Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a die hard SPD guy, started out cliped into classic Shimano DX 636s (yeah, the red ones...you know you loved them too!) now favoring the M545 with 434 and 323 good & bad experiences, but the Egg Beaters have really cuaght my eye. I am a clydesdale (6' 1", 230#s) riding mostly XC hardtails, my beloved 97 heckler and a recently finished buget 1x1 which I will give the old college try. So, what's the story with these seemingly ingenius, scary small, uber light Egg pedals? Between pedals & new shoes, it's a bit of a investment for house poor boozer with bad bike habit. Gracias - Scott

·
Registered
78 Posts
the egg beaters have a claimed 185lb weight limit, although I am sure they are being conservative to avoid lawsuits.

from what I have read the people that don't like them talk a lot about the fact that if you hit something hard on the bottom of the pedal it can actually unclip you, at bad times this can be really unfortunate for you if you get a knee to the face.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dropspace said:
the egg beaters have a claimed 185lb weight limit, although I am sure they are being conservative to avoid lawsuits.
Actually, the only model with a weight restriction is the 4ti model (their lightest model). The Ti, SL, C and MXR do not have any weight restriction.

check out: http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php

I am 275lbs. ride the SL model and have not had a problem in over a year. Excellent in my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I initially used the Eggbeater Cs and broke the 'wings' on three.
NOTE: Crank Bros were VERY good with warranty and replaced them each time.
I switched/upgraded to the Eggbeater SLs and after more than 3000km I haven't had a wing break since.:thumbsup:
With SPDs the cleats are harder than the pedal, whereas with eggbeaters the cleats are of a softer metal than the pedal. (I'm guessing to prolong the life of the pedal itself.)
This means the cleats do need to be replaced fairly quickly or you'll 'pop' out of the pedal at inopportune moments.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, sounds like the SL's are the way to go. Do Egg's work with any SPD compatible shoes? I currently ride Northwave 3/4 tops.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Scott_in_Jersey said:
Thanks for the info, sounds like the SL's are the way to go. Do Egg's work with any SPD compatible shoes? I currently ride Northwave 3/4 tops.
Yep, SPD compatible. I really like these pedals.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,022 Posts
The titanium spindle eggbeaters have the weight limit, but that said;

I used 545s for the longest time. I used a few others too, but I got eggbeaters and mallets for my other bike, and I was sorry. They were no where as durable. The entry was no where as predicatable (sometimes my foot would "roll" off the eggbeater mech while attempting to click in). I find the release with the spds far more consistant (they will release if you turn your heel inwards, but I've had problems with the eggbeaters and this fairly rare, but still possible situation). You have control with the spds as far as release, so if you want more tension or less, you can adjust it that way. Your "stuck" with the eggbeaters. I also don't like how fast the cleats wear, that also leads to unpredictability as far as the release is concerned. One of the scarriest features is the fact that if you hit an object with the bottom side of your pedal, it can RELEASE you and with your pedaling force your knee will fly up and smack the handle bar or the stem. It's painfull. I've gotten nice comments when using my 545s from other riders behind me; "wow, I saw sparks fly off your pedal when you hit that rock". The same kind of impacts that never phased my 545s have bent eggbeater pedal bodys, and in fact I have broken a few eggbeater/mallet spindles. The mechanism also sticks out further below your shoe compared to the mechanism in the 545s which goes "flat" when you clip in. The construction is shoddy, there is a nut that loosens over time allowing the bearing to be killed and the pedal body to slide off the spindle, this also happened to me more than once.

Eggbeaters got LOTS of hype at first, but I don't find their products to be very strong or well made. They just have a couple definite advantages, but plenty of disadvantages. Eggbeaters do have a weight advantage, and an advantage in mud, but that is it IMO.

I went back to 545s and I'm happy again, bashing my pedals on rocks with no qualms. The eggbeaters didn't stand up to the abuse, and although the company stood behind the product and always offered a rebuild kit, replacement or fixed a problem, I simply got tired of having to constantly fix them. A subpar product is subpar, no matter how good the customer service is.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reality check J. I have had similar positive experiences with the indestuctibility of the 545s.

I once broke a 434 resin cage on a tree root not a 1/4 mile into the ride, bumber. Replacement cage was inexpensive, but hard to order through Shimano as they only deal with shops.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
If you are considering the Eggbeaters and want a pedal without the cage you could take a look at the virtually indestructible 959 or their non-titanium brother, the 540. Unlike the Eggbeaters you still have a small platform if you don't want to clip in.

Ronnie.

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Egg Beaters are extrememly durable. And if they do break, the nice people at Crank Brothers will promptly fix things. Egg beaters handle mud quite easily as the open clip mechanism allows mud to push through without clogging anything up. If you're riding in very rocky terrain, they may not be the best as the mechanism can release if you end up standing the pedal on another surface (like a rock).

Crank Brothers have a very large and quite loyal following. No doubt the pedals are not perfect and some prefer other brands. But don't let people tell you they are complete junk or unreliable. If this was the case, they wouldn't be selling so many. Nor would they be retaining so many loyal customers.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,022 Posts
willtsmith_nwi said:
But don't let people tell you they are complete junk or unreliable. If this was the case, they wouldn't be selling so many.

And if they do break, the nice people at Crank Brothers will promptly fix things.
You've answered your own question.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Before you decide, take a look at the TIME ATAC pedals. Do a search of previous post on pedals. the TIME pedals are very durable and reliable unlike the Leg Beaters.

·
Banned
462 Posts
I have the eggbeater originals which are similar to the SL version. They are great and little over a half a pound for both. I banged them against rocks and dropped my bike many times and they still look brand new. Mud has never ever ever been an issue. I'm in love with my eggbeaters.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
I only use clipless on my XC bike (5-Spot) and I'm running the CB Mallets. I ran 545s for a long time, but I really hated their performance in mud. The Mallets work great in mud.

Since they're on my XC bike I haven't had any issues because they really see no abuse. I've got one DH racer friend though who's broken at least two of the spring clips and last week a spindle. Lucky for us CB is local so we can stop in and have stuff fixed.

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Egg Beaters are way different than SPDs. Your foot can rotate freely side to side by several degrees, which is a big plus if you've got knee or ankle problems. Mud clearance is way better than SPDs too. If you're used to the ski-boot "click" that SPDs give when you clip out, Beaters will be a real adjustment as the cage kind of squeezes the cleat the whole way out. This can make it kind of hard to tell if you're in or out, but I've never had my Egg Beaters fail to disengage in a crash. I definitely can't say this about the 3 different pairs of SPDs I've owned. I've also never had any durability issues with my Egg Beaters. I've had mine since Crank Brothers started making them, and they've lived through countless rock strikes. I only ditched them this year because they've gotten too worn to really be rideable.

The main thing I didn't like about SPDs is that the float is so uncontrolled that when you stand on the pedals it feels like you're standing on ice cubes. The wishy-washy disengagement bugged me too. I just bought a pair of Time ATACs and so far they seem to be a happy medium.

·
Five is right out
3,174 Posts
Consider Time ATACs

ATACs are functionally similar to Eggbeaters, only reputed to be more durable.

I've had the same pair for 4 years with no maintenance and no problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts