Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I have been seriously thinking of buying a dawg or coiler. how does the 4 bar suspension compare with others-dw-link, vvp others esp in application to a all mtn or freeride bike. as I remember is kona's 4 bar equivalent to a single pivot?

with the new rear shocks with pro-pedal is 4 bar efficient as a climber. issues with braking? their bearings/bushing? maintenance? honoring warranty?

thanks for any and all thoughts and input.
tl

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
It all depends on suspension setup, as far as efficient climbing goes. Get a Fox and crank the Propedal and it'll pedal as well as any of the others.

As far as the suspension design as a whole, 4 bar can't really compare and isn't in the same league as DW, VPP.

·
To "Air" Is Human
744 Posts
The answers to most of your questions can be found here: Clicky Clicky

As a dealer I have dealt with the warranty's of many companies. Kona is super easy to work with and also from my own experience...they simply don't break as often as other bike brands.

With 5" of travel the floating brake is not really needed. Hope this helps.

·
Tricky
12 Posts
The Kona faux-bar system pedals just fine with a pro-pedal rear shock (Fox DHX 4 on mine), however I do notice a bit of brake jack when trying to kill speed on fast rough sections. On the up side it seems a pretty robust setup, I've been thrashing my Coiler for three years now and the origional pivots & bearings still seem fine.

I'm using my bike as a freeride rig and if setting up a newer model would seriously consider a DOPE floating brake kit, but for Dawg or CoilAir as an all-mountain ride I wouldn't bother.

·
Tricky
12 Posts
Hmmmm, others in it's class... I'd consider the coiler as a light freeride that can be used as a heavy duty trail bike with the right build.

So "others in its class" would be
- Specialized SX Trail
- Giant Reign X
- Santa Cruz Bullet
- Transition Preston FR
- Banshee Chapperal
etc. etc.

NOTE: I've got an '05 (same frame as '06) and couldn't really comment on the '07 or new '08 "magic link"

I like my Coiler. I'm down here in NZ and due to importers marketing strategy Kona's are a mass-market bike and are real value for money compared to what I'd pay for any of the other bikes listed above, all of which are more up-market brands here. however if another one was gonna cost me the same as the alternatives listed above then I donno....

Pros:
-Only 6" of rear travel, but built like a brick shithouse and suitable for freeriding. Up for much more abuse that 6" trail bikes like a Spec. Enduro or Giant Reign.
-The '05 & '06 models can take a full length seatpost, making them easier to pedal uphill even for tall guys. The '07 has a mounting bolt for the DOPE breaking system on the seat tube which interfers with seat post insertion but I don't know how much of a problem it is.
-With a pro-pedal rear shock pedals really well.
-Value for money (here at least)
-Suspension components (bearings & pivots) hard wearing.

Cons:
- Only 6" of rear travel :)
- Single pivot rear suspension somewhat prone to brake jack. Can be solved with DOPE floating brake kit in '07 model.
- Quite high standover and BB height compared to some alternatives. Good for ground clearance through rockgardens but puts my centre of gravity a long way off the ground. Doesn't seem to rail corners as well as some.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have an '07 Coiler and I really enjoy it. I bought it so I could access dh trails that aren't shuttleable or lift accessed as it's geometry is really more towards the dh side of things. I think it climbs great, especially compared to other bikes I've owned, however, I generally only climb on forest roads to get to the trails, and then descend from there, so I can't really say how it climbs on singletrack.

On forest road climbs, for me, it climbs better than my '05 Enduro Expert (which I am getting rid of after riding the Coiler). On the descents it absolutely rips...the steeper and faster it gets the better it handles. On slower, less steep singletrack it is too slacked out for my tastes and tends to steer a little slower than what I would like for such a ride.

As far as the single pivot suspension, I have had a Bullitt in the past to compare it to and I feel the Coiler's rear suspension is more active with less brake induced lockout (I do not have the D.O.P.E. system installed). Keep in mind those 2 examples are of different types of single pivot designs but it is interesting to me to see how pivot placement can affect suspension and braking action.

To sum up, it works as an all mountain bike for me, as long as there is steep, technical, and/or fast riding involved. I bought it for descending. For trails that are not as steep or fast I would have leaned towards the Dawg to get a little quicker response in the handling.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply.
anyone else?
I also came across iron horse 6 point 6, how would it compare. Are there others in this category-looking to spend $2000 +/- few hundred dollars?

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
I have a stock 07 coiler and it is sick!! I have yet do do damage on it. With the wipe out i get I surprised. Climbing is a breeze and decents like a beast. The only problem i have had is my brake rotor getting warped and fu+ked up. But Kona is all about the frame. The spec are all changeable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.