Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been riding Weirwolf 2.3 UST (Nomad Carbon) and Muddy Mary UST (Firebird) for the past year. Muddy Mary is better for the mud we have here while the Weirwolf is a little better for dry conditions.

So for 2011 I decided to wait and try the Hans Dampf. It sounds like how I would design a tire. It's supposed to be good in the wet, in the dry, and everything inbetween. Sort of like a Muddy Mary with a little lower profile tread and more knobs in the transition area where the MM only had them something like every other or every 1/4th spot.

So I started with 35psi, some climbing and some fun/serious AM or nearly DH trails. (I'll post a vid below of the trail). I like to start a tire out at 35 because: I'm 230lbs, I ride a bike pretty hard, and some tires can handle less and some need more before folding over for my riding style. Yeah, some tires will just blow off the rim with less for my trails/riding style/weight.

Anyhoo, awesome tire. It has less rolling resistance than the Weirwolf or the Muddy Mary has. More cornering traction, and just feels consistent. The sidewalls are firm and I'm going to drop the psi to 32 or so when I ride next (probably tomorrow) and I would guess it'll be even better....

Here is the trail:

SST not from the very top from Clayton Petree on Vimeo.
 

Attachments

·
...
Joined
·
603 Posts
Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Porchsong said:
Clay,

Can you compare the Damf to the Nobby Nic 2.4's or the Fat Albert 2.4's?

I like both the NN and the FA's, but I'm curious where you would position the Damf in the Schwalbe line assortment.

Cheers.

Porch
Sorry, I haven't ridden either tire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MudBike said:
Clay,
Are you running them tubeless? Can you share where you got them?
Yes, tubeless. They have them just call and order direct. I don't like to wait for things....

The sidewalls on these things are great. I've ridden "for tubless but not UST" tires in the past from Specialized and another company and hated them because they rode squirmy no matter the pressure and ended up running them tubed. These feel no different to me than UST sidewalls. Maybe it's because the volume on these is quite high. Maybe they aren't, but they LOOK bigger than my muddy mary tires... almost as big as my WTB Prowler 2.5's.

I might go ride them for a quickie tonight with lower pressure. At 35 psi they grip extremely well but I feel there's more in 'em without getting a squirmy sloppy feel or denting my rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
Tire A : 784g
Tire B : 791g
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
rcjonessnp175 said:
Question, were did you mount your helmet cam for this FOV. Looks good i have a contour hd and been experimenting trying to find similiar to what your view is. Thanks ahead of time, also im stationed in germany picking up some mavic crossmax st wheelset tommorrow and hopefully these tires to.

Thanks

Jonesy
Hey Jonesy,

I have a GoPro chesty mount. So the camera is sitting on my beer gut while I ride :D

I'm not sure you can mount a contour that way just because of it's shape, but maybe? I'd love to try those wheels as well but $$$$$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
gticlay said:
Just got back from another ride. I set them at 32psi this time (I'm 230 with gear). They really are a too-good-to-be-true tire so far. The sidewalls still feel super consistent and so does the traction. So far, my favorite tire ever.

To answer jimarin:
Tire A : 784g
Tire B : 791g
Hi,
What rims do you have these on?
I just ordered some Flow rims and thought I'd try something besides a Nevegal tire..
I've been running standard 2.35 Nevegals (710 grams!) ghetto tubeless w/ no problems. Been looking for a tire w/ a tougher sidewall ... this might be it.

Can you compare the rolling resistance w/ the Nevegal?

thanks for the post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, rode them on my Nomad Carbon 1x10 today in super duper Pacific NW downpour weather. The kind where trails are mini streams. The lower knob height than the Muddy Mary means they don't quite dig in enough and spin a little bit here and there. Actually still pretty darn good in the rain/mud but if you are going to be riding them in mud all winter, the Muddy Mary would definately be better. Way better than a Nevegal 2.35, Mountain King 2.4, or Weirwolf 2.3 tire though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,021 Posts
Out of stock

The only place I can find these in stock is directly from Schwalbe.

They are listed for much less money on a couple of online dealers (but not in stock)

Anyone know where to buy these for ~$70 ...... not $90 !

thanks.
 

·
Currently muddy
Joined
·
108 Posts
Can't... resist... urge... to... buy...

Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.
Out of curiosity, what do you run for a rear tire?

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
Michael
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
emptyvoxel said:
Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.
Out of curiosity, what do you run for a rear tire?

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
Michael
Yeah, bikebling is good. stimulus also works for a discount.

I'm running the HD ft and rr.
 

·
meow meow
Joined
·
10,622 Posts
emptyvoxel said:
Damn it, Clayton! I've been wanting to try these tires out and your review has pushed me over the edge. I'm currently running a Mountain King 2.4 front (protection version set up tubeless) and a Nevegal 2.1 UST rear, so hopefully these will hook up and roll even better.
Out of curiosity, what do you run for a rear tire?

Client_9, I'm going to order mine from bikebling.com. I've ordered from them before, and although they're one of the online bike shops with nothing in stock, I usually get my orders within a week. Totally worth it, especially when you use the "realdeal" coupon code for an additional 10% off...

Cheers,
Michael
i ordered some pads and gloves from them and it took like a week and half for them to process and ship the order? not a knock on them but i was kinda surprised because they have a rep of shipping stuff fast.

anyway clay, hd front and rear? how do you like it on the back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Just got a pair of hans dampfs today. About the easiest tires I've ever set up tubeless - put them on some flow wheels. I didn't even spin it to distribute the sealant. Put the tire on, dumped sealant in, aired up. Could have mounted these with a floor pump I'll bet.

The tires weighed in at 783 and 785 grams.

I haven't ridden them on a trail yet but they have a burly feel to the sidewall and big knobs. Smaller casing than the fat alberts or the nobby nics. Next stop, moab.
 
1 - 20 of 366 Posts
Top