Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Schwalbe has these Eddy Current tires intended as an e-bike tire.

Front:
- 27.5 x 2.8 (70-584), SuperGravity casing, Addix Soft (Orange stripe), Tubeless Easy, "E-25" rating
- 29 x 2.6 (65-622)
- 29 x 2.4 (62-622)

Rear:
- 27.5 x 2.8 (70-584), SuperGravity casing, Addix Soft (Orange), Tubeless Easy, "E-25" rating
- 29 x 2.6 (65-622)

I got my hands on a rear 27.5 x 2.8, for my big "experimental" bike.

Estimated weight was 1350g, but I measured 1520g.

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Bicycle accessory Synthetic rubber

It was quite tight fitting, able to form an airtight seal in the rim's inner channel. I had to firmly "massage" the tire on little by little for the last 20%, to get it over the rim flange (Stan's). No "rotation" direction, so I just threw it on; I later learned that the stripe goes on the non-drive side.

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Automotive tire Bicycle part

Rode it once so far, on a 40 mile ride, and I got the impression that I want to try leave it on this bike and attempt to wear this out. It's obviously slow, but it seems to suit my bike and my riding style well. I linked up with a ride buddy, who's nicknamed the goat, whose bike (Scalpel Si) is intentionally built to keep up with the fastest riders in our group, to hit a variety of the local XC stuff. He went easy today, but I'm joining him again tomorrow. Got it logged in Strava to track its mileage.

Quality wise, from external inspection: can see the diagonal casing "seam"/overlap spot on the sidewall, the knobs are off by like a mm at the center where the molds come together, beads at least look consistently shaped without flash (seen better from Panaracer), but was impressed with how the inside was "textured". Didn't test if it could hold air without sealant, but I know from prior personal experience with a Schwalbe DD ridden relatively recklessly that it's not impossible. I was able to seat it with a pump, but oddly witnessed the tire come *fully* unseated when I released air.

Textile Leather

Killed a couple rear tires in the last few months, a 27.5 DHR2 EXO and Rocket Ron, I think from pinch/snakebite. Didn't want to give up my style of ignoring the rear, and just plowing, so I got this tire instead. Overcompensation... I figured it'd make me stronger, and I haven't been able to properly wear out tires in a while, so I wanted a bit of change. This one feels quite firm at 17 psi (rec range 17-38 psi), but ran it at 20 psi anyways, to play it safe for the first ride.

Rode stuff worthy of beefy tires yesterday, but today was a fitness test, which I passed:

Plant community Landscape Ecoregion Shrubland Fell

The closest tire I can compare it to is the Kenda Hellcat (AGC RSR ICB), which isn't plus sized. The only expectation in which it let me down is its out-of-the-saddle climbing grip--it was scratching for grip, which I don't believe I had a problem with before on this bike with other rear tires.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Perhaps the out-of-saddle climbing trait was intended, as I got a comment that this tire throws roosts.

Still impressed by it though. Enjoying every bit of opening up to it, trying to find its limits. That and it just looks rad.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.