Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Schrader valves forever, including my tubeless setups. I ordered a new bike and it has Presta valves and while my first inclination is to chuck them and drill the rims for Schraders I'm open to being persuaded to keep the Prestas. The main issue I have is that my system for injecting the Stan's sealant threads right on to a Schrader valve. That plus the larger diameter makes sense to me for injecting the sealant. Thoughts?

·
Registered
794 Posts
When you pull the core out of a Presta valve the nozzle of one of the little 2 oz Stan's bottles fits right in. Squeeze until empty, re-install core, done. I have nothing against Schrader and still use it with tubes in one of my older bikes, but there's really no loss of convenience with Presta valves and tubeless set up.

·
Registered
18,789 Posts
Why not just try it first and save yourself the extra work? In time you might come to the conclusion that it doesn’t make any stinking difference.

Stan’s will squirt right in through the presta valve after you remove the core.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The inside diameter is the same. They both work just fine with no advantage to either. I would just use them as is.
The bike is coming with tubes. There was $65 upcharge to ship tubeless so I opted out as I can easily set it up tubeless myself without spending any money. I have Schrader tubeless valves on hand and would have to buy Prestas. 5 minutes with a drill and I'm done. Also threading the tube directly onto the Schrader valve with my injector system that draws sealant from the quart bottle is hard to beat so I'll stick with that. I do appreciate the information though.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The bike is coming with tubes. There was $65 upcharge to ship tubeless so I opted out as I can easily set it up tubeless myself without spending any money. I have Schrader tubeless valves on hand and would have to buy Prestas. 5 minutes with a drill and I'm done. Also threading the tube directly onto the Schrader valve with my injector system that draws sealant from the quart bottle is hard to beat so I'll stick with that. I do appreciate the information though.
If you were so sure you had the answer, I wonder why you posted this thread in the first place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.