Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright. I need some help here. I am runnig schwalb racing ralphs on my mavic crossmax st wheels and the darn thing simply will not hold air. I intially used about 1 scoop of stans in there and with a compressor it was pretty hard to get the beed to pop into the rim. put some more stans in and it has been olding ok but I air it up to about 28 psi and in a couple of days I am down to no air at all. I have not checked the beed to see if stans is blocking up the contact spot but I thought I would check in on this. I have tried to go supper light and gotten burned and had to walk out of the woods some and I am worried I am looking at the same problem coming my way here. Please tell me I am doing something wrong here as I want to like these tires.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
figured it out

I just figured out my problem. If you look at the tire bead you will notice the tire has slight imperfections from the molding process. I took the tire off and cleaned the bead well then I took very fine sand paper and sanded down the imperfections. I put the tire back on and it has held air ever since. Actually running it at the right pressure I am really impressed with the performance of this tire.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
If you are using UST tires, you shouldn't have any problems. If you are using non-UST tires, it takes a lot more work: more trial and error, and lots of Stans to clog up any imperfections. Schwalbe UST's are one of the best out there. So are Mavic UST rims.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mavic Rocks and for that matter so does schwalb

As far as reading the directions, I did do that. As far as the issues I initally reportedm the tire I was having trouble with is a non ust tire. I have now got it on my primary wheelset and they are holding air perfectly. I think the issue for a non ust schwalb is to check the bead and be sure to remove any imperfections.

Anyhow I am not as happy as a tick.

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
RickMabus said:
As far as reading the directions, I did do that. As far as the issues I initally reportedm the tire I was having trouble with is a non ust tire. I have now got it on my primary wheelset and they are holding air perfectly. I think the issue for a non ust schwalb is to check the bead and be sure to remove any imperfections.

Anyhow I am not as happy as a tick.
Glad it worked out for you. But you didn't indicate in your first post that you were using non-UST tires. Happy holidays.

·
MTB Ninja
41 Posts
I run Schwalbe RR quite a bit. Standard tires on either standard rims w/rimstrip or UST rims without. Typically the imperfection that gives problems for me is the excess rubber that comes off the bead where the tire is seamed together. Just the little thin flimsy stuff hanging off the bead. Schwalbe seam to have a lot of this stuff on the bead.

Not sure what "imperfections" you are talking about here. Is what i described what you fixed?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The imperfections I was seeing really were a slight line of rubber that went verticle to the bead right in the bead. It was tiny but I am guessing it was just enough to cause the thing to leak air ever so slightly. I am really happy with it now I really like this tire and it gave a rediculous ammount of confidence on the trail. I have always set the Hutch python as the standard and now I am totally impressed with the Racing Ralph compared to the Python. the new standard!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.