe you would go to the Dirty Dan, which will give you more traction in the really soft, blown out stuff, but the tradeoff will be the side knobs will want to fold in firmer conditions and they will roll slower.
  • Compounding- Compounding will help if there is a hard bottom under the loose stuff. If it is so deep and blown out that you are just rolling on loose stuff or powder without a bottom, you are almost entirely dependent on knob height.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a few thoughts:
  • Pressure- You don't state your weight, but 24psi on a i35 rim and 2.6 tire on the front is on the high end. I am running a Hans Dampf 2.6 in the older (lighter) snakeskin casing on an i35 rim on the front of a hardtail at 18PSI and I am 200 pounds. Unless you are getting rock strikes on the rim, I would suggest trying to drop them down to 20 psi and experiment from there.
  • Conditions- I don't know what your rain situation is, but here in California it is so dry and blown out that trails have less traction than last year. I was struggling with front traction on familiar trails, thinking something was wrong with my suspension and my kid told me nope, it is just crap right now, his bike was doing the same thing.
  • Magic Mary and Loose- Magic Mary's are good in loose conditions. I have run them for years on my DH bike, but there is a point where things get so loose, blown out, and dusty (i,e. Northstar moondust at the end of season) that they get overwhelmed. The Assegai is a more aggressive tire and will maintain more traction in those conditions. In Schwalbe you would go to the Dirty Dan, which will give you more traction in the really soft, blown out stuff, but the tradeoff will be the side knobs will want to fold in firmer conditions and they will roll slower.
  • Compounding- Compounding will help if there is a hard bottom under the loose stuff. If it is so deep and blown out that you are just rolling on loose stuff or powder without a bottom, you are almost entirely dependent on knob height.
Yeah definitely gonna start at 21/23 next time to see if it feels better. Colorado rocks here lots of soft over hard.

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Definitely you should try and see how low you can go without having rim impacts.
With the 2.35 MM SG, im having 16.5psi front/18psi back.
That's good to know. I'm thinking that running it at 24/25 front/rear was way too high, so I'm going to try 21 front and 23 rear and see. The NN in the back can handle the lower pressures without feeling slow, so I should be able to take advantage of this.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,549 Posts
2.6 addix Nobby Nic tires came on my Ripmo. I thought they were great tires in the end of summer into fall. It seemed Schwalbe had made their tires tougher and more sidewall slice proof. I was at 19 psi front and 21 psi rear and they were great. Then it got wet, and I realized they are not the tires for me. Too hard of rubber durometer In Speedgrip blue stripe. But they sure were fast and tough. Really quite bad on wet rocks and roots. I like Schwalbe, but too expensive, I would try some Soft compound if I could find em for $60-65 (29 x 2.6)

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
I know you asked about Schwalbe...but have you checked out the Specialized tires? I recently replaced my 2.35 Hans and Nic combo for a 2.3 Eliminator and Purgatory combo on one bike and went with a 2.6 Butcher and Eliminator combo on the other. I was surprised at how soft feeling the knobs Spesh tires are. They feel almost softer than the Addix Soft on my Schwalbe tires. Also at $60 per tire...the price is reasonable too.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,259 Posts
I know you asked about Schwalbe...but have you checked out the Specialized tires? I recently replaced my 2.35 Hans and Nic combo for a 2.3 Eliminator and Purgatory combo on one bike and went with a 2.6 Butcher and Eliminator combo on the other. I was surprised at how soft feeling the knobs Spesh tires are. They feel almost softer than the Addix Soft on my Schwalbe tires. Also at $60 per tire...the price is reasonable too.
AZ gets blown out too. Dropped the pressure until no rim strikes and currently running 2.6 Butcher/2.3 Eliminator. The 2.6 Butcher is definitely a true 2.6. The 2.6 Eliminator is more like a 2.5. The side knobs wear better than the Maxxis tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
@stripes, my recommendation is to drop pressure. I'm in Oregon where we have lots of roots plus some rock gardens; climate change has given us kitty litter over hardpack where we used to have blue groove. This stuff is slippery in summer so I'm always on the hunt for a tire that can handle it. Anyway I'm about 183# / 83kg and run about 15psi in my front tire (couple psi higher in the rear) but I should add that I'm a good line picker and tend to float. Running 2.6" wide tires on i30mm rims. Only dented two rims in 36 years of off-road riding. Natural terrain; regularly hit 2-3' drops but never land in jagged rocks.
You mention above that you're at 21psi ... maybe try even lower? You won't be folding sidewalls with rims as wide as yours at even lower pressures and you just might find that the ~15-18psi range gives you even more of the grip you're after.
=sParty

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Thanks everyone. I ended up dropping the pressure to 21/23 and it was much better. I really appreciate the advice!
Looking at the Nobby Nic, HS 602, Evolution Line, Super Ground, TLE, Addix Speedgrip....why would anyone consider THAT confusing? Heck, that's probably one word in German!
They certainly went off the rails a while ago, in nomenclature.
Anyway, I bet you could go lower, depending on weight and riding style.
I have noticed that my tire that is 16 psi in my nice cool basement is 18.5 psi when I get to the trailhead on a hot day.
I'm 165-ish and more interested in the climb than the descent, and my climb times peak (especially in rocky Utah climbs) at about 12 psi front, 16 psi rear, at the trailhead.
My wife, who is 40 pounds lighter, and less aggressive, likes more pressure, so it's personal preference, for sure.

Edit: Like Sparticus, I tend to absorb a lot in legs and arms in the descent and don't seem to have issues with tire folding or rim strikes at these low pressures. I do up it a bit to about 14/18 on my forays to Moab, but that's just a precaution.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm 165-ish and more interested in the climb than the descent, and my climb times peak (especially in rocky Utah climbs) at about 12 psi front, 16 psi rear, at the trailhead.
My wife, who is 40 pounds lighter, and less aggressive, likes more pressure, so it's personal preference, for sure.
wait, what?

I need to learn more about this. You drop pressure to the floor and your climbing is FASTER at 12 psi?

Or when you said your times peak, did you mean literally, they reach their maximum at 12? :D

Seriously, if there is more to this than just dropping pressure, I wanna know the combo. I would LOVE to see my climbing times improve while simultaneously rocking <15 psi pressures.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.