Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Generally presta valves are believed to be lighter, but I've never weighed them against each other. Wheel weight is going to be determined alot more by rim, hub, and spoke selection so I wouldn't even worry about what valve is used. I have Alex DP20 rims that originally took presta valves, but I ended up drilling the holes out to accept a schrader valve after I had 3 presta valve failures in the same month. Maybe I was too rough on them, but they didn't hold up well to abuse in my experience. Schrader valves are much more robust and tougher to break when your reefing on a little trail pump after a flat.

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I like schraders. When possible, I drill out my rims for shrader valves, even if I'm using prestas.

A while back, I was doing a ride out in the middle of nowhere. I ran across a couple mountain bikers. One of them had a flat, and they had already used up their tubes. I offered them a tube with a shrader valve. Unfortunately, their rims would only fit a presta. :madman: Sucked to be them! Since I couldn't help them, I told them to have a nice day.

Having the rims with a shrader valve offers alternatives.
However, if you're using a tubeless system, the prestas may work better.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Blaster1200 said:
I like schraders. When possible, I drill out my rims for shrader valves, even if I'm using prestas.

A while back, I was doing a ride out in the middle of nowhere. I ran across a couple mountain bikers. One of them had a flat, and they had already used up their tubes. I offered them a tube with a shrader valve. Unfortunately, their rims would only fit a presta. :madman: Sucked to be them! Since I couldn't help them, I told them to have a nice day.

nice, thats why I carry a patch kit AND a tube :thumbsup: never know when you will have more than 1 flat

·
Banned
462 Posts
Blaster1200 said:

drilling your rims makes them weaker no?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
All the Mavic rims I have came drilled for Schrader, but have plastic reducers for Presta so I can use either - Mavic XM321 and XM117.

Becane73 said:
drilling your rims makes them weaker no?

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
jfatkd said:
I have two sets on mtb wheels one for schradder valves the other for presta. Are there advantages of one or the other? Would one be lighter?
Besides the ability to fill shraders at gas stations, I've never noticed any advantage of one over the other.

Theoretical advatages that I've read include rim strength, tendency to tear valves, leakage. I have never found any of these to be of any practical value.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,437 Posts
Well does anybody know if there is a choice when ordering Mavic rims? I have had a couple of Mavic 317 rims that came Presta drilled. And that is what I have always ran. Well I just received my Mavic 729 rims back from being built. They are on the bike and I just noticed that my bike shop used Shrader valved tubes. The rims are drilled for Shrader. I would have ordered the rims drilled for Presta had I known there is a choice while ordering. Once again something my bike shop didn't inform me of during the ordering process. I assumed that they would be drilled as Presta concidering every other Mavic rim I have ever bought came in drilled Presta style. So here I sit with a bunch of spare Presta tubes from years of riding them. And my new "bling" wheels are shrader style. I guess I will have to get the little reducers to be able to go Presta. :madman: This LBS is pissing me off.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I thought the little reducers that came with my Mavic XM117 rims were metal. First time I had presta so the spare tube I was carrying was schrader, when I got a flat I was praying to god that the rims did actually fit schrader valves (LBS said they did) because I really didn't want to get the puncture kit out - yep always carry one of those as well as a tube. I only ride about an hour away from home usually but an hours riding is a much longer time walking!

Practical purposes presta are easier to inflate (don't get pushed into the rim) & easier to deflate compared to schrader.
Schrader, well you can use any pressure gague and you can run fancy caps on them too. Easier to put slime into the schraders as well - or anything else for that matter (not that I ever have).
Which do I prefer? Don't really know, I've currently got a presta up front & schrader on the rear!

·
46,437 Posts
energetix said:
I thought the little reducers that came with my Mavic XM117 rims were metal. First time I had presta so the spare tube I was carrying was schrader, when I got a flat I was praying to god that the rims did actually fit schrader valves (LBS said they did) because I really didn't want to get the puncture kit out - yep always carry one of those as well as a tube. I only ride about an hour away from home usually but an hours riding is a much longer time walking!

Practical purposes presta are easier to inflate (don't get pushed into the rim) & easier to deflate compared to schrader.
Schrader, well you can use any pressure gague and you can run fancy caps on them too. Easier to put slime into the schraders as well - or anything else for that matter (not that I ever have).
Which do I prefer? Don't really know, I've currently got a presta up front & schrader on the rear!
Thats all great but can anyone answer my above question's.Seeing how I brought this thread back out of the archives for a reason.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Thats all great but can anyone answer my above question's.Seeing how I brought this thread back out of the archives for a reason.
Then start a new thread. It's not like the world owes you anything :rolleyes:

·
46,437 Posts
womble said:
Then start a new thread. It's not like the world owes you anything :rolleyes:
Hey dont you have some place to womble over too.:D Oh and sorry if I sounded like the world owes me anything.
Its just that I am a little bit pissed off at my LBS right now. Sorry if I am venting through my fingertips.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sorry I didn't realize the thread was an old one brought up again - I was replying mainly to the original question.

My mavic XM117 rims were OEM on the Trance & came drilled out for schrader with a presta insert. So yes you will probably have to get an insert and should be able to do so if you want to run a presta. On the options question I have no idea - best to call Mavic on that.

I get the gist that your issue isn't really about schrader vs presta, more about wether you should have been given the choice when getting your rims. You made an assumption instead of asking either way so the outcome really depends on negotiations with your LBS, and like you are trying to if you find out that Mavic does offer a choice then it's more likely it will go in your favour.

All I can say is good luck in sorting it out. Otherwise I don't think it's a big deal unless you are dead against schraders.
Presta tubes are probably lighter. A one sided view in regards to rims is that schrader ones are lighter (bigger hole drilled equals more material drilled out) and I said one sided because I don't know wether they make exactly the same rim and then just drill different holes or if schrader rims are made stronger thus heavier due to the bigger hole.

·
46,437 Posts
energetix said:
Sorry I didn't realize the thread was an old one brought up again - I was replying mainly to the original question.

My mavic XM117 rims were OEM on the Trance & came drilled out for schrader with a presta insert. So yes you will probably have to get an insert and should be able to do so if you want to run a presta. On the options question I have no idea - best to call Mavic on that.

I get the gist that your issue isn't really about schrader vs presta, more about wether you should have been given the choice when getting your rims. You made an assumption instead of asking either way so the outcome really depends on negotiations with your LBS, and like you are trying to if you find out that Mavic does offer a choice then it's more likely it will go in your favour.

All I can say is good luck in sorting it out. Otherwise I don't think it's a big deal unless you are dead against schraders.
Presta tubes are probably lighter. A one sided view in regards to rims is that schrader ones are lighter (bigger hole drilled equals more material drilled out) and I said one sided because I don't know wether they make exactly the same rim and then just drill different holes or if schrader rims are made stronger thus heavier due to the bigger hole.
Well you make alot of valid points. But my assumpion was based on previous S/Oing Mavic rims. And they came in as presta with out my LBS asking which one I desired, during the ordering process. And now I bite the bullet and order some sweet CK hubs and mavic rims. I wait a month for everything to arrive and my LBS builds the rims with out telling me everything had arrived. At the time I thought oh well I guess I dont get to check them out before they build them. Fast forward to picking up the bike and I get home and set the bike aside. Two days pass and I am checking the bike out and something looks a little different. "No way" they used shrader valved tubes. And the rims are drilled for Shrader. I thought that is weird why didn't my LBS ask me what I preferred when ordering. My question is "do the bike shops have a box that they check off on the order form describing, Presta or Shrader? Now I have Shrader drilled rims that are very expensive with no desire to run Shrader. And a garage full of spare presta tubes that I have been using for years. :madman: I can see the rims coming in as Presta and the customer redrilling them to Shrader after the fact. But once the rims are drilled for shrader you can not go back [to the proper way of running presta].

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know the likelyness of the scenario but for some reason a question going through my head is: "Did the LBS give you OEM rims that they had lying around?" Is it a possibility that the LBS never ordered you brand newies like asked and built your wheels up with some rims they already had in store, which may have been OEM originally?
If you can indeed find out wether schrader / presta is an option you would have a better idea if there is any funny business going on. Never had wheels built myself so I don't really know how the process works, and I guess it depends on the LBS as to the level of communication and customer service they offer.

·
46,437 Posts
energetix said:
Hmmm, I don't know the likelyness of the scenario but for some reason a question going through my head is: "Did the LBS give you OEM rims that they had lying around?" Is it a possibility that the LBS never ordered you brand newies like asked and built your wheels up with some rims they already had in store, which may have been OEM originally?
If you can indeed find out wether schrader / presta is an option you would have a better idea if there is any funny business going on. Never had wheels built myself so I don't really know how the process works, and I guess it depends on the LBS as to the level of communication and customer service they offer.
No worries Larry @ Mountain High Cyclery [Ventanarama] www.mountainhighcyclery.com answered my question for me. I should have purchased through him. He knows his business better than any bike shop personel I have ever dealt with. He said the reason these rims [Mavic 729] come drilled with shraider is because they are thier DH/FR specific rims. I am going to be buying some reducers so I can run Presta with them. The reason I like Presta better is they have a locking nut that holds the valve in place. Also they are lighter and I have a ton of spare Presta tubes laying around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.