Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
It was actually exactly what I've been going with lately, 24 psi front 27 rear. I've done one before on a different site I guess that said I should be way lower it was like 17psi.

If you play with the different conditions and trail types it varies a lot though, I put rocky terrain and mixed conditions, mixed terrain mixed conditions says to go lower, which is probably reasonable.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Played with that earlier today.

At 145lbs (no gear)...its telling me 23 and 26 psi for 2.35 and 24mm IW rims. 17 and 20 psi for 2.6 and 30mm IW rims. A few PSI higher than I usually run. I'm willing to give it a try.

I did mixed and dry conditions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
What it fails to take into consideration is the individual characteristics of different tire brands and models.
I'd suspect that with the same tire size, I'd settle on different pressures for tires throughout their own model range.
Also, some people ride harder than others. Crashing and bashing their way along, while others tread lightly and land smoothly
I think it's a pretty good tool for getting a rough pressure to start with.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,357 Posts
Wow, pretty far off for my own case. I'm running about 13f/17r on 29x2.6 WTB Vigilante/Trail Boss tires on 30mm DT rims and Huck Norris insert in the rear. It's recommending something in the 23f/27r neighborhood for me (with how I actually ride), so roughly a 10psi difference. Playing with the settings, I don't really get it to spit out anything close unless I find the exact setting that spits out the lowest pressure for my riding (which doesn't really reflect my riding or terrain well). And even then it's high.

I suppose it's as good a starting point as any, but you probably still should follow the axiom "when in doubt, let it out" to fine tune.

·
Registered
17,243 Posts
Way higher than what I run but I don't use Schwalbe tires. I'm not sure how the casings match up to mine but I got 27/30 psi which would be pretty terrible for me, currently @ about 20/23 and if anything I should probably go a little lower.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts
I was expecting lower pressures, it’s quite conservative. I fudged the category’s and to lower the pressures they want less weight , experience coupled w/ a heavier casing riding DH.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Played with that earlier today.

At 145lbs (no gear)...its telling me 23 and 26 psi for 2.35 and 24mm IW rims and 20 psi for 2.6 and 30mm IW rims. A few PSI higher than I usually run. I'm willing to give it a try.

I did mixed and dry conditions.
I tried the higher pressure on my Following...hell no. The pressures were way too high. The bike was chattering so bad on the way back down. The rear tire would skip when braking hard.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
I've settled on a 10psi split, 20psi front and 30psi rear, which no one seems to recommend or use besides me. Most guides recommend higher up front and lower out back, and then I lose cornering traction and wash the front, and dent up my rear wheel. No thanks.

A formula approach always seemed pretty weird. My bike is raked out and most of my weight is over the rear tire as-is, a 1 or 2 psi split doesnt support that.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
As you go down in riding ability, the rec pressure gets lower. Pro vs Rookie is 2.1 bar vs 1.6 bar.

Riding Style is murky.

Casing is Schwalbe specific. Going to Grid or TNT is guesswork.

Rider weight is without clothing. So the 25-35lb bike and 0-10lbs of gear is irrelevant? Ok.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,814 Posts
Just raced the 50 mile WOR last Saturday. I was able to absolutely slam the descents. Running a bit more than 30psi on 2.25 RRs, it’s simply what’s needed to prevent pinches and rim impacts on extremely sharp and loose terrain. I suffered a bit in some turns, but I watched a guy in front of me launch into a sharp rock garden on the 2k descent and he flatted right away. I need to be able to finish the race and bomb the descent. Lots of people find this out the hard way on this race, unless they are running big plus sizes, in which case they are slow and and far behind anyways.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Just raced the 50 mile WOR last Saturday. I was able to absolutely slam the descents. Running a bit more than 30psi on 2.25 RRs, it's simply what's needed to prevent pinches and rim impacts on extremely sharp and loose terrain. I suffered a bit in some turns, but I watched a guy in front of me launch into a sharp rock garden on the 2k descent and he flatted right away. I need to be able to finish the race and bomb the descent. Lots of people find this out the hard way on this race, unless they are running big plus sizes, in which case they are slow and and far behind anyways.
I bet if you put in rocky, enduro, pro you will get a number like that out of this calculator.

And I have seen plenty of complaints here on MTBR of pinch flats when tubeless, and smashed rims, that I know a lot of folks are taking risks with excessively low air pressure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.