Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got off the phone with Schwalbe. I have very little experience with this company, but so far I like them very much.

When I phoned them, my call was answered immediately. And the person who answered was knowledgeable and got me everything I needed on the spot. No transfers, no lack of information.

The reason I put this specific model tire in the subject line is because Schwalbe will send free replacement studs to their customers! I was quite pleasantly surprised by this. I did not think to ask if they offer this for other models, but I would imagine they do.

Note that the Ice Spiker Pros use carbide studs in an aluminum body. The other Schwalbe models use carbide studs in steel bodies.

I also learned that no special tools are required to install replacement studs. Simply use something like needle nose pliers to jam the studs into their cavities.

Also, Schwalbe recommends breaking new studded tires in on the pavement for ~25 miles (hopefully they'll start putting this tidbit on the packaging - my tires came with no such information). This puts more pressure on the studs, assuring they're fully seated and reduces the chances of losing studs.

Here is their number for North American customers: 1-888-700-5860

-Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are they sending you new studs? The shop I got my tires at said they were out of replacement studs? I actually lost at least two full knobs from our last ride did you notice the same?

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I actually lost about 23 studs on that first ride. I probably should have pushed the bike up a couple of those climbs, as that's what was most likely to have pulled them out. The majority of the ones I lost were in the middle of the tire.

Schwalbe said no problem and they're apparently sending them out today, so I would assume that means they have them on hand. Give 'em a call.

I have not yet lost any knobs....a few of them are a little chewed on the sides, but they aren't even 1/4 gone.

Ridin' anywhere this weekend? I'm out of town tomorrow, but hoping to ride somewhere Sunday. I haven't seen any reports on either FR or FOMBA this week...looks like at least one person has hit FR with a Pugs this week...

-Pete

·
Registered
95 Posts
I will have to call them and get some replacements.

I was thinking of FOMBA or FR, which ever place appears to have the better conditions. FOMBA is closer to home and I don't want to miss the game so that will be my tie breaker.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
hey guys
I want to let you know we rode at Marshabeesic Wed. and it wasnt too bad and we were on virgin trails so FT Rock and Fomba are probably ok too. not great riding but not bad either mostly 2" of powder. those snow covered boulders are a ***** though. I think it would be perfect for the Pug

FYI Nokian now sells replacement studs steel/ carbide and Ionova also has studs alum/steel and a install tool pretty cheap. the best studs are steel/carbide followed by alum / carbide for longest life
the alum/carbide alum/steel are lighter but the alum deforms and pulls out easier
also make sure theres nothing in the hole (like a bit of sand) and that the hole isnt torn if its torn dont bother as they wont stay in more than 1 ride

last year I called the Nokian rep and he sent me a bag of studs free, but this year they sell them supposedly you can lose 10% without a noticable difference
while you can use a neddle nose pliers the Ionova tool works much easier and better, its pretty simple and I think any tire supply house probably sells a similar tool

just checked and amazon has the Nokian studs and stud tool

http://www.amazon.com/Nokian-Replacement-Studs-Tires-bag/dp/B002KFDHCG

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Schwalbe is a pretty cool company. They warranteed a Fat Albert for me sight unseen.
They also seem to have technology down.
I am surprised though, that you went with a narrow tire over something like the Freddies, which are the undisputed king of studded tires...

·
Doesnt ride Banshees
1,406 Posts
indyfab25 said:
I am surprised though, that you went with a narrow tire over something like the Freddies, which are the undisputed king of studded tires...
Interesting. Years ago when my friend (Porter) switched from the foldable wxc300's (which I still use) to Freddies they were painfully slow. I remember being on the first ride with him and switched bikes for a bit. Despite both of us being on the same bike with different tires, it was like holding the brakes while pedaling in comparison. Did they redesign them, or is it our difference in power-to-weight ratio? :p

I agree though, the schwalbe studs look rad. Light, foldable, everything the wxc used to be before they made them heavy and wirebead. It'll be a few more years before I need new tires since I'm not big into winter riding, but the schwalbes already look (on paper) like the tire I'll end up with.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
Interesting. Years ago when my friend (Porter) switched from the foldable wxc300's (which I still use) to Freddies they were painfully slow. I remember being on the first ride with him and switched bikes for a bit. Despite both of us being on the same bike with different tires, it was like holding the brakes while pedaling in comparison. Did they redesign them, or is it our difference in power-to-weight ratio? :p

I agree though, the schwalbe studs look rad. Light, foldable, everything the wxc used to be before they made them heavy and wirebead. It'll be a few more years before I need new tires since I'm not big into winter riding, but the schwalbes already look (on paper) like the tire I'll end up with.
No, the Freddies are still fat and slow. although I set mine up tubeless and it made a huge difference

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
indyfab25 said:
Unfortunately, I can't fit a 2.3 on the rear of my Scalpel. I am indeed jealous of guys who can run a 2.3, despite the extra weight.

On a slightly different note, I found a common object that can be used as a stud installation tool: a Bic pen. Just pull the ink cartridge out, and the tip can be used to push studs in. It's not perfect - it doesn't hold onto the stud for you, and it is also flexible (so you need to push from near the tip - but I was able to push in 15 studs in about five minutes with it. Other brands of pen will probably work as well, if not better.

-Pete

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Banshee Rider said:

Watts/kg ratio aside, the Freddies do not roll well. A winter tire, in my opinion, does not need to roll well. A winter tire does need to grip well and float well. This is where the Freddies reign supreme. I like to think running them makes me a bit stronger as well. Good training. I never seem to notice other riders rolling away from me when they are riding "good rolling studded tires."
I've been curious about the Spikers but I am not a fan of narrow tires winter or otherwise. Winter riding does not seem to be about speed with regard to tires. For me, it is about security.

By the way, the Hakka 700x40 that I have on my fixie commuter isn't much better rolling if you can believe it. They are super sllllllllooooow. 30 milers on them are interesting.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,969 Posts
Pedalphile said:
Unfortunately, I can't fit a 2.3 on the rear of my Scalpel. I am indeed jealous of guys who can run a 2.3, despite the extra weight.

On a slightly different note, I found a common object that can be used as a stud installation tool: a Bic pen. Just pull the ink cartridge out, and the tip can be used to push studs in. It's not perfect - it doesn't hold onto the stud for you, and it is also flexible (so you need to push from near the tip - but I was able to push in 15 studs in about five minutes with it. Other brands of pen will probably work as well, if not better.

-Pete
Cool tip. Thank you.

That sucks about tire fit considering wider tires roll faster...Freddies aside that is...

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've been on a set of Ice Spiker Pros for a year and can say that they absolutely rock. I've only used them on back (dirt) roads here in the NEK on my singlespeed. Yeah, it's a bear to turn the cranks, but it makes for a solid winter workout.
I really want to get them on some icy trails at some point. The trails here are too snow covered for use with studded tires, unless they're 4" wide.
I've yet to lose a single stud. I think I set the studs well by riding hardpack snow and ice with minimal (road riding) braking. I also get about a mile of pavement in on each ride.
Given the weight and # of studs, I can't imagine picking a different studded tire (2.1"-ish) from the curent offerings out there. I'm glad to hear that Schwalbe is offering free replacement studs. That only sweetens the deal.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I almost mentioned in my last post that it's all about the right tool for the job.

I agree that from what I've seen the Freddies are fast on packed snow, and a no-brainer over skinnier tires in loose winter stuff. There is probably a body weight under which the Freddies lose their advantage over skinnier, lighter tires (I'm guessing if you're below 140 or so you'd find different advantages for each tire), but they're no doubt a great tire.

Also, when installing studs, make sure to use a lubricant. You can get 'em in dry, but it's not as much fun.

-Pete

PS - I haven't lost any studs since my first ride, and I've ridden similar conditions since.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Same here, lost a handful on my first ride, since then I have not noticed losing any. With all the recent snow however I have changed over to the skis, skinning up early am and getting some sweet powder before work!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree with Indy. Winter riding is about grip and float. Slow rolling? Who cares, it's winter and you're still on a bike. I think hckler and Pedalfile can vouch for me when I say the Freddies are'nt exactly holding me back. Just peddle harder. When spring comes, you'll be stoked that you're already in shape. Heavy? Yup. The first time I picked up my bike to put it in my truck, I thought I had grabbed my DH bike by mistake. Personally, I think the extra weight makes the bike more stable in slippery conditions. My .02

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can attest that Shad could have been riding on Nascar slicks and still would have been fast! I had to get used to dropping down to a 2.1 from a 2.3, they were a gift though so I really can not complain!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
hcklr said:
I can attest that Shad could have been riding on Nascar slicks and still would have been fast! I had to get used to dropping down to a 2.1 from a 2.3, they were a gift though so I really can not complain!!
Ha ha. The trail conditions were very speed conducive last weekend. I think everyone was going fast. If the temps cool down a bit after Mondays rain, we could have some pretty stud friendly conditions next week. How was skiing. I thought about joining you but after last nights sushi and Sapporo session, my stomach had plans of its own this morning.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Eating sushi is like playing Russian roulette!! You will have to come out some am, we are on the trail at around 6 so we can be done in time to get to work. Yes the upcoming rain could make for some awesome riding next week, looking into lights so I can go after work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.