Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody :)
My rocket rons are nearly worne out and its time to get new tyres.
I am an amateur freerider and i ride in muddy and semi dry terrains.
I dont now witch tyre i should put in front...a Schwalbe Hans Dampf performance 2.35 or a Schwalbe Nobby Nic performance 2.4?I cant really go wider than 2.4.I will put a Nobby nic 2.25 at the back.
Thanks... :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hans Dampf. I heard Nobby Nics tend to let go suddenly without any sign. It's ok rear but on the front you need a heavy duty tire that won't surprise you.

If you really an amateur freerider you could look at Maxxis High Roller II for the front wheel and Maxxis Ardent for the rear wheel. They say it's a good combination. They last longer than Schwalbe tires according to riders reports.

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Go with the Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 upfront. One of the guys I ride with had an HD 2.35 upfront and a NN on the rear. He somehow punctured the NN, and ended up purchasing a HD for the rear as well, although, he purchased the version with the softer compound for the rear. He loves the setup.

This winter I rode with a HD 2.35 upfront as well. My SJ came with a specialized Purgatory upfront and a Control in the rear -- the Control is supposed to have a similar tread design as the NN. I was not very impressed by it. When I placed the HD upfront, I moved the Purgatory to the rear. Nice combination for the damp winter weather.

I have switched to Rocket Ron's for summer, and I can feel the weight difference -- with my 29'er wheels, it is a difference of over a pound in rotational weight... ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I may have got a little carried away: both my trail bike and downhill bike received a full complement of Hans, 2.35” in size, which is (unfortunately) the only size Hans comes in for 26” and 29” sizes. In both cases, it was Trailstar front and Pacestar rear compounds. The 26×2.35″ Evo Snakeskin seen here weighs in at a svelte 765 grams – very light for its class.

One is for whether it is the entry-level ‘Performance Line’ or the higher end ‘Evolution Line’. One is for tire compound and the choices are Vertstar, Trailstar, and Pacestar (from softest to hardest) for the ‘Evolution’ line. Another is for the casing construction – Snakeskin for lighter duty with some level of protection, Super Gravity is their lighter weight DH casing, ideal for Enduro or light DH. The final square states that the tire is ‘TL Ready’, meaning it can be run tubeless provided you use the sealing goo.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
for real downhill I would definitely do the hans dampf. Tons of front traction *never* had to worry about washing out the front. I have a nobby nic now and have to be more careful, but we dont have a ton of downhill, but have a lot of short tech climbs and short downhills.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Glad I ran accross this thread, I feel like my NN washes out a lot on the front, I thought it was just me.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have the HD up front. It works really well in a variety of conditions. I can't stand the Nic on the rear as it rolls much slower than they claim. I switched to a Hutchinson Cougar and have been very happy.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Glad I ran accross this thread, I feel like my NN washes out a lot on the front, I thought it was just me.
Try the performance version and reverse direction of tire . Both firm up the soft angleed edge tread.
HD is still better tire even in Pace star and probably Performance. It's noticeably much slower tire in Trail star though and not needed in most conditions IMHO. The small section edge tread flexs quite nicely in Pacestar anyway. I can understand softer compounds on larger block treads.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've been running the Hans Damf and Noby in the rear for thr past year and just switched to a 2.4 Noby up front. So far the bike accelerates a lot faster with the 2.4 and haven't noticed a huge difference in traction but it's obviously not going to be as good as the HD. But so far I like the set up my bike feels like a rocket.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
I used NN 2.2 front and rear on my Trance and liked them well . never felt sketchy at all. my new troy has HD 2.35 front and rear and feels like they are on rails . I was testing them and they grip better then i am willing to test them ! I have less then a 100 miles on the bike and tires but impressed so far.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I weigh 156 w/ equipment. I use HD 2.35 trailstar front & NN 2.25 pace star rear. 21 and 23 psi respectively. In hotter weather I might drop it each by 1 psi. Love my setup :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for all the answers...i will definetly put a hans damf in front.But il put a gravity evo.What tyre should i put in the rear then?I really cant go mutch wider than 2.25 maybe 2.3.Thanks :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
i'm thinking of going from a trailking 2.4 / specialized ground control in 2.35 (much smaller than the TK) to the HD 2.35 and NN 2.35, would this be a similar setup to what i have now? or should i go to a 2.1 NN instead?

i like how my current set up rolls and tracks but want to try something different

·
Registered
307 Posts
i'm thinking of going from a trailking 2.4 / specialized ground control in 2.35 (much smaller than the TK) to the HD 2.35 and NN 2.35, would this be a similar setup to what i have now? or should i go to a 2.1 NN instead?

i like how my current set up rolls and tracks but want to try something different
do what I did - HD 2.35 up front and NN 2.25 rear. Works like a charm ;)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I picked up a Giant Trance X0 29er late last fall and over the winter, when possible, I was running the stock Nobby Nic's front and rear...I don't care for the NN on the front as I picked myself up off the ground often. I kept the NN on the rear and then picked up a Minion DHF 2.5. The Minion is an incredibly confidence inspiring piece of rubber but is far too aggressive when things get dry and hard around here. I switched to an Ardent 2.4 for the front and it is great for the rocky, dry, loose over dry and loamy trails that are around these parts(the conditions and trails vary a lot) The Nobby Nic 2.25 rear worked good when there is a little moisture in the ground but when things got harder and loose over hard and on rocks it falls short. I have been on the hunt for a rear tire and recently picked up an Ikon 2.35 for the rear....I am impressed. So far it is perfect for the various conditions I described and it rolls and climbs GREAT! Today I reclaimed a KOM on a downhill segment that you can't pedal on, there is a section where you just have to carry your speed and it did well. A few more miles down the trail is a difficult and loose climb....no issues here. Rocky ledges and slabs...perfect. The tire rolls great, pedals great and corners just fine.

For what you described, I feel the more aggressive HD would be perfect for the front and the NN rear will work great.

On my 26" bikes I found the combination of a Purgatory front and either a Captain or Ground Control rear to be an incredibly versatile combination.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I weigh 156 w/ equipment. I use HD 2.35 trailstar front & NN 2.25 pace star rear. 21 and 23 psi respectively. In hotter weather I might drop it each by 1 psi. Love my setup :)
I have just got that same setup after many hours of reading reviews etc.
Find it strange though that the trailstar which is the softer compound than pacestar actually feels harder to the touch.!!
Not ridden them yet as I'm still in process of building my wheels.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have just got that same setup after many hours of reading reviews etc.
Find it strange though that the trailstar which is the softer compound than pacestar actually feels harder to the touch.!!
Not ridden them yet as I'm still in process of building my wheels.
I just came from 2 rides recently that really enforce my choice for setup and my style of riding. The other day we were descending a VERY rocky, technical single track and my front HD tire just gave me that confident grip I needed. Today I did a fairly steep climb, also on a singletrack, with loose gravel, some big rock-outcroppings and my NN didn't skip a beat. I'd say its probably halfway worn already, but still performs like a champ. It's also nice having a lighter tire out back as it allows you to pivot on the front tire and kick the tail in the desired direction during slower, more technical descents.

It was 75 degrees out and kinda hot so when I started my ride I decreased tire pressure by about 1 to 2 psi, front and back. I was probably riding with 19 / 20 respectively and, as I surmised, the wheels got a little harder as the ride got hotter. Good call on my part and I had a safe and enjoyable ride :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just came from 2 rides recently that really enforce my choice for setup and my style of riding. The other day we were descending a VERY rocky, technical single track and my front HD tire just gave me that confident grip I needed. Today I did a fairly steep climb, also on a singletrack, with loose gravel, some big rock-outcroppings and my NN didn't skip a beat. I'd say its probably halfway worn already, but still performs like a champ. It's also nice having a lighter tire out back as it allows you to pivot on the front tire and kick the tail in the desired direction during slower, more technical descents.

It was 75 degrees out and kinda hot so when I started my ride I decreased tire pressure by about 1 to 2 psi, front and back. I was probably riding with 19 / 20 respectively and, as I surmised, the wheels got a little harder as the ride got hotter. Good call on my part and I had a safe and enjoyable ride :)
Good to hear about that combo as my HD 2.35 Trail Star should be here tomorrow. I'll throw it on the front and keep running the stock NN 2.25 performance on the back for now. I too love low pressure 18/20 right now. I'm addicted to the grip low pressure affords and un-weight my bike over real rough stuff avoiding pinch-flats pretty successfully. I may put an 2.35 HD on the back too eventually when I'm ready to go tubeless. If I do should it be Pace Star or Trail Star? Also will my Trance take that wide of a tire in the back?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts