Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been some recent threads about Schwalbe tire sizing going down, which corresponded to my experience with a pair of 2.35 x 26 Magic Mary in the SG casing for my old DH bike. They were puny, coming in at about 2.2 on a 25mm internal width rim.

Fast forward a couple of months and I moved a different DH bike, now 27.5 and ordered Magic Mary 2.6 SG tires (no more skinny DH tires that make me look fat) which came in at about 2.45-2.5 on a 25mm internal width rim. Well luck would have it, the first day on "new" bike and I managed to case the rear rim really badly on a sharp rock and destroyed it. After some back and forth with Mikesee, I ended up going to an i35 internal Asym WTB (super heavy at about 630 grams). The tires spread enough that on the rear wheel I got rub, so had to order a Big Betty for the rear. So after inflation and letting the tires stretch, this is what I come up with:

Magic Mary SG 2.6 x 27.5 on a i35 id rim- Casing 66.48 mm, knobs 65.72, weight unknown (didn't check, it is a DH bike). Schwalbe says 66mm so spot on.

Big Betty SG 2.4 x 27.5 on a i35 id rim- Casing 60.02, knobs 61.40, weight 1290 grams. Schwalbe says 62mm, so pretty much on the nose.

I can't provide any comments about how they feel on the wide rims, was supposed to go downhilling this weekend and life interfered. Hopefully next weekend.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive lighting Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Blue Tread Automotive wheel system Gas
Tire Calipers Wheel Automotive tire Tread
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Product Hood Motor vehicle

Reactions: itsky

· Premium Member
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Registered
696 Posts
So far all the Schwalbe tires that i had was true to size or a bit bigger when measuring the knobs once they stretched.
New 2.35 Magic Mary SG UltraSoft is 59.5mm and used 2.35 MM SG UltraSoft or Soft are 61mm, all on 30mm IW rims.

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
2.6 magic mary (super downhill casing) on a 25mm ex 471 rim = 61mm across the casing and 62mm across the widest knob. 2.4 projekt baron is 60mm across at the widest knob and 57mm across the casing on the same rim.
Now that my tires have been on for a while, I remeasured them: 2.59 on the MM 2.6, and 2.52 on the NN 2.6. Haven't weighed them, don't care. they're not as slow as the Maxxis.

These are all on a 35mm IW rim DT Swiss M542.

· Registered
115 Posts
Late thread bump.

2.6 magic mary 29, only measures 61mm at the casing, 62mm at the knobs.

super trail, 30mm internal width stans flow 3.

Will update on the 29x2.4 big betty super trail when i get my rim wobble sorted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts